How do you cut out your head stocks in a one peice three string neck. I have been using my jig saw, but not geting very even cuts.....I guess I can cut and sand afterwards........on that note....food for thought...when you see a band saw at the local flea market for 10 dollars and think you would never use it, BUY IT ANyWAy! You can at least use it later on or sell it for more down the road...Come on....what is ten dollars! (Still kicking myself for missing that buy)

Views: 5578

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No I don't think so.... It's just a sled that would run in the miter track on your table saw. The fence could be wood you just want to be able to clamp the neck blank to the fence and then of course make certain where you hands are when you make the cut... Oh yea and always wear safety glasses.... hope this helps Jim

colin mcgrath said:
Jim is there any secret in making one of those jig's?

Jim Mitchell said:
here are the shots of the scarf- jig and the headstock as requested. There are more pics on my page.
yes it does. My only wonder is on the angle track (if there is one) that would allow for me to know the degrees of the cut. I have never used or made a jig before so this is new territory.

Jim Mitchell said:
No I don't think so.... It's just a sled that would run in the miter track on your table saw. The fence could be wood you just want to be able to clamp the neck blank to the fence and then of course make certain where you hands are when you make the cut... Oh yea and always wear safety glasses.... hope this helps Jim

colin mcgrath said:
Jim is there any secret in making one of those jig's?

Jim Mitchell said:
here are the shots of the scarf- jig and the headstock as requested. There are more pics on my page.
This is mine. Ser up to allow different angles to be cut.

Finally got a pick ......

Matt
WOOOOOOOOO , I got my big bandsaw from Lowes the other week, and its kick butt time!!!!!!!!!
I can cut the whole neck length and cut the angle for the headstock at the same time , finish sand and that neck is ready for finishing.
WOW! I wish I'd had this new bandsaw all along,,,,,,
I'm thinking about selling my old little 9 inch bandsawto somebody that needs a bandsaw "starter" set up. My new 1 is a 14 inch and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey Diane, come down here and git yerself and slightly used little bandsaw!!!!!!!!!!
router table for the past year, Now I have a band saw.
I cut my scarf joints on a Triton Work Bench which is set up as a table saw. It includes a sliding triangular piece which can be set for any angle of cut as shown in the photograph. Others jigs shown on this discussion are similar in design.

The joint can then be glued in either of the two following configurations. One shows a join in the head ( which could be covered by a veneer) the other shows a join in the side of the neck and in the fretboard ( a separate fretboard applied to the neck would cover this, but join in the neck still shows.

After gluing the joint the head can be reduced in thickness using the same jig as shown in the last photograph.

Hope this all helps. Happy building. John D
Hi,
When you glue these parts, do you use dowels or biscuits for extra support? Also how do you clamped the parts as they dry?
Daz
I glue with 5 min Araldite and keep an eye on the joint for slippage. Simply clamp lightly. If you search these forums you will find that some people use a couple of dress pins driven into one side of the joint and then snipped off so that just a little protrudes into the other half of the joint when clamped. This works for gluing fretboards also. Dowels would be a solution, but I think they would only be used for stopping sliping. The joint seems strong enough without any extras. A drilled hole in each say 4 mm deep x 2.5 mm diam could have a cut-off nail inserted to act as a dowel.

You could also use an already constructed angled head/neck joint as a clamping rig.
John D

Darren Gosing said:
Hi,
When you glue these parts, do you use dowels or biscuits for extra support? Also how do you clamped the parts as they dry?
Daz
I line them up dry and make a few pencil lines that cross from head to neck for later alignment. After applying glue to the surfaces, I clamp them both to the table and then to each other, using those pencil lines to watch for slipping. A bit of wax paper underneath keeps it tidy.

Darren Gosing said:
Hi,
Daz
Yep, Band saw here too.... easy..... way easy.... and for 10 bucks, please let me kick you for not buying it!!!!

On another note, I have seen many done with just mitre box saws for the angled necks and it doesn't seem difficult either. I'll probably do one of my next ones that way.... I like Ben's way of doing it as well....
Great stuff, John! Thanks for the photos!

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->