BUILD OFF!!! 2014 Cigar Box Ukulele Contest submission thread

Cigar Box Ukulele Contest!
Cigar Box Nation is looking for the most artistic, wildest, most radical or most visionary cigar box ukulele.  Do you think your creations are the best? Show them to us.  The rules are simple:
1.  The instrument must be made from a real cigar box.
2.  It must fit within the classification of a ukulele (Uke soprano, concert,  tenor or baritone scale + 4 nylon strings).
3.  Instruments made from cigar box ukulele kits or from dismantled old ukes are acceptable as well as instruments fully made in your own workshop.
4.  Instrument must be built by you.
Two prizes will be awarded from C. B. Gitty Crafter Supply.
Grand prize: $50 C. B. Gitty prize pack + $50 C. B. Gitty gift certificate
Runner up:  $25 C. B. Gitty prize pack + $25 C. B. Gitty gift certificate 
How to submit your entry:
  1. Build the greatest cigar box ukulele you can
  2. Take THREE pictures of your entry.  Three pictures only (no photoshops of several angles in one pic).
  3. Post your pictures in this submission thread along with any fun details about your instrument.

Contest runs from May 9, 2014 - June 30, 2014.  Enter as many instruments as you wish.

In any case of changes to these rules will be posted on the home page of Cigar Box Nation and also in this group.

Views: 14319

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice.

19" scale baritone resonator uke ( the one on the left). Top is Maple/Wenge/Zebra. Sides are laminated pine. Neck is maple with Mahogany ears and rosewood fretboard. Back is mahogany. Biscuit is maple topped with the Zebra and wenge removed from the hole. the grain matches if you look close. Cone and tail are from Old Lowe. Fretboard was done by Dan Sleep. Randy and Mojobone Works supplies all my bone blanks.

I'm not knocking any of these beautiful instruments, but I see a few that aren't eligible for the contest, and I imagine as we get closer to the deadline the thread will get rather cluttered with images. Just a thought y'all.

metal strings isit

not cigar box  ?

Can't believe it took 24 hours for someone to call me out. There are no rules unless there are rules. Viva the revolution as long as it's not too revolutionary. ;) Feel free to disqualify me.

Lol. Fair enough. I ain't a judge. Those resos are sweet.

They are still great looking builds. If My wife were a judge the Corgie uke would be the winner.

Here she is. I hopa you like-a a Ukulele Lady =) I have sound samples if anyone wants. Good luck!

I think that is beautiful. ...how did you do the pic?...

This is a tenor uke I built. I only posted two pics because I thought it was enough. What I like about this uke is the Danelectro style head stock, the positioning of the bridge maximizes the out put of the sound board and I tried to use as much re-purposed hardware as I could with out sacrificing tone or playability. For me an instrument can't just look good on the wall it has to sound good and this uke delivers. I have a video on my page if anyone whats to check it out. The title is Harmonious Blacksmith.

http://www.cigarboxnation.com/video/harmonious-blacksmith

Here is tenor uke I have named The Mystic. Unique features: Ebony finger board with pua shell inlay in the shape of the big dipper; Hand made lucite nut and saddle (saddle is compensated on the C string); ebony stained rosewood bridge; nautical theme decorations; Grover ukulele tuning machines. I mixed paint to match the lucite and painted details into the embellishments on the sound board. Rod piezo under the saddle.  I installed a veneer from a sheet that was in the cigar box on the back of the head stock so the box logo repeats back there.

Ok Ok its not a cigar box but the body is recycled shipping palette and the head is tacked on and heat shrunk soda bottle (PET). Thanks to JimMorriss http://www.cigarboxnation.com/profile/JimMorris for the idea.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->