I've lost several sales because the customer didnt think they could get their CBG on the plane to go back home.So,,,,,,,,,,
Does anybody have an idea on how to structure a "full size" appearing CBG 3 string that customers CAN get on a plane?
I've been looking at possibly moving the 3 tuners to the back of the CBG instead of the traditonal place.
Any ideas guys n gals?

Views: 285

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Maybe you could look into boxing and shipping them for folks.
Cost for shipping by the post office is cheaper than anybody, shouldn't cost anymore than $20.00 at the most. I have bought strummers from Tinyguitars and the cost was around $13.50 from VA to NY.
I brought mine on a plane the day I made it with no issues.
Have a 24.5" scale. Granted, the box isn't huge, but I had no problems. The CBG even fit on top of my carryon bag. One plane my bag wouldn't fit in the overhead, so the bag went under the seat and the CGB up top. You just have to watch when the overhead compartments get opened to make sure it doesn't catch someone in the face or that someone isn't overly violent wrestling their bags out.

I am also a fan off supporting my friends at the post office, so that could be a good option too.
I carry'd one recently on a plane with no problem. Went through O'hare, and got quite a few stares from folks wondering what the heck it was! Anyway, fit's in the overhead just fine.
Thanks guys , thats a help. Now I can tell customers that its been done with no problems........
The TSA has regulations now that help you get instruments on the plane with you. Carrying a copy of the letter with you seems to help, although individual airlines can still choose to interpret however they like. If it works for guitars and cellos, it should be cinch for something like a CBG.

Or...

Depending on construction, you can make it a "takedown" model and remove the neck from the box and pack it safely in a shipping tube while the box travels in your luggage.
Maybe the next time you fly, take a cbg & get photo of you on the plane with it.
The key is overcoming your customer's objection.
All you really have to do is prove to them that it can be done & tell them the story of how u did it.

I've travelled all over the world with a mini Maton, similar in size to the mini taylor (much bigger than a cbg)
I have never been told that I couldnt take it on the plane. Steinberger guitars were made specifically to cater for the jetsetting musician. they were a similar size to a cbg.

Just pop some silica gel bags in the sound hole & say, "there!! now you can take it on the plane"
It also depends on the carrier. Some airlines will say that they allow it in the bylaws... But, when you get on the plane they may require you to check it... It's been done before to some of my clients. There is actually a great story on that here:
Here's one more, Listen to what he says about carrying a guitar on...
Roger,

My sister took two CBGs from St. Louis to the Philippines. two domestic flights and one international... she carried them on, held them in her lap for take off and landings and just laid them across open seats inflight...

no problem at all.

the best,

Sam
Thanks Sam,,
Another selling point LOL They can carry them on board then play for the passengers and busk for extra money ,,LOL
I travel on planes with guitars often. I had one guitar broken. Now I know better. First never check a guitar unless you own a flight case like anvil. Unfortunately, these cases are very expensive. Go with the "Gate Check". The guitar stills gets stored in baggage, but you release the guitar right when you walk on the plane, and receive it right when you get off. This avoid all the conveyor belts and loading with the bulk of the other luggage.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

Bobthrubass commented on Bobthrubass's status
"I know I'm logged in but I got a new laptop and I can't log in cause I can't…"
2 hours ago
BrianQ. commented on Bobthrubass's status
"You seemed to be successfully logged in? But you need to notify the moderator, because he probably…"
3 hours ago
BrianQ. liked Uncle John's photo
3 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Uncle John's photo
Thumbnail

Chugger Review 2nd from left

"Glad to see you have added a Chugger to your cigar box instrument ensemble! Looks like a fine…"
4 hours ago
Uncle John posted a photo

Chugger Review 2nd from left

Got my Chugger done a while back. It is second from the left in the photo.It uses a 3D printer fret…
6 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Shout with Joy to God: 2-String Chugger License Plate Cigar Box Guitar

"Thanks Uncle John! And, yes, I did put the psalm to music using my 6-string years ago (back in my…"
6 hours ago
Bobthrubass posted a status
"Sorry I haven"t been on here awhile. PLEASE let me Reset my PASSWORD!!!!!"
7 hours ago
Uncle John commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Shout with Joy to God: 2-String Chugger License Plate Cigar Box Guitar

"Very good.  Original song- did you put the psalm to music,  Doug?"
8 hours ago
Uncle John commented on Poorness Studios's video
8 hours ago
Uncle John commented on Dogleg Steve's video
Thumbnail

Fiddly Rag from the book Cigar Box Picking by Dogleg Steve

"Another very good one.  Thanks, Steve."
8 hours ago
8 hours ago
Thumbnail

My entry for C B Gitty's 4th International Cigar Box video playoffs 2023 Dogleg Steve St Martins Rag

"Good to see and hear you, Steve!  Sounding very fine.   A bright and happy song.…"
8 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->