This could be git related or not. So, what's on your workbench at the moment?

I have 4 scarf joint necks in different stages of work.

A 25" scale pine 5 string neck for a Banjo-Res, A 25" scale Red Oak neck for my 6 string Strat-Res build, A 24 & 1/2" scale Red Oak neck for my 6 string Double Cut Tele build and a 27" scale 6 string Baritone Conversion neck for a Modern Strat body I have.

Views: 30922

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A good wood burning stove and a fridge full of beer and I would live in the workshop! LOL

Nope Taffy. You can keep the heat. It'll get hot here soon enough. Hot with high humidity. It'll get so hot and humid making instant coffee will be a breeze. Just toss the instant coffee in the are and inhale. : )

As soon as the shop warms up this will be my next project. These will be salvaged from those round clamps I made earlier. They don't work very well. OK they don't work at all. :) Not every idea you get off the web is a good one. I have a hand full of six inch 1/4 threaded rods. And some at five inches. I'll be using the six inch ones for this project. The overall outside measurements are 9 1/2 wide by 8 inches tall. The clamp has a center reach of six inches. And an interior hight of 3 1/2 under the clamp screw. The clamp screw wont go all the way down. The smallest I'll be able to hold with this is 1 3/8 inches. At six inches it should be deep enough to reach any CBG bridge base to be clued down. Everything is to scale on the GIF. Can easily reach the center of a 10 x 2 inch cigar box. Will be made of 3/4 ply (pic in brown) and  1/2 ply ( pic in yellow). Glued and screwed together. 

Plywood measurements and screw sizes are shone to make the body of this vice. Because the threaded rod is not ideal in length I've left out the sizes for the handle and clamp head. Ideally the threaded rod should go all the way through the handle and out the top. So you could put a drill on it and power the clamp down most of the way. The threads are a lot smaller than on an normal hand cranked vice. Takes a lot of turns to bring it down into position. The makeup of the clamp head will be done like the guy in this video.

(Last paragraph didn't show up.) The head clamp idea starts at 7:50 into the vid. I like it because the bolt and washer spin freely inside the clamp head. With the two washers acting like bushings to keep the screw from binding into the wood. 

These look good but seem like a lot of work.  Also the nut in your diagram should be on the inside.

I was able to get some Filtertron tones out of the "Toasterbucker" pickups I got from Gitty by putting them up as close to the strings as possible on the BO Diddly so the 500k pots will stay for now.

I'm still working on the back of the neck. Just when I think I have it right, I pick it up again and it feels too big. Going for a Soft V profile.

Big problem is the Silver Glitter Paint that I put on under the Caymen Green Metallic didn't stick very good to the top and it's starting to come off a little bit at a time. I may end up scrapping it all off and starting over. (A real bummer)

Attachments:

sorry to hear about the paint, that sure did turn out really nice looking guitar. 

Thanks. I sanded the top good before hand. I believe the culprit is the glitter paint. They always give you problems and that can squirted on instead of spray on, must've been defective. I thought that it could be the top material, but Danelectro guitars used the same material and all their guitars were painted.

I may just paint Silver paint on first, then the Caymen Green Metallic and then spinkle some glitter on before the paint dries or forget the glitter altogether.

I'll finish working the neck before I do anything else and may just play it til the top finish all comes off on it's on before doing anything to it. I got other projects waiting.

Paul, ever try metallic automotive paint? I’ve used some from auto parts stores, some are OEM colors from major car manufacturers. They’ve also got some hot rod colors. The quality is worth trying? That guitar is awesome tho

I wanted a glitter finish being a BO Diddly Gretsch type guitar, but the only glitter paints available were Krylon Glitter Blast(had a 50-50 result with this paint) and this time I tried glitter paint by Rust-Oleum. Maybe I should go back to the Krylon, at least is stuck to what I sprayed and the finish result isn't as important since another color is going over it.

The Caymen Green Metallic is Dupli-Color Perfect Match auto paint. Their paint is great and I've used it on many builds. Very reliable paint, they just don't have any glitter paint. Haha  I use a Black Metalflake paint of theirs on my ES330 type guitar, but the flake is very small.  

Total bummer about the paint Paul. Really REALLY awesome looking guitar. In the long run it's best the paint failed now wile your still working on it. But that's the only bright side there is. Totally sucks. 

I noticed the reissues have a sparkle finish, my Gretsch original had a transparent reddish brown stain darker than the Country gentleman, still kicking myself in the ass for selling it! hope you figure things out? You may wanna ask around, if you know somebody who knows an auto body guy. They’ve got the materials for that large flake sparkle job  your going for?

I've always wanted a Gretsch Duo Jet/Firebird with Filtertron's with the Red Sparkle finish and a Bigsby. Haha

Hard to find professional grade products in a spray can these days and I'm working on a tight budget or I'd have a Gretsch Billy/BO by now. LOL

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->