i have seen shovel guitars. and heard of gas can instruments. what else is there out there lets hear it. i want to see what you guys got and how they work think it would be a great topic.

Views: 600

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Its seems to me, and Im only theorizing here, is that the softer the wood and looser the grain, the deeper the tone cause the wood would resonate more slowly. The harder the wood and tighter the grain, the wood would bring a brighter tone cause the wood would resonated faster and be more reactive. I suppose as well, the thinner the plank...brighter tone....thicker plank....deeper tone for the same reasons....thinner wood would react more quickly than thicker wood
that is what i was thinking on that to. i have not seen the boxs by the way.lols hint hint
What a rollercoaster ride this one has been! I think it is kind of cute that we can get so fired up about a bed pan guitar or such!! I think a lot of us with the build bug envision an instrument made out of just about anything. I have a really cool looking chair I pulled from the trash that will be an instrument one day! One thing I love about making your own instruments is that nobody can tell you that you are playing it wrong! " Yep, it's supposed to sound like THAT!" If it makes the dog howl, I'll take that as a compliment. The challenge of building something musical out of modest materials has a long, long history. Playing,building, both, enjoying is what it's about. Now if you can play and build at the same time.........................
Even with things getting heated up a bit on this thread I enjoyed feeling the passion.....very refreshing to see now-a-days. Now I have not been a member here long so I'm not known....I'm still working on my first build, having a hard time with finding/making the time due to my secular job and it's hours (grave shift) so I am up at night even on my days off and can't use my noisy power tools indoors or out. But I have been so amazed at the CBG builds I have seen here and read about., very inspiring, and the playing. As too not playing what you build or not playing just building, I have a friend how lives in the UK that if I'm correct in my recollection, he knows of a luthier who builds and does not play, I think he builds Mandocellos? , with that said I still like the idea of encouraging others to take up instrument playing, I've tried with my two sons but to no avail....Anyway, Happy Building and Playing , either or both........
yeah i have seen alot of different things in here. but what other woods are out there that people have seen used. and how did they sound. and what do you think is the best cigar box you guys have used and what was the different sound
I have used poplar,oak,maple, spanish cedar. I have played builds that use mahogany. anything works as long as it has the strength your build requires. My least favorite was the oak. It was extremely tough to work with. The strings sustain nice with a heavy wood like oak or mahogany. but the lighter softer woods seem to provide me better tone and feel.

christian pearson said:
yeah i have seen alot of different things in here. but what other woods are out there that people have seen used. and how did they sound. and what do you think is the best cigar box you guys have used and what was the different sound
how did the cedar sound? i have the chance to use bald cedar
ooooohhhh guys and girs. check out this site. great site grizzly.com luither suply site.

christian pearson said:
Very experimental...................Two liter Squirt bottles with air valves so they can be filled with air. This was the first version, sorry, can't find the one where the bottles faced the opposite direction. Ukulele reinterent tuning
Don
Attachments:
Back to the wood topic, I was just talking to a musician friend of mine (who just ordered a CBG from me :) ) and he had a tour of the Taylor factory (his sponsor) and he said they had a guitar with the top made from pallet wood, you know the four inch wide boards made from various hardwoods. He says it sounded great. Try any wood, you may get lucky.
If you were refering to me with that question. The Spanish Cedar sounds great, looks great, finishes nice, and its easy to work with. I dont think Id use a standard size 1 x 2 due to the strength but I rip all mine out of plank lumber and it allows me to beef up my necks a bit. I also find that making the necks a lil thicker makes it possible to skip string trees.

christian pearson said:
The fascination in building a thing that can express an individual emotionally and musically ,
+++ display craftsmanship , imagination , +++ ...
Everyone will want to do it.
"Sounds Good to beStillroy"

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

AGP # liked Gary O'slide's video
1 minute ago
BrianQ. liked Gary O'slide's video
3 hours ago
BrianQ. liked Poorness Studios's video
3 hours ago
Poorness Studios liked Dogleg Steve's video
5 hours ago
Poorness Studios liked Dogleg Steve's video
5 hours ago
Gary O'slide posted videos
5 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Poorness Studios's video
Thumbnail

David Bowie's Space Oddity (covered on guitar & Stylophone)

"Nice ly done Kale olthow whit verry minimal typecal Space odity effects, i know it was your Bowie…"
6 hours ago
Dogleg Steve posted a status
"Hey - I came runner up top 10 of the 2023 4th annual international CBG video playoffs!"
6 hours ago
Dogleg Steve posted videos
6 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Poorness Studios's video
Thumbnail

"Wow! Well done Kale. Nailed it!!! You really captured the essence of the song and it’s…"
7 hours ago
Dogleg Steve posted a status
7 hours ago
Poorness Studios posted a video

I've been meaning to do a cover of this since I got my David Bowie Stylophone last Christmas. This song is outside my vocal range and difficult to sing, but ...
8 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->