What say you, fellow builders, about pre-made necks? A pre-made neck saved my latest build, but I ordinarily wouldn't rely on them because it feels less creative to not carve my own necks. Anyone else got an opinion?

Views: 2271

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A friend of ine found a guitar neck down by the river, it had a 12" split showing the truss rod, this is how I came to build a CBG, I said "I could make a guitar with that!", and that was it, gorilla glue, clamps, lot of sanding and finishing, etc. I didn't even hide the marks left (that look very strange). So, I think restoring a broken neck, is in a way creating one yourself, do you agree?

Andy,

Yes, I think restoring a broken neck, is in a way creating one yourself, at the very lest that practice is giving it a new life.

I love using old worn and repaired parts, I have found they have a good sprit about them.

When I craft new items I go out of my way to make them look rustic and used.

CHEERS

Bob

Andy Williams said:

A friend of ine found a guitar neck down by the river, it had a 12" split showing the truss rod, this is how I came to build a CBG, I said "I could make a guitar with that!", and that was it, gorilla glue, clamps, lot of sanding and finishing, etc. I didn't even hide the marks left (that look very strange). So, I think restoring a broken neck, is in a way creating one yourself, do you agree?

So what if I copy  Josh Gayou -SmokehouseGuitars kneck... will that be home made.... does it have to be from my home to be home made?  OK OK Stupid and trying to be funny...

Sorry I arrived late in this discussion.

I was busy outside planting trees so that in 50 years time when I cut them down, slice 'em up and make boxes and necks out of them, no-one can say I cheated by buying the wood.....

Hey Roosterman, Great post. I love it ! Down to the nitty-gritty of it all. By the way, I am presently working on producing dirt out of thin air so's I can plant some seeds myself. Then only god, and ME of course, will get the credit. Well, and the guy I get the chain saw from. Oh, and I'll hafta' give some credit to the woman who came up with the idea for round saw blades while using her spinning-wheel. Oh, n' that poor dead horse who's hide glue brought it all together for me. hahaha.

Roosterman said:

I was busy outside planting trees so that in 50 years time when I cut them down, slice 'em up and make boxes and necks out of them, no-one can say I cheated by buying the wood.....

Good plan Roosterman. This is the proper way to do it. Like Henry Ford once said.."chop yer own wood..it'll warm you TWICE!"

Any neck is more satisfying to the builder, when it's home grown. 

Wish I would have started 50 years ago too.. but moved around too much.

Now that I'm in one place for a few years..I only have one problem..

I don't have 50 years anymore to see those maples grow to the size that I need for making my own necks.

I do have a sugar maple in the back yard that's at least 25 years old and would make quite a few nice necks..

but I would miss the summers sitting under it's shady boughs..what to do?  what to do?

Roosterman said:

I have always wanted to enjoy the shade of a tree that I have planted.

carverman said:

Good plan Roosterman. This is the proper way to do it. Like Henry Ford once said.."chop yer own wood..it'll warm you TWICE!"

Any neck is more satisfying to the builder, when it's home grown. 

Wish I would have started 50 years ago too.. but moved around too much.

Now that I'm in one place for a few years..I only have one problem..

I don't have 50 years anymore to see those maples grow to the size that I need for making my own necks.

I do have a sugar maple in the back yard that's at least 25 years old and would make quite a few nice necks..

but I would miss the summers sitting under it's shady boughs..what to do?  what to do?

Roosterman said:

Prof,

Your gradpa was a wise man and great advice.

ProfWaldo/Wally said:

Bob Harrison said:

ProfWaldo,
I like that saying. That’s one of the old Kentucky rifle gunsmith quotes. So I have been told, that’s one reason some old rifles had so many pretty brass inlays. To cover mistakes.

Cheers
Bob
ProfWaldo/Wally said:

The difference between a novice and a master craftsman ?

The novice is busy tryin' not to make mistakes. While the master craftsman is busy, fixin' his.

Bob, When I was about 12 yrs. old I made a major mistake on a project I was working on with my granpa. He said to me, You'll be a good craftsman when you learn to fix your F%#$ups. I thought to myself,"What? I thought good craftsman didn't make mistakes" I didn't figure out till quite some time later what he'd meant by his qoutation. Oh yeah, and not so fast buddy, I put a lot of mental perspiration into my version of what my granpa said n' I ain't givin' the rights away to some hack wood butcher from over a hundred years ago. ha-ha-ha ;o) Having said that, I'm sure there's many variations on this but I haven't heard them. But this one, is mine damn-it. ;o)

ROFL.  Hey, guys, I didn't say my way is the best way.  I'm just expanding on my point of view.  Have some fun and have a good Christmas.  Love ya all.

Josh, Christmas greetings to you too and thanks for all the help you've given us...  the best, Wichita Sam

Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars) said:

ROFL.  Hey, guys, I didn't say my way is the best way.  I'm just expanding on my point of view.  Have some fun and have a good Christmas.  Love ya all.

I'm new here and have just started my first CBG.  Granted I know I could make a neck, given time, but I know for me on this my first guitar, there's something to be said for being able to 'get 'er done.  A quicker build for a beginner keeps the pace and the interest up.  Also there's something to be said for recycling old guitars and breathing new life into them.

I'm not saying you should use a pre-made/recycled/found neck, but you shouldn't poo-poo those who do, for whatever reason.  Elitism in the CBG movement would be all kinds of wrong.....

I am not a builder, but I have in the past had guitars made using old necks and brand new commercial necks. It definitely keeps the cost down. Of course, if you are considering yourself a professional builder, I would assume you should be building the whole instrument from scratch yourself. From a learning perspective, a pre made neck is good for a first time project. I guess this is where, No Rules!!! offers the best answer. LOL Enjoy building. Thanks for all your fine work. I greatly appreciate it. Happy Holidays. Enjoy.      

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->