I am really struggling with making the slots in the nut the right width, right depth, etc. I don't know if I am not using the right tools, or the right technique, or both.

I use a thin backsaw for part of the cut, I also have a coping saw that has a wider blade. I bought a set of needle files, and I have the one that cuts a wedge, but it obviously can't go too deep, or the top of the slot is too wide.

I end up with the strings that are not the same height from the fingerboard, or they buzz or rattle because the slot is too wide, or they don't sit down right because the slot is too thin.

I end up making 2 or three attempts each time just to get one that's right.

What am I doing wrong? There has to be some kind of method that will make them right the first time, every time.

Views: 451

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Big Steve said:
If I intend to use brass bolts for nut and bridge won't the threads serve the purpose of slots?

Big Steve

I was wondering the same thing, but I made one with a bolt for a nut and it seems I have a little buzz on one string, not sure if the bolt is the issue or not.
Iggy said:
Doug Thorsvik said:
Iggy

I tried making nut slots and found it to be frustrating and time consuming, but not anymore! I use a zero fret and a string guide. Instead of filing slots, I drill holes. Using a simple wood fence on my drill press so the holes line up, I use a 1/16" bit on the guitar, I don't remember the bit for the bass. Here are two pictures below that illustrate. It's clearly unconventional, but I have found it works well for me and no strings jump out of the slots anymore!!! Whatever works for you.

Doug

That is an intriguing and interesting solution. I assume you make sure the holes are below the level of the zero fret? Do you notch the zero fret at all, or just let the strings lay on top?
I don't put any notches on the fret so the "nut" essentially functions as a string guide and a capo before the first fret!
I had the idea the other day of making moving capo style slides that are on the necks of some of my DB's and CBG's
I know its been done before but I want to attempt to make up a capo that stays on the neck so I can tune either the DB or CBG to open "E" and then simply slide the capo up the neck to make "G" etc. instead of retuning for a different key.
ANy body done this? and if so can you post a pic of what you did?
There's a device available called the "third hand" capo:

http://www.thirdhandcapo.com/

It has individual rotating rubber sections for each string, so you can clamp any combination of strings. Don't know how it would work for most CBGs; the string spacing is liable to be different.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Nut

Started by Bill Andy in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Bill Andy 22 hours ago. 5 Replies

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

Glenn Kaiser posted a photo

MAY 2024 Take Down Diddley

LOVE the sound, especially w. the smooth part of the bolt! Surprised and blessed! Going into a…
1 hour ago
BrianQ. left a comment for Mark Smith
1 hour ago
BrianQ. left a comment for Mick Tickner
1 hour ago
Mick Tickner posted photos
1 hour ago
Mick Tickner updated their profile
1 hour ago
Keith Rearick liked Doug Thorsvik's video
3 hours ago
Glenn Kaiser liked Rob (Uker) Porras's photo
4 hours ago
Glenn Kaiser liked Rob (Uker) Porras's photo
4 hours ago
Profile IconMark Smith and Mick Tickner joined Cigar Box Nation
5 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik posted a video

On Top of Spaghetti: 3D Printed Cigar Box Guitar

Cigar Box Guitar Slingers - Spokane, 200th Zoom Mtg 04/29/24. Only 1-finger chords, free songbooks here: https://www.cbgslinger.com/download CBG Songbook.pdf...
6 hours ago
Bill Andy posted discussions
22 hours ago
Bill Andy replied to Bill Andy's discussion Nut
22 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->