I have built 5 fretless CBG's and decided to try a fretted one.  I purchased a neck that was fretted.

I have fought with it for 2 days now. I am tuning GDG,  I can get the low G so it's in tune for all the notes.  The other 2 strings are always sharp no matter what I do.  I have used different nuts and bridges to change the action on the strings, but it is always sharp. Since one string seems to be fine, I am thinking there is something I must do in order for all the strings to be in tune the entire neck. Any advice (besides don't buy pre-fretted guitar necks and smash it into firewood) would be appreciated.

Views: 1740

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tim!

What's the status here? What have you tried? What results did you have?

The suggestions thus far tend to focus on:

1. Confirming that the bridge is at two times the distance from the front edge of the nut to the 12th fret. Is that confirmed?

2. The string action at the 12th fret is somewhere equal to the thickness of a nickel or less. Has this been confirmed?

3. The middle string is brought into correct intonation then the high and low G strings are adjusted by angling the bridge around the middle string. Have you tried this yet?

At this point, I think we are shooting in the dark without some new test results.

I was stuck in training this week so I have to get back to this this week.  I have tried lowering the nut and the bridge, and also angling the bridge.  I am pretty sure I need to get the nut even lower. I checked it against my Taylor and it is considerably higher.  I am hoping to figure it out because I would like to build a few with frets.  I have an ammo can and a gas can waiting to have necks installed....

Also keep in mind that light strings on high frets can go out of tune if you push down too hard and stretch the string down behind the fret, and so out of tune. I do not know the quality of the neck but is the nut in the correct place.  Also if a nut slot is too tight and grips the string, after tuning the string can slowly slip through under tension and go flat. But I think you said your strings go sharp, so maybe the there is one offending string, a wound one, that goes flat and makes the others seem like they have gone sharp.

Cheers Taff

Hey Tim, I hope you're having some luck on your build. I've attached a couple of pix that may or may not be helpful.

When I first string up a guitar, I get the open strings in tune (placing the bridge at the scale length with a ruler) and then check tuning at of each string at the 1st-4th frets. You don't want to smash the strings down, just enough to get a clear sound. If the tuning goes sharp, the nut is too high on that string. Mine usually end up just a hair sharp on the first fret, then things smooth out. File and test, file and test. Repeat for each string.

Then I move to the bridge, comparing open tuning to the tuning at the 12th fret. If it goes sharp, the bridge needs to move back or get lowered - maybe both. If it's flat, bridge needs to move closer. Either adjustment will probably be small. As others have suggested, getting the outer 2 strings to work by angling the bridge seems to work for me. Middle string might not be 100% but it's really close and this is a CBG after all :-)

This first pic is my very first CBG. Used nails for frets (never again) and it's pretty janky overall. A while back, I modified the oak nut to accept a zero fret (slightly larger nail). Virtually eliminated my weird intonation issues. Just cut the nut slots deeper than the zero fret and used the nut as a string spacer.

Second pic is the angled bridge on that same janky guitar, just for reference. Plays in tune up and down the neck and pretty well stays that way too over time. 

Can't wait to hear how you came out!

I second this. It shows the intonation angle of a bridge very well. This might not be the problem, only you can find out. But the picture shows how the bridge angle draws backwards slightly for the bass strings. It's all complicated and half because the strings get thicker and tighten and other stuff. If it is the problem, then that angle changes depending on scale length and string thickness.
Hal is correct though. Check this stuff out first. Nice examples hal :)

Hi again, I just got one of my three stringers out and played up around the 10 - 14 frets by fretting notes with my fingers, and the intonation was slightly off but not noticeable when playing a riff.
Now I have a higher than normal action at the nut and the 12 fret as I play with a heavy slide, and rarely finger notes up the neck. So even with is higher action I had intonation I could live with.

So your problem is hard to work out, without seeing it.

Minor intonation problems can also be caused by flat frets with no crown on them.

Any way good luck, remember it is nearly impossible to get perfect intonation on a fretted instrument. We try by having compensated saddles and compensated nuts.

Cheers Taff

I just got logged back into the site, between training this week and being locked out I haven't been able to work on my CBG.  This week I will work through all the advice and see what happens. 

I spent a few more hours with this today. The low G is still the only string that will tune correctly. I have lowered the strings as low as they will go and it is still off on the D and high G. One of the comments mentioned that perhaps it was the strings. I am using 44,18 and 11 gauge for the GDG tuning. I will swap the D and G out to see if that makes a difference. I spent a long time changing the height of the bridge to where it is really low, and even just working with the D it is always sharp until about the 8th fret. The first fret is almost touching the string. I look forward to figuring this out before I lose it and toss it in the fire pit.  If I am measuring correctly its a 25" scale.  1st fret to the middle of the 12th is 12 1/2 inches.   Looking at pictures online, my bridge seems very low to everything I see. I am stumped...

Try bringing the bridge forward on the high g side till it intonates open and at 12, leaving the low g side as it is, see if that improves it, ignore the d for the time being, as it is going to be a bit of a compromise anyway

"and even just working with the D it is always sharp until about the 8th fret." This makes me think that your nut is sitting a little too close to the first fret.
Try putting a capo on the first fret and checking the intonation of the guitar. If you don't have a capo, a little bit of wood and a clamp will do.

Capo the 1st fret, set bridge distance to 2x 1st fret to 13th fret. Check the intonation. If it's decent, do this for the other 2 strings. If they all work out, the problem lies in the nut.

You say it's sharp so if it is the nut, then it's most likely too close to the first fret and needs a little wood shim to pull it back slightly.

Great idea!  I have numerous capos so this will be easy to check.  The nut came pre-cut so it should be in the right spot, but we will see.

I wasn't thinking right. If it is the nut and it's too sharp then the nut is too far away and needs to be closer.. Anyway, capo it and see if it is the nut or not.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

BrianQ. liked Gary O'slide's video
1 hour ago
BrianQ. liked Poorness Studios's video
1 hour ago
Poorness Studios liked Dogleg Steve's video
3 hours ago
Poorness Studios liked Dogleg Steve's video
3 hours ago
Gary O'slide posted videos
3 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Poorness Studios's video
Thumbnail

David Bowie's Space Oddity (covered on guitar & Stylophone)

"Nice ly done Kale olthow whit verry minimal typecal Space odity effects, i know it was your Bowie…"
3 hours ago
Dogleg Steve posted a status
"Hey - I came runner up top 10 of the 2023 4th annual international CBG video playoffs!"
4 hours ago
Dogleg Steve posted videos
4 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Poorness Studios's video
Thumbnail

"Wow! Well done Kale. Nailed it!!! You really captured the essence of the song and it’s…"
5 hours ago
Dogleg Steve posted a status
5 hours ago
Poorness Studios posted a video

I've been meaning to do a cover of this since I got my David Bowie Stylophone last Christmas. This song is outside my vocal range and difficult to sing, but ...
6 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

There i was Standing at the ..... BCB - A. D. Eker 2024

"Thank you Keith for standing at the crossroads whit me for a while ! appriciated !"
7 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->