Man, making your own pickups is labor intensive! I only got this far after breaking open a "wall wart" dc adapter, breaking out the transformer, getting the skinny wire out, snipping an altoid box, winding a thousand wraps of wire... Phew! Just have to wrap some electrical tape around it and solder to an input jack....

Views: 1391

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ok Jonno,we're talking 2 different things at once,the 1st is a trannie,alone as a pick up,where you use the INPUT coil of a step down transformer by itself,without anything added,of course if you want to hide everything inside a box,you can stack magnet[s] on top to get closer to the strings,2nd is the transducer type pup,where the plate/tube etc is the PRIMARY coil,connected to a secondary coil by either, going through a hole in the middle of a 500-700 wind purchased coil like this.......http://www.cigarboxnation.com/forum/topics/lace-alumitone-how-is-it..., or through a walwart type coil like this..http://www.cigarboxnation.com/forum/topics/lace-alumitone-how-is-it..., unfortunately that thread jumps around a bit,and replies are out of sequence sometimes,but you really need to read it,especially around pages 7-10,and 20-25,but really all of it as there was afew people inputting at various times as the site was having stability issues,i know i couldn't add anything for 5 or 6 days at one point

Onya Ron. I been reading the alumitone thread. Lot of pages. Anyway I think I realise my mistake now which Daryll mentions. I just viewed the vid by Turtlhead and I think I get what he does. You take some a thick copper wire. Wrap it around some mags. Remove the bottom coil from a step down trannie (bottom= which coil?) and pass the thick wire thru the space, back out creating large copper loop.Ok. seems clear enough.

So Daryll, does your method that doesnt need magnets, require a non typical transformer setup ie Step Up power adapter ?

So after looking at turtlehead vid I still dont get which trannie coil he removes.The mains side or output to appliance side.

2. Assuming I must track down a Step up transformer for your method Daryll. Do you attach the pickup plate to the transformer as in your number plate post. And if so what do you attach it with? This is doin my head in he he he
Damn what is it with post edits not working.I just changed above post to reflect greater understanding but it vanished. Try again.
Daryll I like your no magnet, Step down transformer method.I still just need how you attach pickup metal plate to transformer core. Maybe another pic of how you have it setup with a few explanatory comments. Apologies if I'm doing your head in.

Hi Way. That schematic is the turtlhead method is it? With step Up transformer?

step up,step down doesn't matter,you are only using one of the coils,the largest is my recomendation,you just ignore the other coil,the main reason turtlhead removed it in his pup,was to get the wire through,as it was too tight,if you can squeeze the wire through and around the coil you are using ,all good,and can just ignore the other coil,but those as 104 transformers are cheap,and they can be at your door tomorrow in Aus.,but seeing as it's nearly 2 pm where you are,more likely Monday,the step down trannie as a pup by itself,is just the wires on the larger coil's side wired direct to jack or pot,that is all,the other coil is ignored

Lol. I'm gettin an image in my head of the American guy in the Falwty Towers epsode tryin to explain to Basil what went in a Waldorf salad.'Walnuts, celery ...' Funny as.

ok Daryll. So I could just sit one side of the tran metal core under strings as a pickup and thats it.Correct? Provided you had a non thru the box neck. But what if you have a thru the box build. What then. Almost there man. I can taste it he he

basically yes,but for a through box,you'll need to maybe attach a batten or similar either side of the existing neck to compensate for the material you remove for the trannie,or if your box is deep enough,put a piece under the neck,also,i can't emphasize enough,make sure your tranny is working as you like before you cut anything,even make a diddly bow out of scrap to test it,as some transformers are better than others,so trial and error time,once you know it works you can always change it out for another if you find a better one,but similar size

Roger
Great stuff Daryll. I gave the transformer only a whirl,wiring up the larger primary coil.I removed the smaller secondary coil. I ran earth to nail as well.I found that the setup was loudest and less hummy with the primary coil in the top position.All in all I was impressed with the volume.The string for the diddley bow is a bass guitar round wound D string.Amp a budget brand bass amp.I might give the thick copper wire + magnets+trannie a go when I can lay my hands on some thick wire. I wonder if aluminium foil rolled up into a wire shape would work. Maybe not enough conductivity.If I get hungry later I can use me tomato soup nut and me corn kernels bridge he he he

hmmm.Making a loop with rolled aluminium foil does get sound. Prob not as good as copper. This place rocks. So many great ideas and teachers to learn from. Luv it

Many ways to skin this cat Jonno,but it seems that more metal in your coil works best,so the foil is probably pretty weak,the good news is,with such a simple set up,it's not hard to find new materials to try,i haven't done much for a few weeks on this,but i'll let you know what i find

G'day Daryll.When you say 'more metal', do you mean the induction coil you pass thru the trannie core. Thick single strand copper seems hard to get. This arvo I tried a Bunnings store (we are talking big time hardware) and an electronics store. No plate copper or thick single strand.I got me self a piece of regular elec wire and I might try one of the three insulated strands.All good. Cheers. Jonno

i was mainly talking about the plate or whatever you make your primary coil out of,it seems the thinner the material,the weaker the signal,the one i made of copper tape,sounded great,but a little weak,also it seems he thicker material through the hole in the tranny the better as well,Buggy had pretty good results with a bolt,if you need a link for the induction trannies,it is in the alumitone thread,i recommend using them if you intend to make one,but,while you experiment with the charger trannies you're using at the moment there's no rush,any pup you do make ,you can change trannies later easily,have fun

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

AGP # commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP 8 Stand Carousels

""Thanx A.D." I tried slowing down the number of builds, but I enjoy it too much! :-)"
1 hour ago
Rob (Uker) Porras posted a photo

Soresto ukulele

My wife actually asked me to build this. Every time the dog gets a new collar she tries to find a…
1 hour ago
3 String Blues posted a video

Delta Blues Freestyle Slide - MXL 990 Microphone Recording

Recorded with a MXL 990 Microphone that I bought used off ebay for 40 bucks. Music - from the webpage https://www.reddogguitars.com There is CBGs for sale...
2 hours ago
BrianQ. left a comment for Clydr
5 hours ago
BrianQ. left a comment for James C Bailey
5 hours ago
BrianQ. left a comment for Airam
5 hours ago
T-Gripped liked Dogleg Steve's video
5 hours ago
T-Gripped liked Gary O'slide's video
5 hours ago
Uncle John commented on Uncle John's photo
Thumbnail

Chugger Review 2nd from left

"Thanks. Ron.  I agree on the Padron boxes.  I think they are close to the best for looks…"
6 hours ago
Bassdude updated their profile
8 hours ago
RON NORTHCUTT commented on Uncle John's photo
Thumbnail

Chugger Review 2nd from left

"Nice looking collection, I just finished 2 with the padron boxes, they are among my faves. I have…"
8 hours ago
RON NORTHCUTT commented on Rich's photo
Thumbnail

Retro Tin tail piece view

"That is a super nice build. Everything about it looks great."
8 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->