ok day one (ok two I did do some cuts last night) I'll size the pics and put them on the bucket or upload them.

1. scarf joints are a %$^&#$*&%^ to clamp

2. cutting the headstock block to length before cutting the scarf makes a really nice oak sanding block

3. scarf joints are a &^%*(%$# to clamp

4. sometimes it is indeed better to be lucky than good. When thicknessing the body block to thicken the neck where it goes through the box, just wing it and stop when it feels good, then slip it into the box slots and viola! perfect fit the lid closes flush with the neck relief. (I will be a bit more careful in the future as that could have been bad)

5. scarf joints.. you get the idea

6. cutting the headstock was a bit more dicey than I thought (you guys make it look so easy!)

All in all it was good and while there will be a few things I'll tighten up in the future the learning curve isn't so steep that the project was in danger of failing..

Views: 1208

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Vid is a good idea. You do it differently than I do and even though I prefer hand tools to routers Yours sounds like a good method.

I like that salt idea.  I'll have to try that next time.

But, currently I use a couple of pieces of leftover oak/poplar scant and some clamps to wedge the two pieces together and make sure they don't move during the gluing process.

Headstock

ok I'm calling it great for a first try... you might disagree and I hope you'll tell me why as I want to learn not be given a participation trophy.  The scarf joint looks pretty good and will sand up nice (i hope) it is starting to look like I wanted it too.  Getting excited, now I just have to wait for the tuners, and electronics.   I also need to order a fretboard on a 25.5 scale but am unsure.  I'd like some suggestions and I don't want to spend a ton of money.  

Thanks for any and all input folks it is appreciated!

Keith

Attachments:

Cost is now up to $68.73 and I believe all I lack is the fretboard would like to keep it under $100 if possible. I'm placing a $60 order to C.B. Gitty for my tuners, electrics, some strings, a slide...  I routed a roundover on the neck and am now in a cloud of oak dust, trying not to get too crazy but it is tough to go slow with the excitement.  I'm shooting for a quality instrument that looks redneck, not a rednecked instrument.. open to any and all advice on the fretboard.. 

thanks

Keith

Yeah I thought about multi-sourcing the pickup and pots, but that would have been a bit of an investment as I was getting packs from china and would have given me a stock for about 10 cbg's I figured I would build just one and see then maybe get the larger packs of supplies.  I am getting a full setup from Gitty for $15

Lowest priced CBG fretboard I've seen is on Ebay. It's walnut, measures 22.5" long, 1.5" wide, 1/4" thick, frets already installed & dressed on a 25.5" scale...$16 plus shipping from Pennsylvania.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/CIGAR-BOX-GUITAR-WALNUT-FRETBOARD-WITH-FRETS...

That should keep you below the $100 threshold, and save you lots of work.

thanks!  just ordered 2 of them.  I'll let you know what they are like.

first major mistake... grrr. when cutting the heel I wound up with the base of the heel inside the box... 

Attachments:

If you were to slice off the curve and make the cut 90 degrees to the neck, you could glue on another piece of like or contrasting wood.

ok, just placed my order with Gitty, nice part is other than the pickups I'll have the stuff for another CBG.  I think I'm gonna leave the mistake as #1 I very well could cause more damage than I can fix by attempting the repair, and #2 every time I look at it, it will remind me to measure twice and cut once!  I also ordered 2 of the walnut fretboards on ebay we'll see what they are like.  that makes the total for TWO cbg's less one set of pickups and whatever I wind up buying for a finish $132 likely wind up $70 each.. not bad

I am in a state of disbelief! I have Started my second cbg while the first is not yet complete! What have you done to me or what have I done to me? Now as I move forward I have to clarify something. I was in the military, I know what is done to noobs... Is the salt in the scarf joint for real or is it like "if you salt a bird's tail it can't move" deal? Cuz I'm about to glue up another and I can just hear you guys chuckling about suckering another noob...

Best to review the video Corbin posted from Youtube...it is a great method, and no salt on the bird's tail...although that works too. Welcome to the obsession.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Nut

Started by Bill Andy in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Bill Andy 18 hours ago. 5 Replies

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

Glenn Kaiser liked Rob (Uker) Porras's photo
3 minutes ago
Glenn Kaiser liked Rob (Uker) Porras's photo
3 minutes ago
Profile IconMark Smith and Mick Tickner joined Cigar Box Nation
1 hour ago
Doug Thorsvik posted a video

On Top of Spaghetti: 3D Printed Cigar Box Guitar

Cigar Box Guitar Slingers - Spokane, 200th Zoom Mtg 04/29/24. Only 1-finger chords, free songbooks here: https://www.cbgslinger.com/download CBG Songbook.pdf...
2 hours ago
Bill Andy posted discussions
18 hours ago
Bill Andy replied to Bill Andy's discussion Nut
18 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

200th Zoom Meeting and feeling “The Weight”: 3D Printed Cigar Box Guitar

"Thanks Kale! I’m still routinely “surprised” at how many songs just work on only…"
18 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked 3 String Blues's video
21 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Gary O'slide's video
21 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked AGP #'s photo
21 hours ago
21 hours ago
21 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->