My last few builds have had the back of the neck rounded off using my router. I am wondering if folks here really think it is necessary, or if I could just sand the edges and round them a bit and call it good.

Thoughts?

Views: 779

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

the last one i did i set my bandsaw table at 45 deg. marked out headstock and body trimmed the "square edge" off then finished roughing with a hand rasp.
I inherited a router, table, and a handful of old bits from my father-in-law, but the damned thing looked too... dangerous, so I tended to stay away from it.
Then I discovered the joy of carbide router bits on my last build. expensive, but they went through that maple like it was maple cream. never going back to shurforms and files (nothing against you folks committed to non-powered hand tools, cause I get that. I'm just lazy and impatient!)
do what's comfortable....I knock the corners down with a router, rough the rest out with a belt sander, then finish sand.

If it's what you want, you can to this do a neck in less than an hour.

Have fun.
It takes some skill and patience, but I've had good results with a wide chisel to take most of the wood off.

I am in the spoke shave camp. It is a really nice tool when it is sharp from there I use rasp's and sandpaper. I don't think you have to round over the neck's this is just a hobby for me so I really enjoy the carving and shaping process. But there certainly are any number of options you could go with.
How often do you find you need to sharpen the blade?

Jim Mitchell said:
I am in the spoke shave camp. It is a really nice tool when it is sharp from there I use rasp's and sandpaper. I don't think you have to round over the neck's this is just a hobby for me so I really enjoy the carving and shaping process. But there certainly are any number of options you could go with.
I've used this cheap belt sander from Harbour Freight for my last few necks:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-inch-x-30-inch-belt-sander-2485.html

I just turn the neck sideways and rock it back and forth, then turn it over and get the other side to match. I flip back an forth a few times, and in a little over 10 minutes I have a nicely rounded neck. I have to wear a mask and eye protection because the sawdust does fly.
Hey Iggy, I know your initial post was a while ago, but I'll add my opinion in here. I find that very little shaping is needed with these skinny necks. I usually like to take the edge off with a plane and then sand it out a bit. I don't know if you remember the cookie tin guitar I played at Bangkok Blues, but that one didn't have one wisp of wood taken off of the back. I think the guys who are insisting on a rounded back have learned to play with too much pressure and tension. The neck really shouldn't sit in the palm at all (I'm guilty of it from time to time too).
I used to use a router just to round off the neck before I did the headstock, but now I use a combination of a 4" belt sander and a spokeshave. I sand my desired neck profile at the heel and nut working onto the drum part of the sander (I take off the flimsy safety guards to get right onto where the belt wraps round the drum), then shape between the two profiled areas with the spokeshave, final shaping on the belt sander, then finish with sandpaper.
When the spokeshave bits into the wood instead of cutting clean. But then again, I have an El Cheapo spokeshave.

-WY

Scotty C. said:
I just started work on my first neck shaped with a spokeshave. How often do you guys find you need to sharpen the blade?
Ooooo, I used to do that. Could never keep the angle/line straight plus I do heels on the neck and can't cut around that.

-WY

Todd said:
the last one i did i set my bandsaw table at 45 deg. marked out headstock and body trimmed the "square edge" off then finished roughing with a hand rasp.
So is a flat spoke shave better or a curved one for this purpose?

Brett

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Nut

Started by Bill Andy in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Bill Andy 21 hours ago. 5 Replies

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

BrianQ. left a comment for Mark Smith
1 minute ago
BrianQ. left a comment for Mick Tickner
2 minutes ago
Mick Tickner posted photos
6 minutes ago
Mick Tickner updated their profile
9 minutes ago
Keith Rearick liked Doug Thorsvik's video
1 hour ago
Glenn Kaiser liked Rob (Uker) Porras's photo
2 hours ago
Glenn Kaiser liked Rob (Uker) Porras's photo
2 hours ago
Profile IconMark Smith and Mick Tickner joined Cigar Box Nation
3 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik posted a video

On Top of Spaghetti: 3D Printed Cigar Box Guitar

Cigar Box Guitar Slingers - Spokane, 200th Zoom Mtg 04/29/24. Only 1-finger chords, free songbooks here: https://www.cbgslinger.com/download CBG Songbook.pdf...
4 hours ago
Bill Andy posted discussions
20 hours ago
Bill Andy replied to Bill Andy's discussion Nut
21 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

200th Zoom Meeting and feeling “The Weight”: 3D Printed Cigar Box Guitar

"Thanks Kale! I’m still routinely “surprised” at how many songs just work on only…"
21 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->