I'm not good with cutting sound holes but was thinking about just cutting the corners of the lid off at 45 degrees and have those as the sound holes... What ya think

Views: 535

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yep corners off the lid was the start of this... Still might look interesting...

I like the idea, its got old world cigar box thinking to it, use the tools you got to make it work. Depending on how you cut or shape the cuts it could look nice too.

Hip Bone Bellaire said:

Yep corners off the lid was the start of this... Still might look interesting...

Hmmm...nested brackets are not the easiest formula to reduce to common denominators for a solution.

This is probaly high school level math and frankly, I haven't had the need to deal with Pi or 2PI since my

electronic math problems back many years ago.

I know you have to solve the innermost brackets first, then the the next set and then you can

solve for the outer set. Pi = 3.14       Area of a circle = PiR2

Trying to work it out on the box dimensions stated above. Converting a CB into a Hemholz

resonator sperical dimensions isn't exactly rocket science, but takes some disipline to solve.

Somewheres in that formula, you have to take the square root to get the radius of the circle..

I think.

Heck, a  CB is just a box with a certain volume.    The volume should determine the  fundamental

resonant frequency without any holes added. Add some holes,  which in essence should decrease

the resonant frequency.

So once we determine the area, divide it in half to work on the sound hole size....

or...just use an appropriate sized grommet and wing it.  

Rand Moore said:

There was a discussion recently on CBN's Super Advanced CBG Building group. They may have a formula. Not sure how valid it is. Could also search Google. I don't really know a formula, but if there is one and it has proved out by multiple CBG makers, then it's worth having. I'll look around a bit...

======

Comment by herb berwald on November 10, 2010 at 5:06am

1. Calculate box volume, LxWxH
2. Solve for the radius of a sphere of the same volume, ((3*V)/4*pi())^1/3
3. Divide the radius by 4
4. This is the new radius of the sound hole.
5. 2*r is the new sound hole diameter...
for this box it is around 5 inches...almost like a regular guitar. I must have done something wrong.

Assuming the box is 8.25" x 5.5" x 2.75", our calculated hole diameter should be:
    (2 * (((3 * 8.25 * 5.5 * 2.75) / (4 * 3.14))^(1 / 3))) / 4 = 1.55023303

======

Does that formula make sense?  I was never good at math.

-Rand.

Okay, Guys... I built one. Here's the photo:

It's a 2 stringer, diatonically fretted using nylon tie-wraps, ukulele tuners and Aquilla Nylgut strings. From a players stance, it does not sound very loud, but if you bend over so your ear is over the soundboard, it's pretty loud. So it seems to project well into the direction of the audience. The box also has a pretty good sustain. I've written more about it on my personal CBN blog and have some more photos of it. Wish I had two identical boxes so I could do a more scientific comparison of this type of sound holes verses no sound hole, vs one or two traditional round sound holes. I also saved the corners of the soundboard with the idea of partially re-closing the sound holes to see if that makes a difference. Before I do that, though, I'll do more experimentation and use steel strings and frets to see how loud it can be.

-Rand.

Wow you work quick.  Thats a lot more corner cutting off than I had envisioned, very bold. Nice job.

Rand Moore said:

It's a 2 stringer, diatonically fretted using nylon tie-wraps, ukulele tuners and Aquilla Nylgut strings. From a players stance, it does not sound very loud, but if you bend over so your ear is over the soundboard, it's pretty loud. So it seems to project well into the direction of the audience. The box also has a pretty good sustain. I've written more about it on my personal CBN blog and have some more photos of it. Wish I had two identical boxes so I could do a more scientific comparison of this type of sound holes verses no sound hole, vs one or two traditional round sound holes. I also saved the corners of the soundboard with the idea of partially re-closing the sound holes to see if that makes a difference. Before I do that, though, I'll do more experimentation and use steel strings and frets to see how loud it can be.

-Rand.

That's interesting. The soundholes really seem huge to me, but if it works...

No that's what I was talking about....

Hi All...

I wasn't sure how big or small to make the sound holes (corners), so I took the extreme of trying to make the soundboard as octagonal and equilateral as possible. I was thinking maybe with less edge connection to the sideboards, maybe the soundboard would be more free to vibrate and have a bigger sound. I was also thinking that if this proved true, then the next step would be to build a box with the lid's side walls removed to a similar amount as this one, but to keep the full square soundboard. The other test I want to do is to build one with a smaller set of sound holes (corners), maybe half as big as this one to see how that affects the sound. But, before doing these test builds, I want to test this box with steel strings and metal frets as I know for sure the nylon tie-wraps used for the frets dampen the sound significantly. I also kept the corners of my soundboard and plan to glue them the the top edge of the bottom of the cigar box as shown in a couple photos (not yet glued in) on my personal CBN blog. The thing I do notice about the design is that it projects a lot of sound forward toward the audience, and has pretty good sustain (better than a couple other CBGs I've built).

-Rand.

Very neat design Rand. You know, this is what I like about CBG Nation..there are no limits

in building them,  unlike conventional guitars where it" has to be done this way"

..or it's not going to sound the same as <whatever>.

The main thing is to experiment and find out how far you can go with what you have to work with.

That's cool but what if you take the leftover corner lid parts ( just the lid wood without the sides) and reglue them to the base making it have side ports on all four sides. It would give it smaller sound holes and retaing the look you have going.

Rand Moore said:

-Rand.

I think the design looks pretty neat, even if the "sound holes" form open corner "reflectors"...almost

approaching a  CB guitar-banjo.  If he was to cut the corners on the bottom part and fill in 

the cuts, he might  be approaching an octogonal version of one.  

Shawn said:

That's cool but what if you take the leftover corner lid parts ( just the lid wood without the sides) and reglue them to the base making it have side ports on all four sides. It would give it smaller sound holes and retaing the look you have going.

Rand Moore said:

-Rand.

Hi All.

I've built a second CBG with corner cut sound holes. It's a 3-stringer with a 20" scale, metal frets and steel strings. For more information about it, you can read about it on my personal account. Just click on this link and scroll down the page. Here's a photo:

-Rand

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Nut

Started by Bill Andy in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Bill Andy 1 hour ago. 5 Replies

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->