Hey all,

Getting ready to buy my 2nd CBG. Looking for an acoustic only instrument, as I have an electric, but it's just not that loud when I fingerpick it without an amp...so I want a nice loud acoustic. Just wondering what I should look for and what I should avoid in purchasing a new CBG? In otherwords, what things should definitely scare me off and what things I should definitely want as far as the "build" is concerned.

Views: 484

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Can't.

Not set up or equipped for that.

While I agree with the others about the idea of building one yourself, it sounds like you want or need to buy your guitar.  For me, I would want to play it before I bought it. Whether a guitar, or bicycle, or golf clubs, or anything else you are into, the right one will feel right and in the case of an instrument, sound right for you.    With all respect to the masters out there, without trying it myself I would be very hesitant to order one site unseen.  Don't know where you are, but maybe there are others nearby if you ask around here or you could take a trip to a nearby festivel.

I'm with ya!

I went to the York PA CBG Festival this past weekend. Honestly, I was disappointed somewhat. There was probably only about 6 CBG vendors there. I was hoping for between 10 -15 vendors...not! Almost everything was electric. I only saw one resonator CBG. The music was so loud there was no way you could hear anything you wanted to try out. Between bands, along with the crowd noise, there was always some announcer talking loudly over the PA, and again, I couldn't hear anything I picked up. After an hour of walking around, I knew I was not going to find anything I wanted, and I left without buying anything at all. I don't think the festival atmosphere is conducive to really listening to what you want to buy (and I'm a fingerpicker, so it's even more difficult to hear myself over the din). About the only plus I see at going to those festivals is meeting others who have a love of CBG's, and listening to other CBG players perform.

Lots of good answers.   My 2 cents is that for acoustic sound, bigger IS usually better.  That's why I have made some big box four strings to play along with friends on factory builts.  On that line, 4 strings are a bit louder than 3. 

Yup on the resonator cones if you like that sound.  I do, but I also think it is not right for certain styles and music.   The not quite a cones: paint can lids, bean can bottoms, dog bowls-  kind of a mixed bag - some pretty good and very cool, but not up there with a real cone.

Play em' first before buying if you can.   Or buy from a trusted builder. And keep in mind that some of the trusted builders make great electrics, but maybe not as good acoustics.

In a some ways, I do NOT like that C.B, Gitty has become a CBG factory.  I think it takes away from part time and fun builder's sales.   BUT, if someone wants a guitar that is well made and going to be just as advertised, buying a Gitty built is a smart buy. 

Two thumbs up Uncle John

Not to disparage any builders here, just saying our esteemed sponsor is a good choice for a pre-built

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
2 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

I Can Only Imagine: 2-String Chugger License Plate Cigar Box Guitar

"Thanks Uncle John! I’m always delighted when other Slingers choose it to play."
2 hours ago
J. D. Woods commented on J. D. Woods's photo
Thumbnail

Current Instrument Line-Up

"Hi Uncle John, Ha, ha!! So glad you asked, I wondered when somebody was gonna notice! I'll try…"
2 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #530 - ''Pink Floyd''

"Colorfull Build  AGP # the last colorfull song they will  ever build ,the feud is going…"
8 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Poorness Studios's video
Thumbnail

Jose Cuervo | Shelly West cover on 4-string CBG

"its good to hear you are part of the "Old Content" did not get any of this ,but you…"
8 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

There i was Standing at the ..... BCB - A. D. Eker 2024

"Good morning UJ ,How are you ? hope you are fine! i did say "CrossRoads",Blues Rock its a…"
8 hours ago
Uncle John commented on J. D. Woods's photo
14 hours ago
Uncle John commented on J. D. Woods's photo
Thumbnail

Current Instrument Line-Up

"Nice line up.  Unusual pick guard on the big git that looks like a Martin.  What is that…"
14 hours ago
Uncle John commented on Ghostbuttons's photo
Thumbnail

Four projects

"Nice, nice trio."
14 hours ago
Uncle John commented on Crazed Fandango's photo
Thumbnail

Frethound 4 String

"Looks great.  That looks like one I could really like playing.  Four strings too. …"
14 hours ago
Uncle John commented on David Hopkins's photo
Thumbnail

Anti-Body Guitars 18,19 and 20

"Great theme, workmanship and guitars!"
14 hours ago
Uncle John commented on David Hopkins's photo
Thumbnail

Angel 2x Anti-Body #17

"Very, very nice.  I hope it got to a good home and that it will be enjoyed.."
14 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->