I keep running across mention of the Pignose 7-100 portable guitar amp. It runs off of six AA batteries or a power adapter cord. It It;s a 5 watt amp with a 5" speaker.

Does anyone have any experience with this amp? What do you think? The price is reasonable, but is it a good amp?

Thanks

Tom T

Views: 1842

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah, the Pignose is a good amp. It's also a great pre-amp, since it can be connected to an external speaker cabinet, or a mixing board for studio recording. Plus, it has that super cool pig nose volume knob. If you can get one for a decent price, jump on it. There's one listed on Ebay right now, current bid is $31 USD...which is much better than the $100-150+ prices they often go for.

Keep in mind that the term "good amp" is relative to the listener's ears and preferences. What sounds good to one person with one type of guitar may and often will sound different to another person with another guitar. Imho, a good idea is to visit a local music shop and try out a few amps with your own guitar in hand, to see what get's you groovin".

Thanks Scott.

I figure a 5" speaker is likely to sound pretty raw which isn't necessarily a bad thing with a CBG.A Piezo should put plenty of power into the amp. Wouldn't take much to over-drive the amp and get into some distortion.

I've seen them down around $75 from Sweetwater and will check out the ebay listing. But your suggestion to try one out makes a lot of sense.

Thanks. I don't plan any shows (for which my friends are grateful), but I do like to amplify a bit when playing. Sounds like it might be just the ticket for what I want to do.

Tom T

Bah. I use a Pignose 7-100 onstage quite often. The last big show I did back in May (vids to come), it was part of the backline! All we did was run it off the wall wart into house power, crack it half open, and shove a mic in it, direct to the house mixer. They can sound huge that way. Frank Zappa frequently used one in the studio this way. The very first one was developed for and with Terry Kath, the lead guitarist for the original Chicago Transit Authority, back in 1972, who later tragically took his own life. I own two of them, one in the States at my Mom's, and the other in my man cave in Saudi. In a couple of my vids on my Profile page, I use one; feel free to check it out. As Scott says, they have a distinctive tone, that may, or may not, be just what you're looking for. They have retailed for right around $100 ever since the '70's. They are also perfect for busking; I saw and heard one being used to great effect a number of years ago in the Paris Metro.

Many blues harpists also swear by them, as they have an old-sounding overdrive quality when cranked all the way up, that fits an overblown bent harp perfectly. There are a number of vids out on YouTube demonstrating that, too.

I also use a Roland Stereo Mobile Cube, similar to the Micro Cube, as my main practice amp, which indeed is a more powerful, versatile amp than the Pignose 7-100, as CBJ sez, due to the onboard effects, and the capability of playing both instrument and vocals through it simultaneously. I used it once in a gym in front of 1000 people about 6 years ago, cranked almost all the way up with no further amplification or drive from the house PA, in support of my daughter at a school talent show; I played my Ovation through it, while she simultaneously sang through a Shure SM 58 mic. She brought the house down. They run around $180. I use mine in a couple of my Profile page vids, too. It can also be used for busking. It features Clean, Crunch and Overdrive, has separate Volume controls for mic and instrument, and also has onboard Chorus, Delay and Reverb.

I can highly recommend both. Do as Scott says, and A/B them at your local git emporium with one of your CBGs.

Great response. I'll check out the vids you suggested.

Thanks for taking the time to give so much information.

T

Depends on what your definition of a good amp is. The Pignose is fine, but it's an old design, and a modern battery powered amp such as the Roland MicroCube will  knock it clean out of the water. The Pignose has the advantage of being smaller and lighter than the Roland, and looks cool, but after that the Roland outscores it on every count. The Pignose has one sound but the MicroCube has 6 different voicings (plus a mic setting), effects, tone control, line out, aux in...and it runs on mains power or 6 x AA batteries.

There are other modern battery amps from people like Vox and Line6, but the MicroCube is so much easier to use and get an acceptable sound out of. I also have a Pignose 20, which I loved...until I got the MicroCube. I really isn't in the same league as the modern stuff, sad to say.

Thanks for taking the time to provide so much infor, John. If it's the same Roland that made my piano, then I'm sure it is a quality piece.

I'll check out the MicroCube.

Pignose 7-100 is a good amp but a one trick pony. It has "clean" sound, and if you turn it up a lot you get "distortion". I like this amp, but it is limited. A much better choice at twice the price is Roland Micro Cube GX. It has lots of various controls and has onboard "modeling". Battery lasts much longer in the GX than in the Pignose. Sweetwater.com currently has the Roland Micro Cube GX for $150.00 delivered. I have a white one and it looks and sounds impressive.

It IS THE BEST AMP for cigar box guitar

Check out some of the videos I have done with one visit radio-guitar-amps.com

TMI?

I always enjoy videos from beetle juice. However, it does bring up a weakness in the pig nose. In order to get that sound you have to employ bathroom reverb. And.........to get some gain you have to turn it way up. Much easier when you have gain and reverb settings on the amp itself settings.

That said, I do like the pig nose. I like it a lot. I just like the Roland Micro Cube GX more. 

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Nut

Started by Bill Andy in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Bill Andy 1 hour ago. 4 Replies

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

Cigar Box Nation's event was featured
Thumbnail

Cigar Box Nation: York PA - A CBG Builder's Meet-Up at York Town Craft Guild

May 11, 2024 from 1pm to 4pm
40 minutes ago
Bill Andy replied to Bill Andy's discussion Nut
"Also, do I need to ground the strings? Is there a way without soldering? Thanks"
1 hour ago
Bill Andy replied to Bill Andy's discussion Nut
"Yes it is a Gitty neck."
1 hour ago
Southern Ray replied to Bill Andy's discussion Nut
" Or, if you have no way of sending a picture, is it perhaps a CB Gitty fretted neck?"
1 hour ago
Southern Ray commented on Cigar Box Nation's event Cigar Box Nation: York PA - A CBG Builder's Meet-Up
" I'd love to attend, but will never be that far north-east. To those that can: Have…"
1 hour ago
BrianQ. replied to Bill Andy's discussion Nut
"It’s customary to include a pic of the neck when you’re asking these kinds of…"
14 hours ago
BrianQ. liked Rob (Uker) Porras's photo
14 hours ago
Bill Andy posted a discussion

Nut

Just got a prefretted walnut neck, it does not have a lip to glue nut against, should i dado to set…See More
18 hours ago
AGP # commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP 8 Stand Carousels

""Thanx A.D." I tried slowing down the number of builds, but I enjoy it too much! :-)"
21 hours ago
Rob (Uker) Porras posted a photo

Soresto ukulele

My wife actually asked me to build this. Every time the dog gets a new collar she tries to find a…
21 hours ago
3 String Blues posted a video

Delta Blues Freestyle Slide - MXL 990 Microphone Recording

Recorded with a MXL 990 Microphone that I bought used off ebay for 40 bucks. Music - from the webpage https://www.reddogguitars.com There is CBGs for sale...
21 hours ago
BrianQ. left a comment for Clydr
yesterday

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->