It turns out Kurt Russell went a little too far in portraying a cagey bounty hunter in Quentin Tarantino’s latest movie "The Hateful Eight."

The actor is responsible for destroying a 145-year-old guitar during shooting.

The guitar, which Jennifer Jason Leigh’s character plays in one scene until it’s snatched by Russell, who then smashes it against a pillar, was a one-of-a-kind Martin from the 1870s that was on loan from the Martin Guitar Museum.

In all fairness, Russell didn't know he was handling an antique in the scene. And according to Dick Boak, the director of the museum, archives, and special projects for C.F. Martin & Co., the production didn't fess up to exactly how the guitar was destroyed.

“We assumed that a scaffolding or something fell on it,” Boak toldReverb. “We understand that things happen, but at the same time we can’t take this lightly. All this about the guitar being smashed being written into the script and that somebody just didn’t tell the actor, this is all new information to us. We didn’t know anything about the script or Kurt Russell not being told that it was a priceless, irreplaceable artifact from the Martin Museum.”

So what went wrong?

The film’s sound mixer, Mark Ulano, filled in SSN Insider

"What was supposed to happen was we were supposed to go up to that point, cut, and trade guitars and smash the double,” according to Ulano, who said six doubles were made of the Martin guitar. “Well, somehow that didn’t get communicated to Kurt, so when you see that happen on the frame, Jennifer’s reaction is genuine.”

Here’s the destruction of the Martin in the movie (check out Leigh’s reaction at the end):

Boak told Reverb that the museum has been remunerated for the insurance value of the guitar.

But that wasn't enough to heal the matter.

"As a result of the incident, the company will no longer loan guitars to movies under any circumstances,” Boak told SSN.

Business Insider contacted Boak to try to get an idea of the value of the destroyed guitar. He said he wouldn't provide more comments about the matter, only stating, “It’s not replaceable.”

;-(

Views: 589

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oops

Exactly, they have 5 duplicates made, would anyone have known the difference if one of those was seen/played/smashed?

I wonder what happened to the bits? Pass them here please! I can still use them.;)

(Kurt)  ... " ummm.. sorry  ,,  no  bits     left  .    i  tossed    em  in the fireplace     .. honest  ....  and    there  must  have  been   7  replicas  me thinks  ...  "  ;-}

It's amazing the lengths that Fender fans will go to convince the world that the Stratocaster was a good design.

A Fender Stratocaster wouldn't have splintered to kindling like the Martin did...(hypothetical, of course, since the Stratocaster hadn't been born yet).

But like them or hate them, it's hard to argue that some of the best guitar players and their music would not have sounded the same on a different guitar than a Strat.

;-) i  cant argue with    that  ..;-)

(click to enlarge)

It needs to go back into the museum, now it's famous and has history on top of being priceless and valueless.

right  beside  jimmies  fender  lol. 

You have to think about the environment these actors work in. Their clothing is fake. I personally know someone who makes clothing for these kind of movies. Most of the sets are fake. Your surrounded by plastic representations of the real thing all day. So why would the guitar be real? I don't think anyone watching this movie would be old enough to remember what that guitar sounded like when it was new. So why use the real thing? Just dumb. 

i  have to agree ,  even  set  back  then  ,  the  guitar  would   not  be as aged as  the real  one  was  ,  which  would  hurt the authenticity  look  i would think. so  why  ? unless  it was used as a model  for the props and then  mistakenly  used . ? 

and  i  hardly  think  Kurt  is to  blame  .(or even "responsible" as  the copy and  pasted   post from     well  Reverb above words  it  )  .  i think  it was   more  a chain of events   and / or lack  there  of ,and lack of  communication  that caused  it  .

sad  none  the less.

After watching it, look in upper left of the vid box, and you will be able to see a clip of the lady playing it.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

A.D.EKER commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #530 - ''Pink Floyd''

"Colorfull Build  AGP # the last colorfull song they will  ever build ,the feud is going…"
2 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Poorness Studios's video
Thumbnail

Jose Cuervo | Shelly West cover on 4-string CBG

"its good to hear you are part of the "Old Content" did not get any of this ,but you…"
2 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

There i was Standing at the ..... BCB - A. D. Eker 2024

"Good morning UJ ,How are you ? hope you are fine! i did say "CrossRoads",Blues Rock its a…"
2 hours ago
Uncle John commented on J. D. Woods's photo
8 hours ago
Uncle John commented on J. D. Woods's photo
Thumbnail

Current Instrument Line-Up

"Nice line up.  Unusual pick guard on the big git that looks like a Martin.  What is that…"
8 hours ago
Uncle John commented on Ghostbuttons's photo
Thumbnail

Four projects

"Nice, nice trio."
8 hours ago
Uncle John commented on Crazed Fandango's photo
Thumbnail

Frethound 4 String

"Looks great.  That looks like one I could really like playing.  Four strings too. …"
8 hours ago
Uncle John commented on David Hopkins's photo
Thumbnail

Anti-Body Guitars 18,19 and 20

"Great theme, workmanship and guitars!"
8 hours ago
Uncle John commented on David Hopkins's photo
Thumbnail

Angel 2x Anti-Body #17

"Very, very nice.  I hope it got to a good home and that it will be enjoyed.."
8 hours ago
Uncle John commented on Darryl Tuttle's photo
Thumbnail

Old portable heater

"Yup.  Good eye deer.  Maybe find a use for that fan too.  If not on this amp,…"
8 hours ago
Uncle John commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
8 hours ago
Uncle John commented on Dar Stellabotta's video
Thumbnail

Cigar Box Guitar 106 now for sale 🙌

"Looks and sounds good. Built under the solar eclipse!"
8 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->