heres a video on how to make a flat pick up!

https://youtu.be/g_RUuKsUt-k

Views: 1507

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

On the one hand we have the desire as a group to dig in and find out how it works, share the knowledge, as evidenced by the EXTENSIVE thread on the induction pickup.

On the other hand we have a feeling of family and protectiveness toward each other, and that covers the folks that achieve making some decent coin at selling their wares, wanting to protect their profitability. 

We all tend to browse our esteemed sponsor's online shop for parts first before looking elsewhere if needs. 

Its a bit of a trick to find the comfortable path between the two, sharing as much as we can but still supporting those who sell i.e. we chat a lot about how to build for ourselves what gitty sells already built.

That's the main points in a nutshell JL; good post.   Gitty told me in PM this isn't a business forum.  It's for the promotion of all things CBG (and a bit beyond, to be factual).  So if Gitty isn't worried about competition here, I really don't think the rest of us should be either.

Every time any one of us merchants shares one of our experiences in building a CBG, we're encouraging someone to build for themselves rather than buy from us.  Every time we talk about a new design method or finish or fretting method, we're doing so under the realization someone else may decide to start selling CBGs and may even give us some competition. 

I'm not the only CBG seller on Etsy.  I'm not the only pickup seller on Etsy.  I don't view the others as competitors; I view them as co-hobbyists having similar interests to mine.  I study their designs and see if I can learn anything from them, just as I do here.  When we find something that works for us, we tend to share it here.  All someone has to do is check my profile to see a whole index of "how to"... me sharing my "secrets" with others.  We have to if we want to learn from others as well.  It's a give-and-take thing.  The more we give, the more we get in return.

No need to feel protective, secretive, or paranoid that someone is going to steal our ideas.  Like Ted wrote earlier, nothing can be done about that.  We can pretty much be guaranteed that if the CBG business really booms, the Chinese will soon be in here selling cheaply-made CBGs for $50.  They'll be mass-producing flat pickups (probably even good ones) for $10 and making 50 cents profit per unit.  They have the factories and manufacturing to pull that off.  Not a thing we can do about that. 

Reality is:  even though the Chinese sell decent and even good "Telecaster" pickups for ten bucks... people still buy official Telecaster pickups from Fender for $75 each.  Even though the Chinese sell pots for a buck apiece, Gibson still sells pots for $11 and Fender sells them for $5 or so.  And even though the Chinese sell Telecaster clones for $200 or less, Fender still sells thousands of them for $600 a pop.

Elmar sells so many pickups he can't keep up and had to pass the wand on to Dan.  I doubt my joining the field in 2015 has put a dent in their sales.  I think that's how it will continue for as long as any of us want to make pickups. 

People can reverse-engineer computer code and even chemical composition.  The smart businessman keeps on truckin'. There will always be the customer who purchases Fender Stratocaster or Gibson Les Paul for the name, prestige and assurance of quality.  There will always be people who will choose hand-made, custom flat pickups over Chinese versions simply because of the hand-made tag and personal support. When a customer buys from me he knows he can ask me questions about installation, special wiring methods, sound effects, or just about anything else CBG related.  They can't get that from a Chinese factory.

Etsy is a business founded entirely on hand-made items.  The market is vast and by no means saturated.  What we do works.  CBN member should be proud of the sharing nature of the community and if anything, crank it up a notch.  It benefits everyone.

JL,

I couldn't agree more, and you pretty well nailed it on the head. Before I continue, it's important for me to express a sincere apology to anyone who may have been irked at my response to the video, in that it has caused some very awful bantering, both offensive and defensive.

Being a member of Nation has been educational and life changing for me. It has given me a hobby that sometimes results in monetary return for the hard work put into a project.

But this is not why this place is important to me. I have created friendships with some very nice people who share similar views and passions.

Taking part in this site has also afforded the opportunity to learn when I was new, and to share and help when others are looking for answers once I had enough experience to warrant a reply.

So in closing, perhaps we can all agree that this issue is over and it's time to move on to sharing and caring.

Mmmmm-kay?

Thumbs-up!

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation?How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Cutting fret boards

Started by Billy Jerrells in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by john mackay 5 hours ago. 5 Replies

Hub Cap cut out

Started by Mike "Honeyboy" Edwards in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Mike "Honeyboy" Edwards 13 hours ago. 8 Replies

News - Save the New Orleans Cigar Box Guitar Fest

Started by Shane (www.ShaneSpeal.com) in Cigar Box Nation News. Last reply by John Sawyer 23 hours ago. 5 Replies

Cigar Box Nation News - Jan 17, 2017

Started by Shane (www.ShaneSpeal.com) in Cigar Box Nation News. Last reply by JL yesterday. 1 Reply

SURVEY: What do I build with these antique tobacco tins?

Started by Shane (www.ShaneSpeal.com) in Feature Articles. Last reply by Gordon Cooper yesterday. 18 Replies

ICE!

Started by Cause the Blue rat in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Cause the Blue rat yesterday. 5 Replies

The Mysterious "Ukulele Echo Device" From the 1920's

Started by Shane (www.ShaneSpeal.com) in Feature Articles. Last reply by Gordon Cooper on Monday. 25 Replies

Travel case?

Started by Ken Vickerson in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Ron "Oily" Sprague on Monday. 23 Replies

My facebook page is no more......

Started by Cause the Blue rat in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Cause the Blue rat on Sunday. 10 Replies

Latest Activity

Dustin Aurand replied to Uncle John's discussion What is your favorite slide and slide material? ( and more)
"Randy, I'm gonna get one of your slides eventually."
8 minutes ago
Don McMahan replied to Andy Busch's discussion 5-string banjo neck for a cookie tin banjo build in the group Building a Cigar Box Guitar 101
10 minutes ago
Dustin Aurand replied to Uncle John's discussion What is your favorite slide and slide material? ( and more)
"Thanks. The brass one is my favorite. Thinking of doing a review of it."
11 minutes ago
Randy S. Bretz replied to Uncle John's discussion What is your favorite slide and slide material? ( and more)
" "
31 minutes ago
Jason G replied to Jason G's discussion Resonator Bridge Mass
"Thanks both for the thoughts.  I'll see if I can snap a pic when I get home so you can…"
52 minutes ago
Jason G replied to Jason G's discussion Resonator Bridge Mass
55 minutes ago
Paul Craig replied to Paul Craig's discussion Dual IM386 Chip amp in the group Home Made Guitar Amps
"I revised the schematic and posted it at the top of the page. Changes are N3 chips instead of the…"
1 hour ago
Gary W aka Rev. Bluejeans commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

What Type of Timber ??

"Brilliant decision on your part to use beechwood, AGP!   Well done!  ;-)"
1 hour ago
AGP # commented on Ken Vickerson's photo
Thumbnail

""Nice Looker""
1 hour ago
Paul Craig replied to Robert Varcoe's discussion Another electronic question
"A stereo jack would leave both legs live where the mono with shunt would disconnect one side when a…"
1 hour ago
AGP # commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

The Australian Blues Music Festival

"Yep! wes carl, I did Say Pubs, aka; Hotels/Inns/Taverns/Cantinas/Bars/Saloons…"
1 hour ago
AGP # commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

Oakybeechymaply Timber ???

"I agree David Bowes, I knew a few Freckled Patterned Beeches in my younger days :-)  "
1 hour ago

Music

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service