i have seen shovel guitars. and heard of gas can instruments. what else is there out there lets hear it. i want to see what you guys got and how they work think it would be a great topic.

Views: 600

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tracy, I just have to add one thing for your building practice, I'm sure you have plucked the strings on your creations right? Well there you go, your a player, maybe not the best (neither am I) but your making noise and can tell if your cbg works. Keep on creating neat and inventive CBG's, I know I'm a fan.

Tracy Kennedy said:
Well folks, this turned out to be a petty discussion on my part. For that I apologise. Some of us will have to agree to disagree. I just have to keep reminding myself that opinions are like @ssholes, everyone has one. And some of us cant help fom having diarreah of the mouth from time to time. On that note Im gonna keep on building and the naysayers can....well, you know what you can do. For some Happy Building! To me Happy Building!
How and why I let this get to me is beyond me. I took it personally and I shouldnt have. Im really sorry to anyone I have offended. For everyone who supposrt us non players...THANK YOU! For all you who play our instruments...THANK YOU!

MichaelS said:
Tracy, I just have to add one thing for your building practice, I'm sure you have plucked the strings on your creations right? Well there you go, your a player, maybe not the best (neither am I) but your making noise and can tell if your cbg works. Keep on creating neat and inventive CBG's, I know I'm a fan.

Tracy Kennedy said:
Well folks, this turned out to be a petty discussion on my part. For that I apologise. Some of us will have to agree to disagree. I just have to keep reminding myself that opinions are like @ssholes, everyone has one. And some of us cant help fom having diarreah of the mouth from time to time. On that note Im gonna keep on building and the naysayers can....well, you know what you can do. For some Happy Building! To me Happy Building!
Couldn't play a note to save my life when I started this CBG thing. Well now I can play a note, very poorly mind you, but I love it. I have a few and place them around the house and such, CBG's not notes. Whenever their is a min or two of down time I plunk away. Get in a few min practice without taking time out of the day really. Still can't really play but at least I can now recognize things when I hear others play. Got the Keni Lee CD and at the rate I am going it should last me a 100 years.
So I would say I am in the camp that the builder should be able to give the new toy an little test spin to see how he did.
Sorry I think I got side tracked on the original intent of the thread, might be good topic for another thread.

Cheers Ron.
Tracy, if you want to see some cool artistic builds go to the late Ron Bross' page here on the CBG. I was really inspired by his builds, all very unique. I don't know if he played, but I know I don't play. I get them reasonably tuned and when my son comes to visit (about once a year) he gets them sounding great. I love instruments of all kinds, but I have never hat the talent, ear or patience to learn to play. I either give mine away or they hang on the wall as decorative conversation pieces. Some good, some not so good.
ok well i am working untill 7 or 8 at night so if i dont reply for a min or two sorry but i am looking i am trying to get in to my house.
Were does this information come from that few people are refining their skills on playing. I`d like to see the study report.

Keni Lee Burgess said:
Yes, I agree with you. Like Shane always states, There are no rules. This keeps the the door open for some free wheeling experiments. Sometimes great discoveries come out of accidents or thinking outside of the box. Using less than common building materials it very interesting. My point is, that many members here are building many instruments, but few are investing the time to refine their playing skills using their unique inventions. I think this is what I am really trying to say.
Originally, during the depression, CBGs where built out of necessity. A person had a desire to play guitar but could not afford one. The objective was to make a functional substitute, but of course if you look at real vintage CBGs, sometime they succeeded, other times it was quite crude.
I guess because I am basically a player and not a builder, I am always looking for more creative playing out of these unique builds.
Thanks for talking. Enjoy, Keni Lee
In that case shouldn`t every player be a builder. I mean to get that exact sound one is looking for will only come from building your own and learning the differnt tones that they make. I`m just encouraging all players out there to explore building.

Keni Lee Burgess said:
I disagree. A guitar builder should be a player too. If you don't play, how do you know how a guitar should perform optimally? Form follows function. Please understand in no way do I want to be negative. If you enjoy building, continue to enjoy and certainly you will learn more from the feedback from the players of your instruments. I just want to encourage you and all the builders out there to explore playing. We need to see more videos with a musical demonstration included. Shane is a builder and an excellent player. He sets a fine example for the Nation. To be honest, I am a player, not a builder, so I rely on craftsmen like yourself. You are also correct, there is a place for everyone here. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Enjoy, Keni Lee

Tracy Kennedy said:
Well I suppose it doesnt much matter what I build since I cant play what I build. The entire notion of being able to play what you build I feel is a moot point. I build to build, I enjoy building CBG's. I find it an artistic expression on my behalf. I really dont think EVERY luthier out there today is able to play the instruments they build or any instrument for that matter. The fact is there are builders and players and some who can do both. Are you going to tell a carpenter he cant build house since he cant live in it? No he is building a house for someone else to live in and enjoy. Since Shane says "There are no Rules" I can only assume there isnt a rule that requires every builder to be able to play what they build. Besides as I see it, since I cant play they get to go to fine players who can enjoy them, play them, and appreciate them. Instead of piling up under my work bench.
ok will lets move on to somthing else for a topic. lets say its woods. what in your opion is a godd wood or material out there to use to give a good sound
Ive actually heard a couple folks here mention that pine is a good tone wood that is commonly over looked

christian pearson said:
ok will lets move on to somthing else for a topic. lets say its woods. what in your opion is a godd wood or material out there to use to give a good sound
PAPA Chuck Crawford has a pinecaster. He's the guy that turned me onto the idea of pine bodies. Says its the most amazing guitar he's ever played.

Tracy Kennedy said:
Ive actually heard a couple folks here mention that pine is a good tone wood that is commonly over looked

christian pearson said:
I love you guys! First, let me clearly state, my opinion was not meant to be insulting to anyone. If I offended anyone I apologize.
I just want to encourage everyone to dig in deeper into their playing. It is great to see these creative builds come to life. I personally, find it very impressive to see a good player using a good sounding instrument that they built. Something I can't do.
Yes, I have built too. I learned a lot. I just don't have the time.
I have been playing guitar since I was 18. Over the years, I have owned many instruments. Through my experiences, I have learned a lot about how guitars are built. I also learned from my long time friend and professional builder, James Millinchuk. He has built guitars for performers like Sting and Springsteen. He built my two large 6 string CBGs, my 3 string CBG, and an acoustic parlor 6 string.
Thank you for your work. I for one have benefited from the creativity that is going on here. Forge on my friends. Enjoy.
yes i used pine on a cbg once and it did sound good. i have even used .25 pine paneling and it gave it a deep tone. but very good. i woundered if oak or dogwood would be nice. have the chance to use 50 yr old cider still in log form. so have to cut it to plankes but beautiful deep red 3 foot wide heart in center of log.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->