What I really like about this site is the generous amount of information people share and with like mines..... when I showed my latest mockups to friends it was yea okay.....

Views: 1904

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Where do you have this information from?

Moritz, CBG's showed up in the 1840's to the 1860's. All were hand built by poor musicians up until the last 20 years or so. I would think to say that is proof enough to back up what I said about classical luthier's frowning upon or totally ignoring CBG's.
So my info comes from History.

More beef please, Wayfinder [and all the other incarnations of your split personality], and less advertising, self-promotion, and moderation on a site which is not your own...

More Beef? I'm sorry that the fact that no luthiers built any Cigar Box instruments for 150 years of their known existence is enough for you.

I'm not knocking any luthiers or their practices,I'm not knocking any instruments.
Some rules exist and ignoring them is folly.

Exactly all of what you said Way. You have to be a little bit of it all and maybe a little bit crazy..

Hi guys, just read this thread so far and there's a couple of comments I would add. Firstly when I first saw a cigar box guitar photo I thought that's a good idea, I'll build one. I did not look for any building info but just started to build. How could i do this? Well, for many many years prior to this I had built, repaired and modified countless stringed instruments, I had a firm understanding of what works and why, and what does not work and why, a set of rules if you like.

Over time I would think we all create rules or guidlines or procedures for ourselves, I see it as a way of trying to be consistent in my work, a way of being able to reproduce a certain feature or quality and knowing how to do it, but equally important knowing how not to repeat it if it is unsatisfactory.

I build cbg's mainly as a release from the demands of building serious acoustic guitars ect. But I have developed a new series of rules, guidelines or procedures for use in CBG building, ones that works for this style of instrument. Although we can see that not two cbg's are the same (unless part of a production run) they all I would think have basic rules that must apply. The outcome being sought, the quality of sound and finish envisaged would make the rules very different for different builders.

My rules, which I devised from building diffent dimensioned cbg's to find what works best, centre around box size/depth, soundhole size, grain orientation, scale length and bridge location on the soundboard. There's more but you get the idea.

These are my rules, or guidelines but they are not set in concrete, changing one may mean changing others.

Hey, we are only building instruments in their most basic form, so what the heck.

But I still like the flexibility, creativity and the challenge whilst working within "some" of the rules.
Oh by the way the CBG I'm building at the moment is being built along acoustic guitar guidelines. But as already mentioned it's still gonna be limited by its boxy shape.
Done at last.
Cheers Taff.
The rules can be bent
The willow bends to the wind
Bend wound strings, make blues

;-E
You did also get that a strict haiku is 5-7-5 syllabl-wise...which is therefore...a Rule. It's the creativity expressed within the strait jacket of the Rule that makes it beautiful.

;-E

Let's look back at the artwork on the three JPGs which gave grounds to our discussion...

Well, they break a couple of the [loose] rules i work by, but the final aim is not in sight for me yet, and without that, hard to judge, but, the creator works to his own vision, and it may well work out very well

I've been pretty busy not having to work so I got to play a bit... here is a pick of advancement of the 2nd jpg which i titled the ugly stick.... lol

Attachments:

Venus and  Mars

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

BrianQ. liked Gary O'slide's video
1 hour ago
BrianQ. liked Poorness Studios's video
1 hour ago
Poorness Studios liked Dogleg Steve's video
3 hours ago
Poorness Studios liked Dogleg Steve's video
3 hours ago
Gary O'slide posted videos
4 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Poorness Studios's video
Thumbnail

David Bowie's Space Oddity (covered on guitar & Stylophone)

"Nice ly done Kale olthow whit verry minimal typecal Space odity effects, i know it was your Bowie…"
4 hours ago
Dogleg Steve posted a status
"Hey - I came runner up top 10 of the 2023 4th annual international CBG video playoffs!"
4 hours ago
Dogleg Steve posted videos
4 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Poorness Studios's video
Thumbnail

"Wow! Well done Kale. Nailed it!!! You really captured the essence of the song and it’s…"
5 hours ago
Dogleg Steve posted a status
5 hours ago
Poorness Studios posted a video

I've been meaning to do a cover of this since I got my David Bowie Stylophone last Christmas. This song is outside my vocal range and difficult to sing, but ...
6 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

There i was Standing at the ..... BCB - A. D. Eker 2024

"Thank you Keith for standing at the crossroads whit me for a while ! appriciated !"
7 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->