My thoughts and opinions as I drink my second PBR with spicy hot V8 juice.   PBR and spicy hot V8 juice.  Cheap and good.  Like CBGs. 

I see a decline in the numbers of videos and photos posted on CBN.   Is interest decreasing?  

I have a shit-load of opinions on this, but right now, I want to hear what you think.  What is the state of the CBG world and where is it going?

John

Views: 7794

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think you hit the proverbial nail on the head there and I think that is sort of what all who commented here have been trying to say. It is primitive, It is raw, It is simple but dammit it sounds effing brilliant. 

I 'm with Shane and Cuz on this one: Play em. hard. often. record em. write. express yersef. Learn capitalization.

Yup.  I need to do more of what Lenny said.  I was out last night with a six string.  I am now a bit ashamed.

You guys have assured me in some ways and opened my eyes in other ways.   I think I will keep doing what I do on the nation for two reasons:

1.  trying to encourage new players, new builders new ideas and good work..

2. To support and be supported by the video performers and viewers. 

If it makes a difference you have inspired me to be more creative and enjoy the hell out of all things CBG. 

Well Unc, I don't think I've told you this before but yours were among the first videos I watched on this site and you were one of the first, maybe the first even, to give supportive comments to my early vids. Yes that kind of support is very important and I've tried to do that for other new folks coming to CBN. So keep doing what you do! A kind word or even well meant critiques can go a long way and help in ways that we sometimes don't ever realize. Making music in the real world is very important,as Lenny points out, but sharing things with like minded people here is a great, mind expanding kind of thing to do.

I’m fairly new to this exciting world of 3 and 4 string instruments and have been building CBG’s for a few months now with 7 fun guitars on my build resume so far.  I have lots of ideas for more builds and look forward to learning more and improving my skills thanks to you all here at the Nation.

Most of my friends have never heard of CBG’s or know anything about this form of music or the great raw sound that can be produced from these instruments.  When I play one of my guitars or show photos of my builds they are usually amazed at the concept and love that this instrument was built from recycled and repurposed materials.  Most are impressed by the quality of sound that is produced, ask lots of questions and get kind of jazzed about the music.  A couple of friends have even started playing CBG’s within the last few months.  So…for me, in my small corner of the world, CBG’s are in their infancy and awareness is slowly growing but seems to have an infectious influence on people. 

Folks who have never played an instrument before but have the desire to can’t help but get excited about the easy accessibility of these cool instruments.  I propose a PBR toast to the CBG’s that we love to build and play, the music we create with them, and the friends we gather along the way.  Cheers!

Well said.

i love this site i quit doing videos 2 years ago. just ran its course. never had an intrest in building. but i love to see everyone creations. my decline can be directly tyed to my band Ice Bob and the Cubes which i front on cbg and vocals. im gonna bet theres a bunch of us who are to busy playing to have time for this site. i also have friended many of you on FB. it seems like this site is more a builders form then a giging musican site so i check in on this once  week best to everybody keep on doing what your doing   Ice Bob

Attachments:

Glad you are doin music and having fun, Bob.  Come back and do us a vid if you get the urge.  I learned a couple of good songs from your vids.  

I'm still here John. Can't be on as much as I would like. Retirement isn't as great as I thought it would be. I had more time before. Now I have to catch up on things. I hate to say it but I'm still working on my first build. Every time I think I can finish it, I get tangled up in another project. I have guitars, amps and banjos torn down all over my work room. I feel ashamed that I had to buy a 3 string just so I can play. ( and I'm not very good at it because of lack of practice).

Busy is mostly good, Joe and you are doing music too.

So I had to try the PBR and V8 thing.  Just as I was into the chorus of Titties and Tires, you can see me nod and smile to the lovely jogger running by.  Busted.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->