This very attractive cigar box has just arrived in the post following an ebay purchase, but alas I had misread it's dimensions and it's a bit too small for the CBG I had in mind.

So what should I do with it?  Mini-amp? Stompbox? Storing tobacco products? Fire away with your suggestions please!

Views: 699

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can't offer an opinion without seeing it in person - I would suggest forwarding it to me (I'll send you my address). That way I can make a more informed analysis.  Also, I would do this quickly, before you get a whole bunch of silly suggestions that say things other than sending to me!!!   :-) 

8" x 5" x 3/4"...you can build a git out of that. Carefully. I'd put an Elmar Flatpup on it, and go straight to electric, as it is liable to be a bit banjoey in acoustic mode, with not much air volume inside. You can do a neck-thru. Your neck is only gonna be maybe 5/8" - 11/16" thick inside the box, and maybe 1" thick outside, so a 3-stringer would be the max I'd go. Use oak if you can get it. Maybe go fretless?

It's actually 7" by 4 1/2" by 1" - smaller still!

Don't listen to that first feller...he's just jawin' at ya...you should send that box to me.

Ron's right, electric is the way to go on this one.

Think about a shorter scale so it looks in better proportion. Maybe 20 to 22 inch scale. I'd try around 22 inch and fretted.

you should send that to me !

I must admit that's not quite the advice I was expecting!  I have since ordered another cigar box for my next (four string) build.  

I still think there's something else this might be better suited to - a uke or a fiddle, perhaps? I just can't imagine, if I did manage to build a guitar from it, that it would be very nice to play with such a small body.

I'm getting nervous - you haven't asked for my address!!!???!!!!! Don't tell me you are going to entertain some of these other ideas????  :-)

In all seriousness - I think you could make it into a fine git - after all - size doesn't matter!!!

Make something loud :-)  This was made from a little Bolivar box and worked really well.  It's filled with solid oak as far as possible.

With a pickup, piezo or otherwise, you might have both fairly quiet practice instrument and an overdriven monster in one! Pretty box. Get a mack truck hood ornament of course!

I've made a Dulcimer or two out of boxes that small, Ukuleles as well. If it's a quality box you might be slightly louder than you think-if not, a Pickup and an Amp will make it as loud as you can stand.

BTW-if you can find some metal plate with a nice tone, say a cookie tin lid smaller than the width (about 5 inches right?) you might make a nice circular cut and drop yonder lid in for a Mini-resonator. The loudest Acoustic i've got right now isn't much larger than yours-a 8.5"x 5" x 1.25" Padron-but after slipping a 6" x 4.5" x1" Snickers candy tin through the bottom the little critter barks to shame some of my bigger boxes! Admittedly, reinforcing the neck to take Resonator strings may have helped a bit too...

Just for the record, the smallest box I have used so far has been a 6" x 4.5" by 0.75"  for a child's acoustic guitar, with thin Dulcimer strings-and it was still loud enough to make his Dad regret the commission!

Do you want to really blow someone's mind though? Find a bigger box for the guitar, remove the lid from your smaller box, cut a hole in the back of your bigger box for the smaller to fit through and make a 'hunchback', with the extra box in the back adding the space you need for more volume. Failing that, find another small box with matching height, rip the lids off of both, lay side by side (or end to end), glue them together at the sides, then cut a few channels at the join so sound can pass from box to box...rip a new lid from some craft Birch, Mahogany door skin or Cedar plywood and build a BIG guitar out of it...

Mind you, an Amp, Stompbox, felt-lined Jewelry Box or just a 'spare tuners and screws' bin works too...

Build it. I've built several out of small boxes and been pleasantly surprised at how they sounded. It's too pretty a box not to give it a try.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Nut

Started by Bill Andy in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Taffy Evans 13 hours ago. 6 Replies

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

Uncle John commented on A.D.EKER's photo
Thumbnail

Decoration on the Spider & Frog

"Interesting on how you strung it up.  Have a good week, Andries."
7 minutes ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

On Top of Spaghetti: 3D Printed Cigar Box Guitar

"I did not know that Kale! It’s a new song to me. I guess I don’t get around. It is very…"
10 hours ago
Taffy Evans replied to Bill Andy's discussion Nut
"Hi Bill, I see your problem, a neck with no fingerboard, yuck. Anyway, you will have to cut a…"
13 hours ago
AGP # liked A.D.EKER's photo
15 hours ago
AGP # liked A.D.EKER's photo
15 hours ago
AGP # liked Poorness Studios's video
15 hours ago
AGP # commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #533 - ''Beware of Wife''

""Thanks 'UJ' & Doug, Needless To Say!, "She Is Not Amused" ;-D"
15 hours ago
BrianQ. replied to Bill Andy's discussion Copper Hardware
"There’s a company named Guyker that makes antique bronze tuners, they look like an old penny,…"
16 hours ago
Gary O'slide posted a video
16 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's photo
Thumbnail

"Thanks Doug Glad you Do !"
16 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's photo
Thumbnail

"Thanks UJ !  GG (high) D, G .  only i reversed the stings On top is not the G (low) but…"
16 hours ago
BrianQ. liked Poorness Studios's video
18 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->