What say you, fellow builders, about pre-made necks? A pre-made neck saved my latest build, but I ordinarily wouldn't rely on them because it feels less creative to not carve my own necks. Anyone else got an opinion?

Views: 2271

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Did you forget your meds this morning? "No Rules" doesn't mean Don't have an opinion.

Nobody should give a rodent's posterior if you build a neck from broken glass, razor wire, and epoxy.

I may tell you I don't like the idea, but I have no business telling you that you can't. THAT is "No Rules. It's not some dogma that is designed to crush criticism or disagreement. It is meant to say weigh the options and do it your own damn way, whether anyone else likes it or not. That's my take anyway.

FWIW, I meant the meds bit as humor, not a cheap shot.

To me, no rules means try it your way. If you learn something, its a good thing. If it doesnt make sense, shouldnt work, but still does anyway, its a great thing. If you share your experience either way......

THATS what this site is all about.

And I am of the opinion that NOT everyone who comes here knows they can successfully make ANYTHING. Some are gathering information and confidence. And an occasional reminder that this isnt about some formula for success as much as about experimentation and most of all having some fun with the whole concept isnt hurting anybody.

I say, NO RULES! Think outside the box. Do something highly unusual, And share the experience.

Oh, and thats said with all due respect to Colin, who has every right to his opinion, feelings, annoyances, desire to rant about it, whatever dude.

I's gots a rockenroll gittar.  I med it mahself.  It goes mutherfuggin TWANG!!! when i hits dem notes.  It rocks like a mudderfugger an nobodys gots dat sound lik me.  Noboddy no else can make that fuggin TWANG like I make dat fuggin TWANG!!!  Thems guys tryinto make dat TWANG with a muffin huggin Straddocaster and Less Pall, but they can't not get that fuggin TWANG.  I mades  mah gittar.  Mebbe I mades it wit an ol gittar neck.  Mebbe I maks it wif a stick from Hoam Depoe.  It don madder much as long as I can get that mudderfuggin TWANG.  

I can rip th dick off of any fuggin Strat player wif my homemade gittar.  Nobody gave me no rules to make the TWANG.  I just made the fuckin twang and I MADE IT FUCKIN LOUD, MUDDERFUGGER.  

Youse guys can fight all you wan about about how to make th TWANG.  I don give a sheeee-it.  I just wanna make a TWANG that can rip th dicks off the sheep who play "real" guitars.

-luv, me 

colin mcgrath said:

You know I have something to say about this: no rules, no rules, no rules...who gives a fuck!! We all know coming in here that we can build some instrument out of a cigar box that is unique or FUN or creative. AND THAT IS THE POINT OF THIS SITE! However this creed has been some kind of no brain response to any discussion that promotes some kind of genuine individual criticism to what another does in this community. Well when thought and discusion is questioned of what individuals THINK, then it really seems redundant to just spout NO RULES!
Shane Speal said:

NO RULES!

Mudderfugg!

Shane Speal said:

I's gots a rockenroll gittar.  I med it mahself.  It goes mutherfuggin TWANG!!! when i hits dem notes.  It rocks like a mudderfugger an nobodys gots dat sound lik me.  Noboddy no else can make that fuggin TWANG like I make dat fuggin TWANG!!!  Thems guys tryinto make dat TWANG with a muffin huggin Straddocaster and Less Pall, but they can't not get that fuggin TWANG.  I mades  mah gittar.  Mebbe I mades it wit an ol gittar neck.  Mebbe I maks it wif a stick from Hoam Depoe.  It don madder much as long as I can get that mudderfuggin TWANG.  

I can rip th dick off of any fuggin Strat player wif my homemade gittar.  Nobody gave me no rules to make the TWANG.  I just made the fuckin twang and I MADE IT FUCKIN LOUD, MUDDERFUGGER.  

Youse guys can fight all you wan about about how to make th TWANG.  I don give a sheeee-it.  I just wanna make a TWANG that can rip th dicks off the sheep who play "real" guitars.

-luv, me 

colin mcgrath said:

You know I have something to say about this: no rules, no rules, no rules...who gives a fuck!! We all know coming in here that we can build some instrument out of a cigar box that is unique or FUN or creative. AND THAT IS THE POINT OF THIS SITE! However this creed has been some kind of no brain response to any discussion that promotes some kind of genuine individual criticism to what another does in this community. Well when thought and discusion is questioned of what individuals THINK, then it really seems redundant to just spout NO RULES!
Shane Speal said:

NO RULES!

Must be the heat...........
WHOOWEEE!  DASSABIGGUN.  CHOOT 'EM, 'LIZEBIT...CHOOT 'EM!!!

SHANE~~~~~~ DAMN~~~~

I Like It!  Maybe Next year in Rochester!

What? You mean you can buy a neck, I did not have to bother finding the wood, determining how to cut the headstock (if that is the right term), figure out how to clamp the fingerboard onto the rounded neck...

Actually that is as far as I got. Need to fit it to the body and then do the frets. First build, not going too bad.

Really if I was smart I would be playing my six string that I paid $650 for. Don't know why I do these things, life would be much simpler if I just went out and buy them. I might buy a neck if I was doing a six string, but for a guitar with a $1 box for a body, just does not seem right.

I'm kinda drunk right now, so I'll post another comment in here.  DERP. 

CHOOT 'EM, 'LIZABET !!!!

So, my harshness had nothing to do with Shane's post. It had to do with the several ounces too much of liquor that was in my blood stream and mixed with personal frustration. I understand the thought of NO RULES, it is what makes this such a fun nation and hobby. And Jeff, I have chosen to not medicate my issues with either prescribed or recreational drugs...so it does make for an itchy finger sometimes. Joke well received! Shane you may have some luv, but just remember I ain't putt'n out, hahaha

Oh I want to DERP too. !deRP!

I needs me some more derp juice...  Gotta run to the beer distribt'r today.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

A.D.EKER left a comment for David Hopkins
"They look a lot like the Roger Farrington creation's from 1980!"
49 minutes ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

All You Got to do is put your Mind to it ! BCB - A .D .Eker 2024

"Yes he was ! Uncle John ! thank you for the like and kind comment ! Dang me !"
54 minutes ago
Uncle John commented on Gary O'slide's video
Thumbnail

Acoustic folk box cigar box guitar @RhialtoPurple

"Nice.  Bright and sunshiny.  Feeling good music.  Thanks!"
1 hour ago
Uncle John commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

"Roger was extra special.    And fun. Wailing harp there, A.D.!    Good tribute!"
1 hour ago
Thumbnail

"    You can Rollerskate in a Buffalo Herd !!"
4 hours ago
4 hours ago
A.D.EKER posted a video

a Tribute to the Great lyricist Roger Miller ,a adapted version of the Tune " You cant Rollerskate in a Buffalo Herd " whit the refrein , on a four string c...
4 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's photo
Thumbnail

BCB Folding Backpacker 21,5 inch Scale

"Thank you all for the Like on the Picture ! appreciated !"
4 hours ago
A.D.EKER left a comment for Order99
"Thanks Order 99 for your take on the Tracks ! Glad you liked them ! much appreciated ! Kind…"
4 hours ago
Order99 liked Doug Thorsvik's video
9 hours ago
Order99 liked Gary O'slide's video
9 hours ago
Order99 liked Dar Stellabotta's video
9 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->