Have you guys saw this?

Has anyone tried it?

Here's the website.

Views: 1668

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The diodes can conduct backwards, they clip the signal and thats where the sound change comes from. Honestly, I think this circuit is overdone too, and the 2 diode circuit and modifying it is where to start.

I'm not so sure. Having 4 gives a signal two "paths" to follow through 2 different real life paths.

If this was a digital system everything would be perfect but in real life other factors come into play. Much like versions of tube amps verses digital amps.

The guy talks about something odd happening to the signal in the second version in his description.

Also, in the original chip thing that this guy built his design on, there are different ways to wire it up. I wonder if this is what they have done to produce the effects on it.

You are correct though. The first diagram is the way to begin to experiment with this thing.

All he did was build a full wave bridge rectifier. (see here)

I think (been out of school a long time and I don't work in this area) it's the voltage drop of the diodes that "clips" the signal a bit to produce the desired effect.

May not do much for you, but it won't cost much to try it.

Your right. Not sure how that one works

The diagram you have up above won't work because the clippers need to fit in between the positive and negative signal lines, not only on one.

Here is a good explanation on diode clippers.

http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/diode/diode-clipping-circuits.html

So if we find we get no signal or full signal with no clipping from the diodes, we could in theory use a step up low amp transformer like we would use in a homemade alumitone but wire it into either a pup or a piezo and use a pot to vary the voltage to the diodes.
The diodes sensitivity to voltage leveling of our signal strength can be found. We just ramp up our voltage, use the pot to bleed it off then slowly turn it up until the clipping becomes apparent.

All this wireing will make my head spin.

That might work, your volume pot would work  to control clipping so no need for an added pot.

That's it!

That looks real simple to build

From what I've seen on youtube it takes some energy to do this. With a min of 8.56 to drive the effect.

This would also make a great outboard effect for someone who doesn't what to use batteries or doesn't have access to extra power.

Yeah. We could definitely use some of that!

The guitar that I put the Black Ice into had 500k pots and worked fine. Latter I took the Black Ice out, put it in a shaver tin with a bypass switch and a 250k volume pot. So signal comes into the tin to the volume, to the switch, to the Black Ice and out or just out. The result was a slight signal boost without the Black Ice and no drop in volume with the Black Ice.

The Black Ice was worth the 20 Bucks I paid, not the best OD/Distortion effect but is worth the money. I put in the tin as a pedal so I could use it with all my guitars.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Nut

Started by Bill Andy in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Bill Andy yesterday. 5 Replies

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

Uncle John commented on Mick Tickner's photo
Thumbnail

cbg1

"Very nice!"
5 minutes ago
Thumbnail

cbg2.4

"Yup.  I get it.  A bit ratty, funky much played and much enjoyed."
5 minutes ago
Thumbnail

cbg3.2

"Very handsome."
6 minutes ago
Thumbnail

cbg4

"I like the look a lot.  My personal experience has been that longer headstocks reduce string…"
7 minutes ago
8 minutes ago
Uncle John commented on A.D.EKER's photo
Thumbnail

Decoration on the Spider & Frog

"Very pretty.  Classic too.  Andries, what tuning?"
9 minutes ago
Uncle John commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #533 - ''Beware of Wife''

"Looks good, looks fun.  But has your wife seen it?"
11 minutes ago
Uncle John commented on Gary O'slide's video
12 minutes ago
Uncle John commented on 3 String Blues's video
Thumbnail

Delta Blues Freestyle Slide - MXL 990 Microphone Recording

"Smooth old blues, John.  Relaxing with a bit of tension,"
13 minutes ago
AGP # posted photos
5 hours ago
Daniel Ackermann liked King Harvest's photo
11 hours ago
Bill Andy replied to Bill Andy's discussion Copper Hardware
"No luck"
13 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->