Have you guys saw this?

Has anyone tried it?

Here's the website.

Views: 1668

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oops, I made a mistake, sorry, the ground diodes at the bottom don't connect to the output jack, they connect  to the in ground . You have to remember, audio signal isn't DC, its AC, so depending where on the waveform it will be coming in or exiting both the ground and the in. The circuit is odd, and honestly my brain is a bit foggy today and  I have no idea if it works or not.
 There really isn't a way to put a pot on this, your best with a switch bypassing it altogether. I don't think a blending circuit would really be beneficial in this case.

I think this doesn't make sense. There's a component with ground at both sides.

You have two wires coming off the piezo, one goes to the in of the circuit, the other goes to where the bottom two diodes are connected together. I made the mistake of saying the bottom diodes went to the jack ground when they go to the "other" wire off of the piezo. We kind of use the term ground liberally with the circuit because of the oversimplification of the drawing, its more like positive and negative.

OK I get it. The guy made a mistake in his diagram. He says so in the comments.
The bottom part where it goes to earth, shouldn't go to earth. You connect both wires for the pickup between the top and the bottom of his diagram with the out and the earth to your output. Can someone draw this up?

So there are two 'ins' the top of the diagram and the bottom. These are your two wires from your pickup.
The two from the sides go to your earth and your live/out

Exactly, lol, thats what I was trying to correct :)

good to go!

That's It. Your better at this drawing stuff. Way.

I think we can work around this with different types of diodes and get a "fuzz" switch on our builds.

You have to remember that diods are not 100%. They bleed. It's that bleeding we want. It's not that they totally block these frequencies. Something gets through. It's the bleeding we want that clips the top and bottom of the waveform. This produces a clipping

It's not exactly overdrive but like a fake fuzziness to the signal.

So it might not be great, but it should cost very little to produce and doesn't need any batteries.

Pretty sure you will have to use Schottky diodes and not sure if using different model numbers will make a sonic difference. If your using circuit 1, the one with two diodes, you can use two diodes on one side and the stock 1 on the other. This might give a bit of offset to the clipping and make a difference. The diodes you picked up will clip earlier and softer than silicon diodes, but I doubt if there will be a sonic difference with it being passive.

Regan

I think this is it. Forgive the crappy drawing. Lol

No. Top to bottom but same thing. Input two sides of the square. Output the other two

That's nice and clear, shows the circuit fine. Remember signal is coming in both wires so the diodes will be cycling on and off with the waveform. They aren't set up to rectify the signal in a power supply sense, they just clip the tops off the waveforms.

Regan

Yup. That's how I see it. It's not a proper clip off top and bottom but more like a jump of flat response during certain frequencies at certain points in the waveform.

I can't wait to see if this thing works.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Copper Hardware

Started by Bill Andy in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Carl Floyd 41 minutes ago. 3 Replies

Nut

Started by Bill Andy in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Bill Andy yesterday. 5 Replies

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

Carl Floyd replied to Bill Andy's discussion Copper Hardware
41 minutes ago
Glenn Kaiser commented on Glenn Kaiser's photo
Thumbnail

MAY 2024 Take Down Diddley

"Thanks Doug, will do :) -Glenn"
1 hour ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Poorness Studios's video
Thumbnail

Rainbow Stew (low budget cover on cigar box guitar) | Merle Haggard

"A new one for me Kale, and I like it! I always enjoy your CBG covers. Happy Sunday!"
2 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Glenn Kaiser's photo
Thumbnail

MAY 2024 Take Down Diddley

"Clean and simple! Ready for a little Jailhouse Rock. Go for it Glenn!"
2 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #533 - ''Beware of Wife''

"This one is definitely an attention getter Alan! I’m not brave enough to build one like this.…"
2 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on A.D.EKER's photo
Thumbnail

Decoration on the Spider & Frog

"I like it Andries! "
2 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Mick Tickner's photo
Thumbnail

cbg2.4

"Me too! It’s a challenge to nail everything right out of the gate, so tweak them when you…"
2 hours ago
Poorness Studios posted a video

Rainbow Stew (low budget cover on cigar box guitar) | Merle Haggard

Happy Sunday folks. I've wanted to cover this 1981 Merle Haggard tune for a while and I decided today is the day. Here's a stripped down cover with nothing b...
2 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

On Top of Spaghetti: 3D Printed Cigar Box Guitar

"Thanks and glad you enjoyed this one Alan! Another Slinger requested song and fun to do. I really…"
2 hours ago
Uncle John commented on Mick Tickner's photo
Thumbnail

cbg1

"Very nice!"
3 hours ago
Thumbnail

cbg2.4

"Yup.  I get it.  A bit ratty, funky much played and much enjoyed."
3 hours ago
Thumbnail

cbg3.2

"Very handsome."
3 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->