Hi everyone, I'd like a bit of advice on what sort of finish I should use on fingerboards and necks. I'm after something practical to protect the surfaces.Also at what stage should it be applied, before or after fretting. Thanks ,Mark

Views: 4335

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tung Oil is available in many mix's. The real thing is a slow process as you stated but if you get a tung oil finnish, like Homer Formsby's it has no tung oil in it. Its just thinned varnish to make it easily rubbed on. Thats what I use and it works well, dries quick enough and hard. 

Thanks for all the suggestions, I have a few builds in the works, so I'm sure I'll be able to try them out!

I just tried teak oil on the last build on the neck and fretboard- I like the results. I have only used Krylon clear on the others.

I have used paste wax a couple of times.  I haven't been at this long enough to tell you how it will hold up over the years, but it is easy to apply and easy to reapply (or so I've heard).  The arguments against are "less durable" and a sometimes claim of "waxy buildup."  I've done three or four.  They finish quickly, look nice, and feel GREAT.  Time will tell, I suppose.

I've also done a few with tung oil.  Mine basically dried overnight and were not gummy.  I'm suspecting relative humidity...?  I didn't risk it while it was raining!

PK,

I'd sure love to see a few pics of how you apply that OZ-brew!  What is aerosol oil in OZ?  I'm thinking a cousin of WD40 or maybe Pam cooking spay!  Post a link?  Over the top: got an MSDS?

side note:  dunno why, but I thought you were a kiwi... O.0

Not wd40, Pam I guess. Stuff you'd use if makin muffins or something. I only use the spray can cos its convenient, just grab a 1/4 cup of vegetable oil from the kitchen. Be sure to do it outside, the super glue fumes are nasty. Works grea and sets up immediately. No need for pics it's simple, follow the instructions... Oil, glue oil glue. Just alternate em ad rub with an old pair of underpants and ur golden. Try it it's dirt cheap.

On a side note: fk you!! :D
Heh Aussies will be laughing at that. We only claim kiwis as our own after they successful.. Ie phar lap, russel Crowe, crowded house etc

Based on guitar building books I've read, ebony and rosewood are usually oiled while maple is lacquered. Ebony and rosewood are very hard and naturally oily, the oil helps lubricate your fingers to avoid squeaking the strings. Maple being relatively softer requires a little more protection.

I have used the tung oil on my necks and I love the way it feels. It also looks great. Polyurethane is basically like encasing it in plastic, Id stay away from that.

can i use danish oil over the strings or have they got to be taken of 

You don wanna get it on the strings and you definitely don wanna glue the strings into the slots on the nut and bridge. You coul do it with a rag and the stings just loosened off bit you'd wanna be pretty careful

Rubbed oil finishes such as tung oil, Danish oil and Tru-Oil are generally oils with a catalyst or accelerator added to ensure that they dry thoroughly to leave a hard finish. Raw or boiled linseed or other plain vegetable-origin oils won't dry in this way, but tend to leave a sticky residue. In either case, you don't want this to get on your strings! I like TruOil (gunstock finish) for necks.

On dark fingerboard woods such as rosewood, ebony and some other hardwoods, lemon oil will do the job, just soaking into the the wood enough to give a nicely darkened colour without building up any sort of residue, and can also be used periodically to clean the board. As I understand it, it's basically a mineral oil with volatile extracts added to it.

With lighter fretboard woods such as maple or oak, a lacquer will help keep it from discoloring.  I've used clear spray acrylic on the fretboard and the neck itself, but stuff like uncatalysed brushed polyurethane will leave a rather soft sticky finish which in my opinion doesn't belong on any sort of instrument neck.

thanks john i think ill just leave it 

dont want to risk it i think ill leave it it has some sort of finish on it 

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

Uncle John posted a photo

Chugger Review 2nd from left

Got my Chugger done a while back. It is second from the left in the photo.It uses a 3D printer fret…
1 hour ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Shout with Joy to God: 2-String Chugger License Plate Cigar Box Guitar

"Thanks Uncle John! And, yes, I did put the psalm to music using my 6-string years ago (back in my…"
2 hours ago
Bobthrubass posted a status
"Sorry I haven"t been on here awhile. PLEASE let me Reset my PASSWORD!!!!!"
3 hours ago
Uncle John commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Shout with Joy to God: 2-String Chugger License Plate Cigar Box Guitar

"Very good.  Original song- did you put the psalm to music,  Doug?"
4 hours ago
Uncle John commented on Poorness Studios's video
4 hours ago
Uncle John commented on Dogleg Steve's video
Thumbnail

Fiddly Rag from the book Cigar Box Picking by Dogleg Steve

"Another very good one.  Thanks, Steve."
4 hours ago
4 hours ago
Thumbnail

My entry for C B Gitty's 4th International Cigar Box video playoffs 2023 Dogleg Steve St Martins Rag

"Good to see and hear you, Steve!  Sounding very fine.   A bright and happy song.…"
4 hours ago
Uncle John commented on Gary O'slide's video
4 hours ago
AGP # liked Gary O'slide's video
17 hours ago
AGP # liked Dogleg Steve's video
18 hours ago
AGP # liked Dogleg Steve's video
18 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->