I bought a kill switch from radio shack (part 275-1566) it's a push button switch. I can't seem to find out how to wire the switch to jack? It's really hard to read what's written on the kill switch even with reading glasses...hah! I have a simple piezo disk and jack and would really appreciate if someone could tell me how to wire what connection wire to what. Can't find anything on Cbn or Internet other than other diagrams for more complicated scenarios. Thank you-Jon

Views: 3005

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

drg 2,3 and 4,the switch is doing nothing,drg1 is a basic on off detail,i would do that but with the red wire going in and out of sw.between piezo and jack,that will make/break circuit,note what phryg kid said tho,for what you are aiming for,sending the pos to earth is what you need,not sure if your switch will do that,solder your earth to jack,then put 5-6 inchs of wire to hot terminal of jack,then test on switch with alligator clips etc,you won,t destroy anything

Will use clips for sure. There's another reply saying diagram 2 is correct..your help is appreciated!!

yeah i saw the other post,maybe his idea shorts the piezo,to my mind i feel the oiezo is always active in no2,if he is correct  and that does work ypu will have exactly what you want,good luck

Darryl ,
Thank you! I will do this in the daylight! ...with clips first.

been thinking about it,i think erics answer may be correct,mine will definately isolate the piezo,but probably not exactly as you want,however if eric,s method does short the piezo and stop it from sending,you,ve got it,try eric,s first

I will try em both...glad I made diagram...hopefully works and it helps someone else. I will post results as soon as I try it

I normally connect at the jack socket like the top diagram below.  I did read separating the connections can reduce popping so if you are playing around with test wires try the bottom diagram and see if it is any better.

You are just adding a wire between the positive part of the signal and the ground so the switch just needs one lug connected to either the live/hot and the other lug to the earth/ground.  the switch doesn't need to be a particular way around (which is why it isn't labelled + or -).

This gives good info on momentary switches and killswitches.

http://alexplorer.net/guitar/mods/killswitch.html

Note that there are 2 types - I have seen them also sold as "push to make" or "push to break". The link also uses

N.O. contacts = Normally Open contacts = The circuit is open (i.e., "Off") when the button isn't touched.  When you touch it, you make a connection between the two contacts.

N.C. contacts = Normally Closed contacts = The circuit is closed (i.e., "On") when the button isn't touched.  When you touch it, you break the signal

You need a Normally Open (off)/push to make type of switch.  If you have the other type you will find the sound through the amp is silent until you push the button (the reverse of what you want).

Regards,

David

Darryl,
Diagram 2 is the one that was perfect. To all those who helped on this I'm very grateful!!!
Least noise and works until button is pressed and shuts off sound ...I'm installing into guitar and will get a sample of how it sounds as soon as i can. Once again!!! Thanks to everyone who helped me. Now there's a diagram for others to see. Great job everyone.
Also, yes it's pops unless distorted!!! Also the switch needs to be in place before soldering...a lesson learned. Still pretty cool for a hole drilled by mistake..and you all gave me confiidence I could probably install other types of switches and knobs in the future.

have you tried the 'pull-down resistor' to minimise the pop?  this is a large value (maybe 10M) resistor across the switch, this is how gibson keep their variotone switch from popping. 

if in doubt as to what it may do to your tone, just touch the resistor across the lugs of the switch while playing to see if you can hear a difference.

e

That's a good idea definitely.
Eric,
I used Darryl's second drawing...can you tell me based on that diagram exactly what you mean by putting a wire across the lugs?

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->