Well...the hubcap is thick metal and the front of the guitar is a thin stove top.
Clamps would bend the thin metal. The edges of the hub are angled so clamps would occupy almost over the center of the hub. one very dense metal and one super thin metal seems like a drilling challenge....I think the thinner metal or tin would give out pretty quick.
rope or wire seems to get in the way of strings. I'm thinking clear silicone around the edges but I'm open to any suggestions to join these two parts. Kinda frustrating as this would be the last major hurdle.

Views: 419

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

tell  me  you  didn't  recommend   body  filler and tape  . 

The weight of the hub on the back of the cbg would be too heavy anyway. The original idea was the thinner matching bowl..glued this piece of wood on the back of the neck..now I need a long skinny screw with a large washer or large head of screw to hold the bowl in place without too much rattle.
Attachments:
Another pic without bowl..
Attachments:

looks  like  you  got  enough  lip   there  to   put     bolts  around it   .   or  even  pinch  hold  the  smaller  lip  with  washers  .  4  or  5     around the lip  would do  . 

I've tried window locks before ..washers..they are ok...occasionally they clip on around the bowl ok but eventually loosen up. The lip is just a hair too short overall ..Then there's rattle. I think a solid solder or something really sealing the bowl to the stovetop would really help. Welding would be great but out of experience.

Have you considered soldering it Jon? I wouldn't recommend all the way round,but 3 or 4 spots about 1/2 inch long would do it                http://handmademusicclubhouse.com/group/tincanalley/forum/topics/al...

I have but that's alot of solder? Not sure it will hold
Darryl,
Do you think partially soldering it wiould hold? It's an interesting idea...seems to me that would be alot of solder even in parts. Maybe worth a try..

I think if you have a good close joint it should be ok,i would probably try a solder with a high lead content to allow a bit of flex,and if it shows signs of cracking later,you'd just need to re sweat it,i'd reckon

I couldn't find long screws (locally anyway) ...other than adding more wood to meet the bowl for a screw it's looking like solder is worth a try.

Solder will tear, unless you have a good amount of touching surfaces... Good luck!  If you have a Mapp gas torch, you can do a little brazing... a few tacks will hold it together.

Thank you john. Haven't committed yet but I do want to get this cbg done so it can be played hah...famous last words. I'm looking for screws first and I'll go from there. I've wanted to weld or braze but I've not been too keen on learning that just yet. Thanks for the heads up!

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Nut

Started by Bill Andy in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by BrianQ. 11 hours ago. 1 Reply

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

BrianQ. replied to Bill Andy's discussion Nut
"It’s customary to include a pic of the neck when you’re asking these kinds of…"
11 hours ago
BrianQ. liked Rob (Uker) Porras's photo
11 hours ago
Bill Andy posted a discussion

Nut

Just got a prefretted walnut neck, it does not have a lip to glue nut against, should i dado to set…See More
15 hours ago
AGP # commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP 8 Stand Carousels

""Thanx A.D." I tried slowing down the number of builds, but I enjoy it too much! :-)"
17 hours ago
Rob (Uker) Porras posted a photo

Soresto ukulele

My wife actually asked me to build this. Every time the dog gets a new collar she tries to find a…
18 hours ago
3 String Blues posted a video

Delta Blues Freestyle Slide - MXL 990 Microphone Recording

Recorded with a MXL 990 Microphone that I bought used off ebay for 40 bucks. Music - from the webpage https://www.reddogguitars.com There is CBGs for sale...
18 hours ago
BrianQ. left a comment for Clydr
21 hours ago
BrianQ. left a comment for James C Bailey
21 hours ago
BrianQ. left a comment for Airam
21 hours ago
T-Gripped liked Dogleg Steve's video
21 hours ago
T-Gripped liked Gary O'slide's video
21 hours ago
Uncle John commented on Uncle John's photo
Thumbnail

Chugger Review 2nd from left

"Thanks. Ron.  I agree on the Padron boxes.  I think they are close to the best for looks…"
22 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->