Here's what I'm thinking.

I intend to make a box out of scrap wood and a solid lump of Mahogany going through the middle for strength.

Now here's the thing, is it still a Cigar Box guitar if the box is not a Cigar Box?

I've made guitars out of Biscuit Tins, which can seem like a Cigar Box guitar, but are far from it, but is this going to be one of them?

Views: 1175

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wonder if Arnie has ever built a cbg. He lives cigars

you know, I think I will do that.

Cigar box guitar, Canjo, License plate guitar. tomatoe. tomato.

So maybe you made it out of a wooden box that held wine bottles, is it not still part of the CBG style?  I think the term Cigar Box Guitar is more about the hand made guitar, rather than the store bought standard.  If you construct a telecaster body, and make it a six string electric, then its a Telecaster, maybe homemade but still a telecaster.  But a homemade three string guitar, whether from an actual guitar box or a homemade box is still a type of cigar box guitar.

The declaration above was posted several years ago by one of our esteemed members in response to a different topic, but to me, it kinda' seemed appropriate to this discussion as well.

Isn't it great that the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution guarantees us the right to free speech. We can agree to disagree.  : ))

PS: HAPPY LABOR DAY!  ^^

I made these guitars from my own design boxes. Are they CBGs or are they just Blues Frog Creations?

They are CBGenre Items. ;-E

Obviously, they're amphibian-like chordophones! ^^

(Maybe not the best name for marketing purposes, tho'.   : /)

So do you gig with the git or gig frogs with it?

I call em Frogs Legs

No Gigs with them yet. No frogs either, but both are always a possibility.

Ribbit.

Good name...

Yes, I posted that several years ago.

Yes, it was related to a different topic.

No, I do not believe that, taken out of context, it is relevant to this discussion.

I'd say that's fair way of judging what a Cigar Box Guitar is, I'd add the 4 string to that as well.

I'd say what I have in mind with my Homemade Box is a Cigar Box build because other than the box itself, it is pure CBG.

I'd also add that most of my Biscuit Tin guitars are not within the CBG genre because they are all 6 string guitars, with fairly standard features.

Although I think my first build can be called a Cigar box because its got three strings and a broom handle for a neck, but you guys judge that for yourselves.

Attachments:

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->