Hopefully I've successfully uploaded some photos to illustrate my query and that somebody will understand what I'm trying to say.

My CGB kit from GME arrived today and I'm thinking that I just have to dock the neck so it is no longer a "through neck" so that then I can fix the ash tray bridge on top of box when it comes in the mail. GME were out of them so I got the kit minus bridge and ordered the bridge from MRWS. I assume the maker has left it open for me to choose 'cos he didn't have the bridge to include in the kit. I'm worried I'll bugger it up by chopping off bits I can't glue back on.

Ok, so I assume if I chop off the end where the strings would have been anchored I'll then have to chisel out the neck so that it's flush with the fretboard so that the neck closes. Yeah? That won't alter any magic formulae I hope.

Next query is re the humbucker pickup (that's also coming in the mail with the ashtray bridge): do I have to laminate/glue and clamp bits of wood to the underside of the neck that's inside the box so that I don't weaken the neck when I chisel out a housing for the pickup? Is it recommended to have it all shaped and coming out of the box for strengthening purposes or is it just cosmetic? 

First build and first post, so I'm all over the shop trying to anticipate unfixable errors . . . and waffling, sorry. Plus there's the bonus of Xmas with some people being unavailable - such as the bloke who sold me the kit.

Views: 1097

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ron, I suppose rather it's a cannibalized 25" guitar fretboard cut at the 5th fret.

SOMEBODY OUT THERE IN AUSTRALIA to make a serious phone call to GME? It's not fair to sell this kind of CBG kit, but for a newbie like Greg it will be hard to argument:

h: +61 7 5494 2215, 
m: +61 487 204 865

Moritz,

Yeah, I thought they might have just chopped a standard 25.5" fretboard short, too. But to toss it in a kit, thinking, "Oh, it'll just work, it's just a shorter scale, they'll figure it out" is just unconscionable. This kit is wrong in several ways. With our help, we could get Greg to use these pieces, and a new fretboard from darryl, to build a git. But honestly, if I were him, I'd get a refund. Or make them make it right. I personally contacted GME via e-mail, and encourage everyone else on this thread to do so. They need to know they have a problem.

So fret markers: is there a recognised standard or is double pearl at the 12th fret just what everybody does. The GME site has photos of all the kits with the same fret markers positioned as mine. Is it like driving on left hand side of the road as opposed to right hand?

Standard are markers below 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th and 12th fret, so on your fretboard ALL markers are wrong, that's why I suppose it is a standard guitar fretboard cut at the 5th fret. At GME they should know this, see

http://guitarmakersemporium.com.au/product/standard-tele/

Have patience for a day and check here how the story goes on...

Greg,
Another question: was the neck premarked, or did you add those markings at the neck join and the tail? If premarked, then this, too, is incorrect.

You will need to have the tail sticking out to attach the strings, and that means you will need to remove the 1-1 1/2" from the marking for the fretboard to the neck relief cut-out. Otherwise, your box will not close. Whoever designed this kit does not understand how to properly build a CBG.

I'm really sorry about this, as I know you are excited to get started with this build.

That's two things wrong with this kit. You cannot fix the fretboard, unless you get them to send you a properly marked one.

You need to measure from the headstock end, at the nut (where the frets are farther apart) / extreme front edge of the fretboard, to the 12th fret (where the frets are closer together). Do this by dry fitting the fretboard, so that the end with the frets very close together sits right on the neck where the relief cut out is. Your box should close,mand you should have a tail. The measurement in mm from the nut to the middle of the 12th fret (not the space between the frets) should be doubled; this distance will show you where on the box your bridge should sit. Hopefully, this will be approximately 1/3 of the way from the tail edge of the box toward the neck join. If it is not, as I suspect, you can still build it, but it may not sound as acoustically loud as you might achieve. You might also be pleasantly surprised.

You need to get this right before you even think about modifying it with a humbucker. Really.
Greg,
I just sent Anthony at GuitarMakers Emporium an e-mail telling him about your situation, and the incorrectly-marked fretboards. Please contact him ASAP.

I'm just going to walk away from this now for a while it's all a bit bewildering and besides the wife wants to be chauffered somewhere. Thanks everybody for your input and see you soon.

Chose your scale Greg if you keep the kit, i'll knock you up a fretboard to suit, i've messaged you my ph no

Thanks Darryl, I was thinking about to do the same, but as you live in the same town as Greg this is a better solution, as I'm living far away underneath your feet...

Yes it's wrong, i can imagine myself first time up and the confusion, i knew the markings were wrong, but i thought the scale was just a very short [ukeish] scale, that's why i asked Greg earlier to confirm the 12th fret distance, glad you picked u more, as just by luck that distance MIGHT be 242mm, then i would have mislead him badly

even at that short scale the frets will still be in the wrong position as they have been set out for a longer initial scale length. if you use this fret board it wont be in tune as you go down the frets. the place is closed till jan 4... i just noticed that they are selling the ALDI blues box for $90... three times the price from ALDI!!

The pics of their other CBG kits show a correct fingerboard , double fret marking at 12th fret.  looks like someone threw in the wrong fingerboard for this kit.. christmas rush mistake i think.

Timothy hi, the photo of the kit Greg bought

http://guitarmakersemporium.com.au/product/cigar-box-guitar-kit-3-s...

shows the same wrong fretboard layout.

It probably will be correct for this short 482mm scale: if you have a fretted 25.5" fretboard but want a shorter scale you can shorten it at any fret but naturally the 12th fret and the position of the bridge will then be at another place. That's the reason I think it's a cannibalized 25.5" board.

Shame on GME for selling this kit, but on the other side: I would never buy something from a company that sells a Telecaster kit

http://guitarmakersemporium.com.au/product/standard-tele/

for just AU$ 129.99...

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Nut

Started by Bill Andy in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Taffy Evans yesterday. 6 Replies

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->