Yo...

it's alright, what yous guys are doin here, but...

I think u need to get some *&% straight.

go down to the source for Christs sake!

Robert Johnson and Elmore James should do ya.

if u want a get slick quick... check out Rory Block

http://www.roryblock.com/

get yer groove on first!

an then get back 2 me about blues

damn;
Unc

Views: 287

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Music is music, I like it all ( well most of of it, pop can get under my skin). I see the Blues as the mother of all modern music.While speaking of blues, what about Son House? That man brings me to my knees.
Yes, Rory Block is awesome, I need to see her perform.
ok fella, i can kinda agree with you but some of the newbies in blues aren't leaving tradition high and dry. check out Micah Kesselring. that boy is amazing, and is blessing modern blues with a talent for improvising tradition. i got an ipod full of old blues tracks and cbg'ers and newer stuff as well. expand your horizons or the stale rut will take ya. thats all im saying.
I'm a Big Robert Johnson (and good Delta Blues) fan and i realy dont like Rory Block's playing. She plays (Terraplane Blues for example) very intensly but too sloppy and uncontroled for my taste , not that i'm putting Rory down or anything but take a look for yourself
Rory Block
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmR0_epz5OQ

Robert Johnson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It-tJ8DOjIk
Quite a differance.
Robert's version is way more controlled and layed back, i know no-one could ever play it like him but i think ya'll understand what i mean. This song is not just drive, not just technique but a cool mix of both. Eric Clapton did that quite well too with the session's for Robert Johnson dvd.

Plus there are still some guy's out there playing the real blues, Keb Mo for instance, Rev K.m Williams (member of cigarbox nation aswell) ,SEASICK STEVE ,Roy Rogers ,Guy Davis, Anna Popovich (hottest girl in the blues today), Sonny Landreth, Ben Harper ,Arlen Roth, Bob Brozman. Not to mention a few thousand amateurs on Youtube who sometimes could play circles around some renowned artist if they'd get a chance.

The Blues is still allive (especialy in this darn global resession)
Cheers.
Yes, I like Rory Block too. I believe she originally tagged along and studied with Stefan Grossman in her younger days. I learned a lot from both of them from their instructional tapes while I served in the USAF. There are many other fine modern Blues players like Bob Brozman, Woody Mann, Mike Dowling, John Cephas (recently passed away)...to just name a few. I personally don't look at playing music as a competitive sport. There are certainly players better than me...I like this...they inspire me and teach me new things. There are also players that technically I am better than...I offer my help to them and consider them my friends and students. I hope someday someone I inspire becomes a much better player than me and realizes all their dreams. Relativity is a trap. It is best to appreciate someone for what they are, not only in comparison to what you think they are not. I look forward to your videos. As for Shane. Personally, I like what Shane does musically and I am also very impressed with his promotion and revival of the CBG. Without this, we would not be here. He is definately a Bluesman in my book. As far as organizations or associations go...those who contribute only in a logistical sense (labor, time, money) are just as important as those who contribute material (instruction, videos, etc). There is a lot of history here at the Nation. We are all vital. Thank you for your contribution to the Nation. Enjoy.
Ok let's go really underground... Barbeque Bob! Jim Jackson! Henry Thomas (the Original Fishing Blues!) Tommy Johnson (sweetest yodel you ever heard)
BLIND WILLIE JOHNSON
if you just plat the roots you miss all the good modern players, like thorogood, strip it down you ll find its still the roots

Uncle Blues said:
Thas right...
an all im sayin is
things get a bit skewed
i wuz lookin at shpeals videos of how to play
an im afraid any body who is new may get wrong info
,,, i been playin blues for 40...
an there is a very important root to blues
... as it is today...
its a revival...
but let's not screw it up in the process...
Guys like Alan Lomax made it broke it down.. thank god.
But, I think ... the closest thing yer gonna git to early blues is maybe Robert Lockwood jr --- an he jus passed recently...
watch the video- Lightning in a Bottle
Josh.. u r good

Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars) said:
Well, since you want to start somethin'...

Mississippi Fred McDowell

Leadbelly

Leadbelly, goddamnitsomuch

Mississippi John Hurt

Johnny give ya chills if you let him.

Blind Lemon Jefferson

Alright. What do the rest of you have? Show your cards. Name of the game is Post an early 1900's Delta Blues Legend. No repeats, now!
Rory Block... Yea that's funny... I saw her at the Son House Charity benefit in Rochester, Ny.. She knows her stuff BUT she's also full of her stuff.... So I think the Full of her stuff over rides the knowledge she has..... of course I could ask all the other 75 people there who actually knew who she was..
Under Ground in Texas... Try Bugs Henderson.... American Music says it all...
Blind Melon Chitln
2 months of 7 trees full of cicadas. When one tree dies down the other gets louder. Somedays this will last for 6 hours. That drone is chock-full 'o' the blues.

but i might be a day late and a $1 short on this discussion!

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->