OK, so I'm finishing up my 2nd CBG and it's time to move on to a bass.

I've got a great Box and some strings (electric). I'm doing a 2 string.

But I need to figure out pickups (and tuners).

I'm looking at this:

http://www.cbgitty.com/cigar-box-guitar-parts/pre-wired-4-string-si...

Which is a '6 string modified to look like a 4'. My question there is:

Do the strings HAVE to be over the poles? I imagine the strings would be right between two poles.

------

Or could one of the two piezo setups work as good? (actually like the idea of being able to use the box as a drum for looping).

===

For tuning pegs I have a few set of strings, up to 3mm in diameter (yeah fat ol B string). I have heard about drilling out guitar pegs but I don't think I can go that thick (wanting shorter neck so I'd have to tune with thicker part of string).

Any good options for that? Bass tuners are a bit pricey unless going with the ones straight from China.

I want to do a double bass style headstock.

Views: 778

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

don't worry so much about the ohms of a mag pup, for most folks its a misleading spec that is often misinterpreted as volume instead of partial impedance, just like blade pitch on a ceiling fan for your bedroom, it has meaning to an engineer, but most decent ceiling fans from the big-box hardware store work well enough that you don't have to understand the effect of blade pitch to get what satisfies your needs.

ohms measure resistance - how difficult it is to push electricity through the wire.  think of it like your hallway littered with your kids toys you have to step over and around.  the more and bigger the toys, the harder it is for you to get from one end of the hallway to the other. being more difficult doesn't make it a better hallway.

pups use very thin wire, so thin in fact that is has 1-2 ohms of resistance per foot.  40 gauge has about 1000 ohms per 1000 feet, 43 gauge wire has about 3000 ohms per 1000 feet.

What the ohms of a mag-pup tell you is how much wire is wrapped in the coil IF AND ONLY IF you know what wire it is wrapped with.    What makes a mag-pup work is a dense magnetic field that is cutting back and forth through the coil wires as the metal string drags the field around when vibrating.  magnet strength, closeness of the wires to the magnetic core, closeness of the string to the denser part of the magnetic field, number of turns of wire in the coil, inherent capacitance of the coil, all have an effect on output of the pup.

I'm not saying ignore ohms altogether.  first and foremost its the easiest way to tell if a mag pup is dead if you can't get a measurement in the 1-20 kilo-ohms range.  and when comparing very similar pups the more ohms implies more wraps which implies a stronger signal.  when comparing dissimilar pups though, ohms don't really give you insight.

ok, sorry, I'll take of my Mr. Wizard hat and crawl back under my books, sorry, sorry, sorry

Thanks JL, great info, I understand much better now.

Yeah, drilling out tuners didn't make sense to me. I went ahead and ordered some from China...The wait begins.

I also ordered a jack with 3 piezos attached (parallel). I'll see how that goes for my first electric build, if it doesn't cut it for my bass I can throw that in a guitar and try something else.

Either way it's cheap and I'll know :D

Turned a p bass pick up on its side and used that
Attachments:

That looks pretty cool.

I've used those p bass pups a few times,they are fine for c bg's,just a small note,if you don't want the big pup exposed,you can mount it under the lid,and just cut a small slot for a piece of steel bar to slide in and sit on the pup,so all you see is a 1/8th thick bit of bar from the top

Ah that could be really cool, thanks for the tip

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

AGP # commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #530 - ''Pink Floyd''

""Thanx A.D." Yep!, Messrs Waters & Gilmore don't seem to be friends anymore :-D"
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
Thumbnail

AGP #532 - '' Black Sabbath''

""Thanks Doug", One more to go, a bit smaller Sign 6" x 12", and not Band…"
1 hour ago
Thumbnail

AGP 8 Stand Carousels

""Thanks  'UJ' & Doug", now have Eleven 8 Stand Carousels, all on…"
1 hour ago
A.D.EKER commented on Uncle John's photo
Thumbnail

Chugger Review 2nd from left

"Oke ! Rock Caktus ! i got Ye ! Watersavers! and still Cool !"
2 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP 8 Stand Carousels

"The Metal Corner ! fine looking stand & Gits there AGP# ,Still cranking them out like there…"
2 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Rich's photo
Thumbnail

Retro Radio Tin Whole view

"Verry Cool Rich ! real good looker ! and a fine player ! Rock&Roll Radio !"
2 hours ago
Glenn Kaiser commented on Uncle John's photo
Thumbnail

"I love Doug's work too!! -Glenn"
3 hours ago
Glenn Kaiser commented on Uncle John's photo
Thumbnail

"ALL really sweet Uncle John! Congrats! -Glenn"
3 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Dogleg Steve's video
Thumbnail

Dead Mans Rag from the book Cigar Box Picking Rags for 3&4 string Cigar Box Guitar by Dogleg Steve

"Very jaunty Steve! It’s a treat to watch you play. Thanks for sharing."
5 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP 8 Stand Carousels

"Look at all those tin soldiers at attention! Nice way to show them off Alan."
6 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #532 - '' Black Sabbath''

"Another build to show off your metal Alan! I can tell you are having fun and coming down the home…"
6 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->