I've worked out all these closed chord shapes (no open strings) so you can just move them around for different keys. Pretty much all here. Enjoy.

Views: 8021

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not at all Keni. I'm a jazz nerd so I enjoy a harmony chat and the more arcane the better.

I did experiment with tuning bflat G D g. That puts the HIGH minor 3rd on the 1st string. I made it minor so you could play all minor chords with a simple barre and add one finger on the 1st string for major. And keeps GDg as a handy open 5th for slide. That was the main reason for moving the highest pitched string to a banjo-ish location. Also means your tonic chord can stay in root position rather than 2nd inversion. Kinda sounded nice having that bflat (the highest pitched string) being the first one struck on a downstroke too.

Keni Lee Burgess said:
Hello Glenn,
I did not intend to make my replies too technical. I just can't help myself when taking about the possibilities. Strum sticks with their diatonic scales make CBG easier to play. The fretted notes are all good notes for the tuning of the instrument. You can basically use your ear and find melodies. Basically strum sticks are dulcimers, but instead of on your lap you play them like a guitar. I am quite sure if you google, you will come across instructional material. Thank you for the discussion. Sorry for any confusion. Enjoy
Interesting approach. Creating a banjo type instrument with a higher (bottom) string, certainly opens up a whole new world too. Originally, I started playing 6 string in open D tuning DADf#ad. It was only after reducing down to a basic triad tuning (513) on 3 string CBG, did I fully visualize the full potentical of the moveable chords systems based on major chord intervals that appears on the fingerboard. Now I explore all the horizonal movement possibilities created by:
D(ADf#)ad 513
DA(Df#a)d 135
DAD(f#ad) 351
Someday, I would like to have the time to fully study all this. The potential if offers for arranging is enormous. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy.

Glenn Reither said:
Not at all Keni. I'm a jazz nerd so I enjoy a harmony chat and the more arcane the better.

I did experiment with tuning bflat G D g. That puts the HIGH minor 3rd on the 1st string. I made it minor so you could play all minor chords with a simple barre and add one finger on the 1st string for major. And keeps GDg as a handy open 5th for slide. That was the main reason for moving the highest pitched string to a banjo-ish location. Also means your tonic chord can stay in root position rather than 2nd inversion. Kinda sounded nice having that bflat (the highest pitched string) being the first one struck on a downstroke too.

Keni Lee Burgess said:
Hello Glenn,
I did not intend to make my replies too technical. I just can't help myself when taking about the possibilities. Strum sticks with their diatonic scales make CBG easier to play. The fretted notes are all good notes for the tuning of the instrument. You can basically use your ear and find melodies. Basically strum sticks are dulcimers, but instead of on your lap you play them like a guitar. I am quite sure if you google, you will come across instructional material. Thank you for the discussion. Sorry for any confusion. Enjoy
TO THE WISE OLD SAGES WILLING TO SHARE OFTEN FROM THIER POOL OF KNOWLEDGE.....

WOW, Ask and you shall recieve. Thanks guys for ALL the imput. The knowledge shared here is sure to put me in a study mode for some time. Lots of good stuff here and even more I dont even know is good YET !

Jef, the vid you put up - Thanks for the time and effort. It starts out and looks like it WILL BE just over 15 minutes long, but always shuts off just 3 minutes into in ?

In any case, with all the info shared, I have copied,cut and paste, so that I have it on paper in front of me to go over.

I am sure to be back with questions.

THANKS AGAIN

Tom said:
TO THE WISE OLD SAGES WILLING TO SHARE OFTEN FROM THIER POOL OF KNOWLEDGE.....

WOW, Ask and you shall recieve. Thanks guys for ALL the imput. The knowledge shared here is sure to put me in a study mode for some time. Lots of good stuff here and even more I dont even know is good YET !

Jef, the vid you put up - Thanks for the time and effort. It starts out and looks like it WILL BE just over 15 minutes long, but always shuts off just 3 minutes into in ?

In any case, with all the info shared, I have copied,cut and paste, so that I have it on paper in front of me to go over.

I am sure to be back with questions.

THANKS AGAIN

sorry dude. works ok for me.. yeah it is just over 15 minutes, which is utubes limit, thats why its hosted at clubhouse. I gotta do that vid again theres some real key stuff in there will help a boatload of u guys Glenn, yes open minors are real cool, i dunno why more dont do em the redgum one on the right is G,D,G,Bb and the reentrant thing is cool too, my banjo has e,E,G# (sometimes G for minor), b,e the first and 5th strings are unison
Hey Jef,

Couldnt find the vid on utube, but for some reason it decided to work ok from here last night :)

Did manage to snatch some other vids of yours from the U.

Lots of stuff here you guys are laying down, trying to get my head around at least some of it.

My first experiment to show ya all I am working on what you are laying down for us, is I tuned to a DGDBb
for a mighty blues sounding feeling ( for me at least ). Working on the numbers to this still. But I think I can do it.
I think I can do it. I think I can do it.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Nut

Started by Bill Andy in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Taffy Evans on Sunday. 6 Replies

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

California Dreaming: 3D Printed Cigar Box Guitar

"I agree Alan; she had some serious pipes! Glad you enjoyed this one; it was fun to learn."
5 minutes ago
AGP # commented on Wanhavihtahousu's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_5132

"Nice Tins, I'm presuming they all have one of those 3 Pole Magnetic Pickups in them ?? :-)"
2 hours ago
AGP # liked Wanhavihtahousu's photo
2 hours ago
AGP # liked Ghostbuttons's photo
2 hours ago
AGP # commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

"Another Great Choice of Songs Slingers, "Mama Cass" what a Voice! :-)"
2 hours ago
AGP # liked Doug Thorsvik's video
2 hours ago
AGP # commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #533 - ''Beware of Wife''

""Thanks A.D." for the very generous comment :-)"
2 hours ago
Profile IconTimothy Peter Cooper and Sam Tringali joined Cigar Box Nation
5 hours ago
BrianQ. left a comment for Sam Tringali
7 hours ago
BrianQ. liked Doug Thorsvik's video
7 hours ago
Southern Ray replied to Bill Andy's discussion Copper Hardware
"Taffy makes good points. I have no experience either with the paint, but I have a bunch of 50+ year…"
7 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik posted a video

Cigar Box Guitar Slingers - Spokane, 201st Zoom Mtg 05/06/24. Only 1-finger chords, free songbooks here: https://www.cbgslinger.com/download CBG Songbook.pdf...
10 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->