I built my first CBG in October, 2014 after somehow coming across a mention of them while wandering around the internet. Once built, I figured I needed to learn to play. Did a lot of searching and finally worked my way through Patrick Curley's LearnCigarBoxGuitar Starter and Blues courses. I then worked through Kenny Lee Burgess' to DVDs on 3-string. I've tried some other on line players like Justin Johnson, John Savage and Nigel McTrustry. All of these are good learning sources, but I was wondering if any of you had suggestions for additional sources for getting better with these 3-stringers.

Views: 575

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I try to play every day. I listen to all kinds of music and watch others as often as I can.
I started building CBGs last August and have been working out how to play since.
I have to say that I have improved. Even my wife likes what she hears.
At first, I was really awful but gradually it is coming. I'm not good by any shakes, but at least it sounds like music, now.
Great responses, eyes and ears are still open...

Greg, I think the best advice so far is to play, play, play. Still, at some point, a little guidance in playing technique will be beneficial for just about anyone.

I have found a lot of stuff on slide play and now would like to get better at fingering notes. I need to spend more time playing scales just to get muscle memory improved.

Play to an audience.  That'll up your game pretty quick.  Speak/sing and play in front of people whether busking or open mic.  Both are challenging in different ways.

When you do it a lot and learn to enjoy it, then you will have attained the first rung on the Ladder of Entertainment...

Ron, I can't think of any response to your ladder of entertainment analogy that does not include the word "grasshopper".

I'm still reaching for that first rung.  I think I got my fingertips on it at the last open mic.  With only 7 performances under my belt, I'm ready to lose grasp anytime I get too full of myself.

There's no doubt that public performance will push you to play well. Getting up the nerve to jump in (up?) is another thing altogether. It's on my list............at some point.

Start playing to one person who loves you. Who really loves you as you are. Family members typically fill the bill. Do that for a few weeks / months. Once they like what you're doing, they will start talking. Play for people who build you up. Not false positivists, but honest appreciators. This may take a year or more. Choose a few musically-knowledgeable friends to listen to your stuff. At that point start asking for honest critique. Restrict this group to 3-5 people. This may take months / years. Then play out. Do it cold. This will be necessary to offset a bit of the relentless, well-intentioned positivity. It is from this point that you will grow as a performer, and learn to accept criticism, honest and otherwise. Always strive to remember, you are trying to transmit emotion.

Trust me, no one except 2-3 technicians in the audience will care how ripping your solos are. I was told very recently ( that last video I put up) by a dear friend of mine who I trust, that my songs didn't resonate emotionally with him. He was right. Others were impressed with the playing, originality, composition, whatever. Their comments buoyed me through the other criticism, but I think my bud was right. It's kinda like the conceit CBGers share about being 'authentic' or 'real' ( a common navel-gaze for the 50's and early 60's folkies): unless you were born a poor black child, who can only afford a cigar box and a broomstick, then authenticity just ain't there.

Which then brings me to "heart." Try to play what you feel. If you feel pissed off, play it. If you're ecstatic, play it. If you've lost your job, had your heart broke, been majorly disappointed - play that.

Thanks, Oily. You put a lot of effort and thought in to your posting and I appreciate it. I'm enjoying playing, but still often find two doors closed between me and that loved one. There is still much, much to learn and I'm trying to avoid flitting from one technique to another without actually getting proficient at any. I think I could spend the next year just working on different slide techniques that I've seen. It's a fun journey and a lot better than whatever is on cable every evening.

I remember the first time my wife said, "Hey, I almost like that."  She's witty.

think about going and seeing an actual guitar teacher for a few months.  He can help you in  ways that no DVD or book or youtube can.  It doesn't matter if he's never seen a 3 string cigar box guitar, if he's half a player he'll get it straight away.  You might be able to swap a month or twos lessons for a build  You also might consider a banjo or mandolin or steel/dobro teacher depending what it is you want to play.

the best

another thing you might consider:   find some other people (who are better than you are) to play with / join a group etc.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

Bill Andy posted a discussion

Nut

Just got a prefretted walnut neck, it does not have a lip to glue nut against, should i dado to set…See More
7 minutes ago
AGP # commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP 8 Stand Carousels

""Thanx A.D." I tried slowing down the number of builds, but I enjoy it too much! :-)"
2 hours ago
Rob (Uker) Porras posted a photo

Soresto ukulele

My wife actually asked me to build this. Every time the dog gets a new collar she tries to find a…
2 hours ago
3 String Blues posted a video

Delta Blues Freestyle Slide - MXL 990 Microphone Recording

Recorded with a MXL 990 Microphone that I bought used off ebay for 40 bucks. Music - from the webpage https://www.reddogguitars.com There is CBGs for sale...
2 hours ago
BrianQ. left a comment for Clydr
6 hours ago
BrianQ. left a comment for James C Bailey
6 hours ago
BrianQ. left a comment for Airam
6 hours ago
T-Gripped liked Dogleg Steve's video
6 hours ago
T-Gripped liked Gary O'slide's video
6 hours ago
Uncle John commented on Uncle John's photo
Thumbnail

Chugger Review 2nd from left

"Thanks. Ron.  I agree on the Padron boxes.  I think they are close to the best for looks…"
7 hours ago
Bassdude updated their profile
9 hours ago
RON NORTHCUTT commented on Uncle John's photo
Thumbnail

Chugger Review 2nd from left

"Nice looking collection, I just finished 2 with the padron boxes, they are among my faves. I have…"
9 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->