I have arrived at the electrics stage of my second CBG build, a 4 string license plate guitar.

I want to keep the front of the plate as clean as possible. I have neck and bridge pickups, two P90's. I would ideally like to mount them under the plate and run the screws up though the plate (though some rubber grommets). Will the screws going up through the steel license plate or the pick ups being right under the plate cause me problems with distortion or interference? If so is there any kind of shielding I can use to isolate them?

Views: 1318

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, it seems the plate does act like a shield. I think it will be better with the holes and the screws going up through.

A surprising thing though. The pick up seems to act like a GIANT piezo disk!! Every scrape, tap and scratch picks up like I was handling a microphone. Is THAT normal?!

Surely magnetic pick ups are less prone to that kind of thing? How can I reduce this effect? I want a guitar, not a 4 string stomp box!!

LOL! If the mag pup is using the plate as part of it's huge magnetic field, then yes, it will pickup up any vibrations, since it won't know what is a string and what is your finger tapping the plate.

The only way to override that would be to cut the hole and have the mag pup poke up through the hole.

I meant that in just handling the pup it was scratching and such. Not even near the plate...it sounds not unlike handling a piezo disk!

It didn't pick up the strings when placed beneath the plate and the plate held up to a string guitars strings, so I'm planning on leaving the pup plastic cover on and winding the screws up through holes on the plate.

The pup itself sounds bright and loud held next to a set of strings just by itself...can't wait, unless its as noisy as a b***h!

Tom, i recently finished my 4th tin can single coil combination. I attach the pickups to the box, as close to the can as possible. Earlier builds i mounted the pickups under the bridge, This time i put them off to the side.

If you want to hear it

You are dangerously close to a (perhaps, but not likely original) idea I have with a similar pup config.  I think the most important thing if you want to pickup on the vibration of the metal resonator is the pickups should be relatively stationary as you have them mounted here.

the best thing you can do with this imho is put one of em in upside down. which makes ithe pair noise cancelling on each other...

ed i used to think that as well until i made the 'stick-up's..

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/jeflong/2012%20StickupIIth...

you can move it around wherever you like on a tin guitar, picks up the strings and the body both and works great..

re handling noise... yes well they are very alive.  If you stick with it it'll make you a better player, theres music in those handling noises..  I totally object to it being compared to a huge piezo.  A huge piezo plugged up would scream worse than a pair of wives.

If you place them facing one another, they wouldn't be noise canceling? The wives, I mean >:-E
Turning it on the axis it was wound on as in the picture actually achieves nothing but changing the shape. A north oriented magnet remains north oriented, a clockwise wound coil remains wound clockwise.
If they are from a pricey matched set for example and one is the middle one from a strat set then yes, cos its magnet and coil are already flipped. But assuming identical cheap Chinese $5 jobs you wanna flip one over. Alternatively bust the magnet off the bottom of one and flip that, and wire one of em in reverse.
The only way to make a clock appear to run anticlockwise is to build it transparent and view it from the rear :) (or take lots of acid)

Being from the part of the world that you are I imagine you know more polygamists than I, ill certainly defer to your wisdom in that respect :)
No, I got the physics of the mag pups OK. As far as building anti-clockwise clocks go, they do actually exist in non-transparent form, and the only acid required to view them might be acetylsalicilic:

http://www.amazon.com/Backwards-Wall-Clock-Counterclockwise-Reverse...

And here's one that predates Amazon (and is very kewl in person):

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/letters/9409827/Clocks-can-somet...

Then again, being from the part of the world you're from, turning things upside down kinda makes sense. ;-) As far as polygamists go, I don't know any from Arkansas (not that they don't exist, I'm sure). I only know 2 personally where I currently live, and one of them would definitely be interested in noise canceling ;-).
That's cool!

I'm going with the neck and bridge style to get those tonal differences.
I made 2 resonators with pickups directly under the metal wok
Needs to be ferrous and not ally but works
About 2-3 mm off seems about right.
See my bug radio tin guitar and art box resonator
Both work ok.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->