Here is the Regal. After I repaired the cracks, I felt the finish on the top needed sanded to help hide the repair and new finish. I sanded off the painted white border that was around the hole and body. Then decided I did like the look, but the rest of the guitar needed sanded as well to match. I still like the look and I am using teak oil on it. The loose pieces inside the body and the top are re-glued, so I accomplished what I wanted to do. I know this might have been a total bust in some of people eyes, but that is cool. I respect your thoughts. I was not looking for a professional re-do but now after the sanding, I like the worn look it appears to have. I am making a new nut for it. I have all the original hardware in good working order so will be re-attaching them as they still are, patina and some rust. I'll oil the keys a little. The fretboard needs oiled again, I oiled it a few weeks ago and I think it may be happier with a bit more. Any ideas on what strings to put on. I was thinking light acoustic bronze/phos. This was a fun guitar to play before, so I am looking forward to the end result.

Views: 105

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Looking good Lon!

I hate using lighter strings when trying to tune an older guitar, just takes away from the sound some, so..., get you a set of custom/hybrid light strings, they will start at .011 and go to .052, a nice balance, if you find the tension may still be too much for that guitar as I'm almost a 100% sure it's body is completely birch with a poplar neck(common back then), you can de-tune it 1/2 step and capo the first fret and play as usual.

This what I do for all my Harmony Stella's and Regal, Teisco, Crestwood, Silvertone, etc of those almost identical guitars were all made of that material during that time. One good thing is you'll be surprised to know most of them used either rosewood or maple for their fretboards, even the black ones were just stained from one of those two.

Most of them cracked from being dried out, low humidity, excessive dry heat, since you repaired that already, maybe give it a head start to being a little more healthy, take a cup of water, set it inside the guitar, cover the soundhole, and let it evaporate over a few days, the wood will soak it up improving it tremendously.

Get your self one of these https://www.amazon.com/Music-Nomad-MN300-Acoustic-Humidifier/dp/B00... for this any other older guitar you have, even if you have good humidity, can only help these old dried out for years guitars.

Thanks Korrigan, yea, its a little different look, but I like it. Awesome info Richard, I definitely will look into getting the humidifier. I do want help keep the acoustics in decent shape. As for the strings, I plan on tuning Open G or Open D. Thanks for the info

several open D tuning's are used, this one I think will be the easiest on an older git, plus the sound is full, common tuning for folk, blues, and slide guitar.

DADF#AD

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation?How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Questions on wiring up two piezos.

Started by Cause the Blue rat in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Cause the Blue rat 12 hours ago. 2 Replies

My love hate relationship with CBGs.

Started by Cause the Blue rat in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Cause the Blue rat 22 hours ago. 14 Replies

Latest Activity

Korrigan replied to Thomas L. Knapp's discussion Lessons that use a GDG Tuning with High G?
"I may be wrong but I  don't think anybody breaks down tunings into which octave the…"
13 minutes ago
Keith Rearick liked Clay Clark's video
21 minutes ago
Keith Rearick liked W.M. Peterson's photo
23 minutes ago
Keith Rearick liked darren brown's photo
24 minutes ago
Keith Rearick liked Mark's photo
25 minutes ago
Keith Rearick liked Jeff 'Bones' Reilly's photo
26 minutes ago
Keith Rearick liked Charles's photo
28 minutes ago
Keith Rearick liked Dave Lynas's photo
29 minutes ago
Keith Rearick liked Clay Clark's photo
32 minutes ago
Shane Speal shanespeal.com posted a discussion

VIDEO LESSON: How to Play the FUNK on 3-string Cigar Box Guitar

You guys wanted the funk? Well, I got da funk! Here's my favorite little funk riffs on 3-string,…See More
32 minutes ago
George Ross liked Charles's photo
37 minutes ago
George Ross liked Jittery Jay's photo
38 minutes ago

Music

Loading…

© 2018   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service