Views: 259

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think they're standard issue on Daddy Mojo, Reddog and Smokehouse guitars.  They need routed to fit.
They fit on the end of the fret board. What needs to be routed, the fret board?
Clik on the 'detailed description' from the link above and it shows a picture.
The box needs to be routed to make the pickups fit in a standard flat-top scenario.  If you're working with a normal archtop, you have a little more room between soundboard and strings.
I bought one. I'm putting it on the latest build.

http://www.cigarboxnation.com/photo/absolute-final-mockup
Those look pretty slick. Lately I've been thinking about putting a pup in a build, and while I didn't want to buy one (because buying is at the bottom of the CBG pickup coolness hierarchy), it looks like I'm going to have to. These will fit the bill nicely.
That's hitting a soft spot. I've only just started to learn soldering, and I've been dreading doing pots. Now you show me something that takes away my least favorite part of building.
I will be trying one soon. Thanks!!!!!! 

I'd like to try one of these but I'd prefer not to have to mount it to the neck.  So I'm wondering...

(1) How easy would it be to remove the mounting brackets without making a mess of the casing? (eg. Are they welded on?)

(2) Can the baseplate be removed so I can make modifications for surface mounting? (ie. Are there screws holding the baseplate on or is it attached by some not reversible process such as weld or rivets?)

All the photos in catalogue's and on seller's websites seem to show similar front views of the pickups so you can't see any of the crucial detail.

Hi Mark,

This is an Artec one I got off ebay recently to put on an archtop acoustic I have http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Artec-Neck-Mount-Pickup-Arch-Top-Jazz-Guitar-... - this link includes dimensions.

If the one above is the same then there is no baseplate just a wax?/resin?  As you can see from the pictures the bracket is spot welded/soldered at 3 points so could be removed with 3 small residual blemishes left afterwards.

When I was looking I did notice you can get a similar type which has a fixing bracket to the side for attaching to a pick guard http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Artec-Side-Mount-Pickup-Arch-Top-Jazz-Guitar-...

Regards,

David
Mark aka. Junk Box Instruments said:

I'd like to try one of these but I'd prefer not to have to mount it to the neck.  So I'm wondering...

(1) How easy would it be to remove the mounting brackets without making a mess of the casing? (eg. Are they welded on?)

(2) Can the baseplate be removed so I can make modifications for surface mounting? (ie. Are there screws holding the baseplate on or is it attached by some not reversible process such as weld or rivets?)

All the photos in catalogue's and on seller's websites seem to show similar front views of the pickups so you can't see any of the crucial detail.

David, many thanks for that. It seems it might be tricky to modify the neck-mounted version for what I have in mind. However the side-mounted one looks interesting. My guess is that the internals are the same (that would certainly make sense in terms of design and tooling costs)

David Lloyd said:

Hi Mark,

This is an Artec one I got off ebay recently to put on an archtop acoustic I have http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Artec-Neck-Mount-Pickup-Arch-Top-Jazz-Guitar-... - this link includes dimensions.

If the one above is the same then there is no baseplate just a wax?/resin?  As you can see from the pictures the bracket is spot welded/soldered at 3 points so could be removed with 3 small residual blemishes left afterwards.

When I was looking I did notice you can get a similar type which has a fixing bracket to the side for attaching to a pick guard http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Artec-Side-Mount-Pickup-Arch-Top-Jazz-Guitar-...

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

Bobthrubass posted a status
"Sorry I haven"t been on here awhile. PLEASE let me Reset my PASSWORD!!!!!"
23 minutes ago
Uncle John commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Shout with Joy to God: 2-String Chugger License Plate Cigar Box Guitar

"Very good.  Original song- did you put the psalm to music,  Doug?"
1 hour ago
Uncle John commented on Poorness Studios's video
1 hour ago
Uncle John commented on Dogleg Steve's video
Thumbnail

Fiddly Rag from the book Cigar Box Picking by Dogleg Steve

"Another very good one.  Thanks, Steve."
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
Thumbnail

My entry for C B Gitty's 4th International Cigar Box video playoffs 2023 Dogleg Steve St Martins Rag

"Good to see and hear you, Steve!  Sounding very fine.   A bright and happy song.…"
1 hour ago
Uncle John commented on Gary O'slide's video
1 hour ago
AGP # liked Gary O'slide's video
14 hours ago
AGP # liked Dogleg Steve's video
15 hours ago
15 hours ago
15 hours ago
AGP # liked Gary O'slide's video
15 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->