Why do I make videos? Why do I get comments? Why does some of the best stuff get few comments?

Why do I make videos?  

It is fun to play and sing  just for my self.   But sometimes many players and singers want an AUDIENCE.   In fact, we would like an audience that pays some attention - more like a concert  than playing a bar or restaurant and being pretty much back ground music. 

Thanks to CBN, I have an audience.   Better yet, it is a friendly and tolerant audience. 

I also enjoy learning new songs and playing them.  Some times they get added to my repertoire and some times they are soon forgotten. 

CBN videos are also a song writer's community. 

Why do I get comments and some likes?  

CBN is a social network.  I try to  responds to other folk's videos, photos and posts.  I develop friends and relationships.  Some of those folks tend to respond back to my posts.  A social network is a bit like real life.  

Additionally, I try not to waste people's times.  I edit the vid so you don't have to wait 20 seconds for the content to start.   I often post lyrics and chords with vids.  People like that.   No matter how clear the singer puts out the lyrics, folks will not hear them all clearly. 

When I post a photo, I try to put up info.  I try to tell the truth.  Not everything I build plays well!

Why does some of the best stuff get few comments? 

Again, it is a social network.   Something good will get looks and comments at least the first few times the person post.  .  If the poster does not respond to others, he or she soon gets few comments back.  

Views: 1097

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yup, on most of that, Wes.   You seem to have found your best talent and niche in the lap steel thing.  Sounding good man.  Nice to hear you and Kathy.

Yes, I think people make videos because this is a virtual community.  In a real community, you may perform in the street or in a community venue but this gets your performance to people who like the same stuff.  Also, the vast majority of feedback is supportive and helpful.

People comment on stuff because they like to be involved and show support.  I think the number of comments depends on a few things: how fast the front page is turning over, how many people are around and whether they have time to listen and comment.  If a few people start a conversation about your vid, you get lots of comments.

As for me, I did quite a bit of CBG stuff in 2013.  However, 2014 was very different owing to having more work and some family issues to manage.  In 2014 I didn't build anything or make any vids, so I porbably posted less on here, too.  Maybe I'll do more CBG things in 2015 but, if the first few weeks are anything to go by, maybe I won't :-\

Well said, Diggly.  I wish you a good 2015.

It takes a wagon load of courage to make/share a playing video...you have that in spades. We like, and comment because you rock, you take chances with lyrics that tell us more about your humble nature than you realize (Dick in the Dirt...one of my favorites), and you're always willing to offer comments on our posts too.

Why not much comment on the real good ones? Hmm, they're all good, Uncle John...but sometimes I forget to reciprocate. My bad.

You do fine, Scott.    And you make a LOT of interesting stuff and a little bit out there stuff.   I would bet $1.35 that you are one of the folks who plays a whole lot better than he thinks he does.

Thanks Uncle John,

I do play, but I find myself uncontrollably drawn to my workbench. Perhaps I'll come out of my shell someday and make some noise.

I love to build too, Scott.   Hence the multitudes.   I have one cookin' right now that is on my mind.

First of all  since day one of joining the nation (U.J.) Uncle John has shown up!

I am getting better at responses but when i don't it does not mean i am not inspired by others vids and build pix.

For me i try to have a message and meaning to my stuff that really is a reflection of my journey in music and life!

I am sure we all have been to a place where we just needed to hear the magical sound of an instrument to let things melt away.

I think every one is on some kind of level though it may be different still together we balance each other out that makes the CBN family! 

A big thanks for me and to many goes out  to Shane Speal who really got me (us) into this crazy world of CBG'S  

So play and learn, fail (laugh about it) get back up, play and learn some more and make a joyful noise!!!! 

J Rob.

Yas, yas, yas!

I found this site after I had built a few 6 string cbg's. I was building a cigar box amp and was looking for a wiring diagram from a Smokey amp on google images. I hit a link on a picture that said Cigarboxnation. I had no idea people were building , 3 string 4 string 2 string guitars about a week later I took some picture of my builds signed up posted them, then added a few video I had made with factory guitars as I had never recorded a cbg.

3 days after I started my page I was recording stuff for the Townes Van Zandt tribute. Just a bunch of friendly supportive people building playing and talking about music. I don't post a lot of live vids as a lot of my vids are multi track recordings and after watching vids from bug and clock and other I was hooked on trying to match song to video.

The best players not getting the most hits like (Shane,Justin) is they tend not to respond but it's great that they do post. Night Owl is one of my favorites. I leave it at that there are many.

Another fine post John and thanks for the kind comment toward me folk's, sorry Oily I could make HD and longer vids if I was on Youtube but it's just more work then fun. 

Rock or Blues on Nation. Build  a good one.

Yup.  Agree on that.  Always good to hear you and maybe especially on Townes or Jimmy Rogers.  Or Merle.  Gees. 

Why do I make videos?

I don't like making them because the little red light scares me. Honestly, most of my sit downs happen very spur of the moment.  When ever I plan to record, the house is too noisy or something comes up. Just easier to let it happen. Sometimes I get lucky and capture something worth while. I may record one out of every fifty sit downs, then take the best five minutes or so to post a video with.

Comments and Likes.

I don't always comment but the like button is a quick way to show you've been there and appreciate it.

Always looking out for newbies and wait to hear something new or different from them.

I like to hear people mix it up from time to time but also like certain styles that some seasoned players have and deliver.

Jim Morris has the old timey sound I covet.

John McNair just brings it home with the improv delta sounds.

Turtlehead blends the old with the new. Nice and polished but with a rustic feel and vice versa. 

Too many to keep going but the talent here is really remarkable.

Few comments and Likes.

Never been too concerned with how many I get. My music's isn't for everybody and could easily be labeled as boring.

I'm just not a raunchy blues player although listening to it is what drove me to this site via John McNair.

After a year or so of lurking and learning I wanted to play what I wasn't hearing. Just didn't make sense to me trying to imitate other people and reproducing what was already happening.

On a personal note. The holidays brought some unwelcome drama to my life that ( I felt) had to be addressed immediately and it had consequences. Can't get too detailed but I can say I would do it again if I had to and my trail is set for March 6th but it most likely won't get that far. Just don't mess with my wife! 

Just as things were calming down, a little over three weeks ago I took a nasty steam burn to my left hand. OUCH!!!

It's healing slowly but the nerves in my ring finger may be damaged permanently. It cooked through right to the bone and then some right at the knuckle. Playing has been limited lately but I still get a few minutes in each day. Hope to post something soon.

John, in a weird way I actually consider you a real uncle. You have more nephews out there than you know.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->