This could be git related or not. So, what's on your workbench at the moment?

I have 4 scarf joint necks in different stages of work.

A 25" scale pine 5 string neck for a Banjo-Res, A 25" scale Red Oak neck for my 6 string Strat-Res build, A 24 & 1/2" scale Red Oak neck for my 6 string Double Cut Tele build and a 27" scale 6 string Baritone Conversion neck for a Modern Strat body I have.

Views: 30921

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I tried to make a barrel/drum sander attachment for my router, but it was much too fast. The drill press is probably the better choice.

Didn't say anything earlier in case it maybe worked for you.

I'm a bit dumb, not sure what machine we are talking about, if it's what I think it is, is it what we call a Spindle Sander in Aussie?. like mine here......

….or like my drill press "drum sander?

Taff

That would be the one.

Yep that'll be it. Barrel or spindle depending on who your talking to. Both of them. 

After giving it some good thought I really don't need a specialty tool sitting around the shop. So making a table for the drill press would be my better choice after all. Plus I can use a lager center rod in the drill press.

My good blades for the scroll saw came in! Now it's time to start playing, OK, practicing with them. The cheesy blades that came with scroll saw are all pinned and wide. So there was no way to make inside cuts with them. Unless I wanted to drill a half inch hole. Now i have to go on line and find out what side is up on these things. They are so thin and small it's hard to see the teeth. : )  Going to be 'practicing with #3 ultra reverse tooth Flying Dutchman's.  

Hi, specialty tools/machines, man where would I be without them. I have so many that I have to take photos and notes of how to use them, cos next time I pull it out I would have forgotten the particular process.

This next sander is easy to remember even though I built It possibly 40 years ago, the date has worn off. Its a drum sander that is handheld, or can be fixed/mounted in different ways for different jobs. I have to make my own sandpaper sleaves though, as back in the day I could not buy them so I did not worry about the diameter of the pipe I used.

Its a length of pipe [if you know a woodturner you could use wood] with a bearing mounted in the handle end and a spigot on the other to take a drill chuck. A couple of ideas shown here. 

Its normally held buy the handle [shown in vice] in one hand, and the drill held in the other hand. My wife bought me that Black and Decker drill 50 years ago, no plastic in this tool.

If I made a rise and fall table I would have a simple thickness sander. I'll show you one next time.

Cheers Taff

I've found DIYs on Youtube about making the barrels. And even how to make a handle for a hand held drill one. My barrels are only going to be two inches tall. Don't need em any taller for electric guitar work. But If in time a need a few taller I have the tools to make them. 

This is the vid I'll follow to make my drums.

DIY spindle sander.

Good stuff there CTBR. Hard to come up with a short name for you. Don't want to call you Rat. Haha.

Those are cool and I had to smack myself for not thinking of them, so thanks for that Taff. LOL

Thanks Paul, here's a few more that may interest. The collection of my drill press sanders has a planner attachment that can be set up as a thicknesser, also notice that some of the drum sanders have a ring/guide on the bottom so as to reference off of a template. And the one without a sandpaper sleave is filled with air.

The old router shows how I use it as an overhead router, Makita.

And the drill press also has a thickness sander fence set up for small stuff. I use it for thicknessing bindings but can be used for cigar box sides etc.

Lots of toys!!! AWESOME!  I should be able to do the same with my drill press table once I get the barrels made. 

So here's how my drill press table will work. It will sit on top of the drill press's table. Then camped to that table from underneath. A simple clamp system using bolts imbedded into both the 2x4 under the table and in the 'badonkadonk' handles. I wanted some good beefy handles. : ) The wide gray and cut down 2x6 is the clamp that will hold the table top to the drill press's swing table. 

This second pic is the work surface. Plenty of room to swing a guitar around. Yep, it's particle board. But it's not a tool designed for a lot of abuse anyway. Still have to dress the edges and round the corners up.

There's enough room to swing the 2 inch barrels in and out of the chuck. All I have to do now is make the barrels. Get all the 3/8's threaded rods, nuts and washers and I'll be in business! 

That looks great, a nice smooth surface.

Hi, That's a nice large table to work on, I haven't got room for a big table like that. I have to walk like a runway model, get through my machines as it is, I have to remember not to swing my hips when out of the workshop in public. 

Taff

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

A.D.EKER left a comment for David Hopkins
"They look a lot like the Roger Farrington creation's from 1980!"
1 hour ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

All You Got to do is put your Mind to it ! BCB - A .D .Eker 2024

"Yes he was ! Uncle John ! thank you for the like and kind comment ! Dang me !"
1 hour ago
Uncle John commented on Gary O'slide's video
Thumbnail

Acoustic folk box cigar box guitar @RhialtoPurple

"Nice.  Bright and sunshiny.  Feeling good music.  Thanks!"
1 hour ago
Uncle John commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

"Roger was extra special.    And fun. Wailing harp there, A.D.!    Good tribute!"
1 hour ago
Thumbnail

"    You can Rollerskate in a Buffalo Herd !!"
4 hours ago
4 hours ago
A.D.EKER posted a video

a Tribute to the Great lyricist Roger Miller ,a adapted version of the Tune " You cant Rollerskate in a Buffalo Herd " whit the refrein , on a four string c...
4 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's photo
Thumbnail

BCB Folding Backpacker 21,5 inch Scale

"Thank you all for the Like on the Picture ! appreciated !"
4 hours ago
A.D.EKER left a comment for Order99
"Thanks Order 99 for your take on the Tracks ! Glad you liked them ! much appreciated ! Kind…"
4 hours ago
Order99 liked Doug Thorsvik's video
9 hours ago
Order99 liked Gary O'slide's video
9 hours ago
Order99 liked Dar Stellabotta's video
9 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->