This could be git related or not. So, what's on your workbench at the moment?

I have 4 scarf joint necks in different stages of work.

A 25" scale pine 5 string neck for a Banjo-Res, A 25" scale Red Oak neck for my 6 string Strat-Res build, A 24 & 1/2" scale Red Oak neck for my 6 string Double Cut Tele build and a 27" scale 6 string Baritone Conversion neck for a Modern Strat body I have.

Views: 30922

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The old B & D stuff was fantastic. Then they moved overseas and their quality took a dive. Now their quality is steadily going back up.

As for Battery operated power tools, the only ones I would personally buy would be Makita. They were the only reliable ones that I knew about. If you do buy a battery operated tool, get one that comes with 2 batteries because one replacement battery costs almost as much as the tool.

I prefer a power tool with a cord for real power that lasts more than 5 minutes. Okay, rant over.;)

Everyone, just stand to the left, kickbacks happen, just don't let it hit you. and second, keep the blade low and don't use your hand to pull the piece from the top. one kickback, I had the blade too high and the kickback pulled my fingers into the blade. Wasn't focused. Stay focused.

You can solve a lot of kickback issues by mounting the splitter permanently behind the blade on the riser arm for the motor. There's a YouTube video on it which explains how and why. Mounted that way it keeps your workpiece off the back teeth which grabs and slingshot it. Its proportional to the blade height. It maybe a pita to install, but it beats a hole in the wall or someone! If I can find it I'll post the link. Also make or buy finger/feather boards. They keep the material against the fence and table, as well as stopping kickback. Check out the one called 'HedgeHog'! I'm not affiliated with the product or am I receiving a compensation for them! I like the design over the straight ones I use to make.

Good to know.

That hedgehog featherboard looks interesting, might have to check one out!

Michael, I've had the same Dewalt drill for over thirty years now. Burned out two Black and Deckers. Got this one and never looked back. Personally I'm not a fan of battery powered tools. If the manufacturer wants to make an upgrade this may mean changing the battery. When that happens older tools become obsolete. As far as micro routers go my father in law had two Rotos die on him. Both after light use. Nether of them lasted more than a year. 

Cool Dog Hooch, kick back can happen at the front of the blade when the fence your relying on moves. Dig feather boards. I've seen the home made ones but never made one for myself. 

Guess this all proves a wise old saying I heard years ago. "Cheap tools are expensive to use." 

All this cold and wet weather is slowing my builds down. The only place I have to spray is outside. 

Hi again, I just tried, before offering this tip, at cutting two strips of timber on my 10" table saw. One was 10mm wide and the other 1mm wide, and neither one spat back from between the saw blade and fence. The wider piece I had to push back out and the thin strip just slowly "rattled" its way back out with slight friction from the rotating blade. 

I think the reason for this is good saw set up. The saw blade and fence being perfectly aligned.

If you take the slot in the table top that guides the mitre fence, as a reference, line up the saw blade with this slot, this will mean looking for adjusting bolts under the table. wind the saw blade up high and measure from the front and back of the blade to the edge of the slot in the table. When the the two measurements are the same the saw is in line with that slot.

Now do the same with the fence measure the front and back of the fence face to the same slot in the table, and adjust the fence until it is also true. Also check that as you tighten the fence into position that it is not being pulled out of square for some reason.

You can use an adjustable sliding carpenters square, or a device like shown here that I made up some years ago.

I also have my blade a bit higher so the stock does not try to ride up onto the blade, but the blade is rotating down onto the surface of the wood.

Taff

Don't leave out the zero clearance saw slot. You make this by purchasing or making an insert, then raise the blade up through it. so cool. pieces don't get to fall into the wider slot, etc.

Taffy, I have to add leaving the blade high isn't the best idea. The best idea is a good quality super sharp blade. Lots of carbide teeth will slice like butter. I swap out blades for different cuts, have one blade still like new. A "bit" higher is fine. however, the higher the blade the squarer the cut (at the end of the cut), if for some reason you may not want to go all the way through. Again, dicy. A high blade likes to cut body parts rather than wood. I may be contradicting former advice. Stay focused and don't rush. Multi purpose blades can be trouble.

Yep dead right. Body parts only get cut if you put them where the wood should be. I keep my body parts the same safe distance from a blade if it's high or low. 

Taff

Okay, I found a video on blade height,  Hi vs Low(click here)

Wrong link? This one for intonation. Put up the other one KOOL DOG. Thank you. 

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
5 minutes ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
18 minutes ago
BrianQ. liked Gary O'slide's video
13 hours ago
David Hopkins commented on David Hopkins's photo
Thumbnail

Anti-Body Guitars 18,19 and 20

"Thanks Doug.  You know... i should have made it a lefty since I don't play either way.…"
15 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on David Hopkins's photo
Thumbnail

Anti-Body Guitars 18,19 and 20

"Very cool builds David! I favor the center one; probably because I’m a lefty, not that the…"
15 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

All You Got to do is put your Mind to it ! BCB - A .D .Eker 2024

"I like your creative take on this Roger Miller classic Andries! As for the Slingers version well…"
15 hours ago
Gary O'slide posted videos
16 hours ago
BrianQ. liked Randy S. Bretz's photo
16 hours ago
BrianQ. commented on Randy S. Bretz's photo
Thumbnail

On the Bench

"Oohh, SpectraPly! I likey Randy!!"
16 hours ago
BrianQ. liked Doug Thorsvik's video
16 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Doug Thorsvik's video
19 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked A.D.EKER's video
19 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->