Thought I might start a discussion around what kind of workspace cbg buffs craft their intruments. For those like myself,who rent in a small unit you couldn't swing a cat in,it can be difficult working without trashing the carpet etc.I'm sure some of you folks have work benches etc to make a newb like me salivate. I'll get the ball rollin and say I did my first build in the bathroom mostly, on top of the washing machine. And a coffee table by the T.V. I throw a big plastic sheet on the carpet under it to catch sawdust etc.Needless to say I have trashed the washing machine lid and top of coffee table.And a few old books to cut on. Come on folks.I am sure someone has a story bout makin a cbg in bed. Or in the Loo he he he

Views: 1845

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You can't beat a good shed Blues. Have so many nice thoughts of watchin my father tinkering in his big shed when I was a wee lad. Lol I think we get less organised after a certain age, well I find I am.

Pavlo, gotta echo Justin's comment. Ya setup sounds Niiiiceeeee!!!!

@Lane. Can't say I have planned a build yet.Sounds like something I should get around to next time around.

Thanks Jonno. It may not be the most spacious place, but it works for me.

As far as the disorginization of my workspaces, its just like my Dad. I've become him

My build space is one second hand workbench and a desk I made in my garage, the rest of the garage is full of crap and the wife gets on at me to clean it, but, well that's not fun so no :D

could be the reason I never got remarried......

Ha ha, funny. So far my wife is tolerant, especially for living how we do, but occasionally she will call me a hoarder when I find some new boxes and little this and thats for future projects. I tell her it's just a matter of opinion.

Show her who da boss Pavlo. Nothin can come between a dude and his cbg passion. Just kiddin.

@ Jobo .Soldier on mate. Not havin much room can suck at times.

@ Way. Thatz the spirit he he.

@ Blues. I hear ya about becoming more like your dad. People tell me a lot now that my mannerisms and such remind them of my old man. And you know, he was really into wood and crafting, boat building etc etc. I never was into wood or makin stuff. Now I have this cbg passion, and though my stuff ain't that great, compared to his wood craft, when I sit watchin t.v and sandin a neck , I somehow feel he is smilin down on me.

Cheers all. Jonno

Haha, you don't know my wife! She has been patient so far, but I have been called a hoarder a few times. I may have to sell one every now and then. I am now trying to have my blues boxes represent places I have been on this trip. The one for Texas may take up some room, since you know everything is big in Texas. 

In a lot of ways I am now finding in my forties my dad and I are similar in our views. It's okay cuz the old man and I are like the Lone Ranger and Tonto. He beat stage 4 melanoma naturally, and has been surviving various other ailments including lukemia without chemo. I know it has nuthin to do with guitars, but it doesn't hurt to pay tribute to our dads once and a while. But in a lot of ways I am like him, and I did not forsee this in my 20s.

I like the paying it forward idea. I may do that with my first one. Most places I brought the red guitar to try out amps into offered to sell for me. BTW I played through the micro cube. I am just going to be real nice to my wife and get one used. Nice sounding amp that you can play quiet. What is OFS btw?

Hi, over the years I've had a few workshops, from hiding work under my bench at my day job to do at lunch time, to the "lean too" on the back of our first house [pictured] to beautiful purpose built rammed earth workshop, through to what I have now. Also pictured my current space, it is actually three workshops and a spay/paint room. Took a while though. You guys have gotta start somewhere.

What that saying the journey starts with that first bench or kitchen table. Oh! I forgot to mention the kitchen table.

Cheers Taff

Yes Wayfinder, here's a sample. Not big time just part time.

If you are interested to see more visit "Taffy Evans Handmade Guitars"

Cheers Taff

All you are so inspiring. Wonderful how we have such varied backgrounds but can sit around a virtual campfire and talk about cbg stuff as well as stuff that makes us who we are.

Wow Taffy. Nice guitar. And the work shop. The Alice in 75. Man that must have been somethin.I was all the way over on east coast, soakin up the sun and checkin bikinis. Those were the days.

OFS lol.

Wow! A true beauty.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

Doug Thorsvik posted a video

Shout with Joy to God: 2-String Chugger License Plate Cigar Box Guitar

Cigar Box Guitar Slingers - Spokane, 199th Zoom Mtg 04/22/24. Only 1-finger chords, free songbooks here: https://www.cbgslinger.com/download CBG SOF Songbook...
39 minutes ago
A.D.EKER left a comment for David Hopkins
"They look a lot like the Roger Farrington creation's from 1980!"
1 hour ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

All You Got to do is put your Mind to it ! BCB - A .D .Eker 2024

"Yes he was ! Uncle John ! thank you for the like and kind comment ! Dang me !"
1 hour ago
Uncle John commented on Gary O'slide's video
Thumbnail

Acoustic folk box cigar box guitar @RhialtoPurple

"Nice.  Bright and sunshiny.  Feeling good music.  Thanks!"
2 hours ago
Uncle John commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

"Roger was extra special.    And fun. Wailing harp there, A.D.!    Good tribute!"
2 hours ago
Thumbnail

"    You can Rollerskate in a Buffalo Herd !!"
5 hours ago
5 hours ago
A.D.EKER posted a video

a Tribute to the Great lyricist Roger Miller ,a adapted version of the Tune " You cant Rollerskate in a Buffalo Herd " whit the refrein , on a four string c...
5 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's photo
Thumbnail

BCB Folding Backpacker 21,5 inch Scale

"Thank you all for the Like on the Picture ! appreciated !"
5 hours ago
A.D.EKER left a comment for Order99
"Thanks Order 99 for your take on the Tracks ! Glad you liked them ! much appreciated ! Kind…"
5 hours ago
Order99 liked Doug Thorsvik's video
10 hours ago
Order99 liked Gary O'slide's video
10 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->