Thought I might start a discussion around what kind of workspace cbg buffs craft their intruments. For those like myself,who rent in a small unit you couldn't swing a cat in,it can be difficult working without trashing the carpet etc.I'm sure some of you folks have work benches etc to make a newb like me salivate. I'll get the ball rollin and say I did my first build in the bathroom mostly, on top of the washing machine. And a coffee table by the T.V. I throw a big plastic sheet on the carpet under it to catch sawdust etc.Needless to say I have trashed the washing machine lid and top of coffee table.And a few old books to cut on. Come on folks.I am sure someone has a story bout makin a cbg in bed. Or in the Loo he he he

Views: 1845

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

G'day Grandpa. Bet you caught a few rights at Bells. Thinkin you were and maybe still are a surfer dude,given the Torquay and So Cal locales. I was a blonde haired, blue eyed hardcore surfer. Gave it all away in 2001 and haven't been in the water since. Sharks and skin cancers got too much. I'm such a piker. Wonder what a cbg made out of a surfboard would be like. Those pop up cabana shade things are a great idea as an outside workspace. Catch the breeze. But watch out if wind gets up too much. Cheers. jonno
Yes, I've heard of him! :)
wilko is actually a kiwi but we claim him as our own. Just like Russell Crowe. Anyway I digress. Back on the work space thingie one area I find the most challenging is drilling. Keepin things straight and true when you really need too. I am so envious of folks who have a drill press.I have what we call an egg beater drill. Cheap and nasty
Ouch. Thatz a lotts pics Way. Whoa. Well I got me a magnet and a transformer. I read somewhere else that you can leave the metal E shaped laminations in place. Hope I'm not hijackin this discussion by raving on . I am a noob.
In fact I'm such a noob I posted the above post in the wrong discussion. Face palm!!

Egg Beater Drill, I haven't touched one of those since I was a child just getting started playing with wood under my fathers watchful eye.  that's hard core!. 

Fortunately I have room to work, but I have also thought about putting together a toolbox and some rechargeable tools along with a piece of plywood with a clamping setup so I could head to the park etc and enjoy the weather while working. I think this would also spark conversation with people and maybe even bring some business in!

Regan

The 'factory' square end of a cut-off makes a decent guide when you don't have a drill-press

How so JL? Wow Regan. What a great way to showcase our wonderful cbg obsession.

hold/clamp it right next to the hole you are about to be drilling, it gives your eye something to line up the drill bit with.

Gotcha .Good one JL
I've now taken over the other half of my kitchen table.CBG taken over my life. Help!!! He he he. Give the washin machine a break. Still do me sanding on me coffee table but.
Dang. Can't upload pic.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Nut

Started by Bill Andy in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Bill Andy yesterday. 5 Replies

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

BrianQ. replied to Bill Andy's discussion Copper Hardware
"There’s a company named Guyker that makes antique bronze tuners, they look like an old penny,…"
1 hour ago
Gary O'slide posted a video
1 hour ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's photo
Thumbnail

Decoration on the Spider & Frog

"Thanks Doug Glad you Do !"
1 hour ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's photo
Thumbnail

Decoration on the Spider & Frog

"Thanks UJ !  GG (high) D, G .  only i reversed the stings On top is not the G (low) but…"
1 hour ago
BrianQ. liked Poorness Studios's video
2 hours ago
BrianQ. liked Doug Thorsvik's video
2 hours ago
BrianQ. liked Glenn Kaiser's photo
2 hours ago
Carl Floyd replied to Bill Andy's discussion Copper Hardware
5 hours ago
Glenn Kaiser commented on Glenn Kaiser's photo
Thumbnail

MAY 2024 Take Down Diddley

"Thanks Doug, will do :) -Glenn"
6 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Poorness Studios's video
Thumbnail

Rainbow Stew (low budget cover on cigar box guitar) | Merle Haggard

"A new one for me Kale, and I like it! I always enjoy your CBG covers. Happy Sunday!"
6 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Glenn Kaiser's photo
Thumbnail

MAY 2024 Take Down Diddley

"Clean and simple! Ready for a little Jailhouse Rock. Go for it Glenn!"
6 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #533 - ''Beware of Wife''

"This one is definitely an attention getter Alan! I’m not brave enough to build one like this.…"
6 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->