What I really like about this site is the generous amount of information people share and with like mines..... when I showed my latest mockups to friends it was yea okay.....

Views: 1904

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

craftsmanship is based on experience cast in personal and general rules in an eternal iterative process... no rules no craftsmanship...

Yep, and the true craftsman expands the rules, after he understands the rules

Reminds me of another saying..... a good carpenter learns how to minimize his mistakes, a TRUE carpenter has learned how to hide his

it looks like there is a widespread tendency on this site to look down on craftsmen, luthiers included, selfdeclaring itself as an artist, but even art is based on craftsmanship...

Knowing the rules and following them is what old Luthier's did, then came along the CBG that blew away some of the perceived rules.
Rules exist, some rules can be be bent, some can't be bent and some can be over looked. It takes a while to figure out which is which.

One «Old Luthier's rule» CBG revolution blew away?

Box materials, box construction, box dimensions, instrument design,bridge and nut materials to name a few off the top of my head.

An «Old School Luthier» can build a CBG that's superior as far as goes to playability, correct intonation and sound to 99% of the boxes we build, the question is whether he wants to do that, but the opposite is not true...

I did a acoustic guitar style build, but built a CBG style box using Cedar and it sounds great for a square-ish box. The shape of a CBG is totally opposed to what a luthier would build, but that is part of a CBG's charm. If I built it more along with what a luthier would build, it would essentially be a Ukulele.

I own a CBG built by a luthier, box is De Soto's Las Cabrillas, short Martin scale [24.90"], not at all type of an ukulele, but with two innovations never seen on this site...

Agree with that, Paul.  I love my big box tenors and I am considering a six.    Home made stuff that let's me play (unplugged) with friends on factory builds.

Maybe I should of said "classical luthier". A classical luthier wouldn't consider making a box shaped body. Modern luthier's a pretty much game for anything.

When the CB instruments of several different types were introduced by poor musicians they were ignored and frowned upon by classical luthier's because it totally went against what they knew or were taught.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->