My last git had two sound holes on the front of the box but for my new one i want to put image on the box and no matter what way i put soundholes on the front counting the bridge pickup and holes its guna cover up too much of my image!

i have seen the soundholes on some gits not on the front of box but on the side mainly the side that points to your face! if i did it like that id have more room for image on front of box.

my question is will it take away from the sound acustically from the git?

any help appreciated in advance!

Views: 2219

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Do you think I would be better off to add another sound hole or two in a different location and if so where? Or am I best to leave it alone?

Thx

Form your own opinion, many many people around here have not explored all options, they just say 'this is what I do...'

There are a lot of cigar box guitar builders on this site who find one thing and stick to it.  Then there are some who often or always try alternate approaches.  This is complicated because by the time you've built it of course you think its awesome, it's one of your babies.  If you subsequently always follow similar methods/approaches/aesthetics then you may never actually be able to be objective about any of them..

On the other hand always trying new things will definitely affect productivity, Leo Fender didn't smash out 1000 Strats a month by screwing around second guessing himself.

There is no spoon, and words are wind.  Make it for yourself and find out ;)
PS in my humble opinion the primary function of a sound hole in a lute is not 'to let sound out'  this is preposterous, one side of the board which is singing is already on your side of that hole!!  (ports in the relatively stable sides is different) What they really do that matters is they alter the shape of (and the supporting structure behind) the soundboard.  The sink-cover cult will of course disagree entirely.  Again, its my opinion entirely; adding a big chunk of mass to the soundboard (sink drain cover, ick!, people saw this on dobros and nationals and thought 'oh boy thats cool!'   but dobros don't get their volume from a singing wooden top at all do they?...) entirely negates any benefits of cutting a hole in the first place...

Thanks. Lots to chew on. I am happy with the sound. It as you say, I have nothing to compare it to. I need to try out a few things. Thank you!

There is only one thing to do then.  Build another.  And another.  And another. Rinse.  Repeat.  :)

:)
Thx and yes I think I will leave well enough alone and keep it as is. It sounds good and I don't want to mess around. And my wife will definitely tell me I have too many. If they were ladies shoes however, we have plenty of room in the house for those apparently. :)

ha love your last line!!

On the rigid side, I prefer a longer slot vs. round sound holes.Chamfering the edge so there's a sharper point on the outside leaves a nice finish that really doesn't need any trim.  If you are dissatisfied with the sound of your guitar like it is muffled, maybe consider cutting open the space between the 2 holes.

No one said these things have to be round with curtain grommets.

im a sucker for symitry acually a bit anal about it for me everything has to match so was thinking of soundhole on side facing and corresponding hole at the bottom! thinking might look better plus sound wont be trapped in one area like you said!

even though from what everyone seems to say and seeing im only playing myself there is little need for holes at all!

You are fully entitled to an opinion.  But your arguments do not in my opinion support your conclusion.

because they are largely ill informed / inaccurate...  (except for the part about them being an ornamentation, yup thats def true)

1. The ovation guitar has a fibreglass or carbon fibre bowl shaped back. There is some tiny pinch of merit in what you say, the bowl back is about driving energy forward again into the top where a conventional guitar would be designed to just get the back singing along too.  But the reason for its success was that they sound good plugged in and are less prone to feedback.  They did this by locking the sides and back down, so that only the top sings.  I do not recall anybody ever saying that they are as loud as (or as pleasing to the ears when not amplified) as a regular Martin style flattop.  Because they are not, and were not ever designed to be, they were designed to deliver a convincing sound when plugged up (and have a skinny neck to win over rockers).  They therefore did not 'prove' the things you suggest they did, they did not even set out to prove such things.  If they did and they succeeded as you say then they would have revolutionised the instrument, not just produced a fad and a couple years of Asian copies before pretty much fading into obscurity.  also, their top of the line 'Adamas' models feature the carved leafy thing with the 20 odd little holes but most bowlbacks have a single regular big ol hole under the strings.  The Adamas also featured CF layers in the soundboard in order to minimise traditional bracing and use a  soft, light and thin sitka spruce material (in a very expensive lamination process), so the fancy leafy thing can hardly be considered in isolation.   PS they are a by product of the parent company's experience and technological advancements in helicopters.  The guy (Charles Kaman) had some interesting ideas and loved guitars sure, but he did not make a career out of sound or designing the bowlbacks,. this is an absolute falsehood - he was a helicopter guy.  (it does sound like flowery bullshit from some marketing guys tho,  I'm not calling you a liar.  Just misled.)  Don't misunderstand me, I don't hate the Ovations, Breadwinners and Deacons are super cool, but you're selling a cow as a horse, they're a successful acoustic-electric hybrid thing for stadium rockers, not a successful acoustic guitar, they're not even a good acoustic guitar. And certainly not a loud or warm sounding one.

2.  Consider what I wrote, and what the Amati's and their Cremonese master contemporaries actually did:

They put their soundholes between the bridge and the closest, narrowest sides of the instrument.  Where the top meets the sides is where all the rigidity is, two perpendicular surfaces glued to a lining.  Think about where the sound comes from, the sweet spot area in the soundboard which is driven with energy from the strings.  Consider if those holes were not there and it ought be reasonably obvious that those closest rigid joins (sides) would impede the top singing, or reduce the size of the area of the top which sings.(thus driving the post and bass-bar)  Those soundholes decouple the most critical part of the soundboard from the limitations of those tight corners.   (why the F and not just a slot?? They have other functions, they point to where the bridge ought be, have a wider part right where you need it to get a tool in there and set the post, but these are for setting the sucker up and maintaining it. )

Now, consider a Martin: (the prototypical acoustic guitar that every guitar factory on the planet rips off)

This thing has an even nastier impediment to singing than kerfed lining and stiff sides at its edges, the fingerboard is glued right down onto the sucker!! (it may not be obvious in the violin pic, but neither the tailpiece nor the fingerboard impede the top)

So where do they put the hole?

NB I did not ever say that a sound hole does not affect the way energy (sound waves) leave the box.  Yes, you can run Helmholtz algorithms and tune em to some frequency or other as you can with the body as a whole, but their primary function in most lutes (if not to look cool or to lose picks in) is to mechanically decouple the top from stiffer components which are necessary for structural integrity, thereby maximising the area of the top which actually sings or the efficiency with which it sings.  Thats how you make the most out of a bit of energy driven into a thin plank of wood. 

the best.

Dang Thumper, I got all excited a while back and wrote down my brilliant idea of putting soundholes on the side and using drawer pulls to direct the sound forward........................... I still think it is brilliant.

Here's another approach that works surprisingly well.  The next one I do will be wilder.

Like The Phrygian Kid says, this does nothing for productivity!  I'm very happy I don't log my hours when pricing my guitars.  It would be a crying shame.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

Poorness Studios posted a video

David Bowie's Space Oddity (covered on guitar & Stylophone)

I've been meaning to do a cover of this since I got my David Bowie Stylophone last Christmas. This song is outside my vocal range and difficult to sing, but ...
51 minutes ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

There i was Standing at the ..... BCB - A. D. Eker 2024

"Thank you Keith for standing at the crossroads whit me for a while ! appriciated !"
2 hours ago
2 hours ago
2 hours ago
BrianQ. liked Gary O'slide's video
15 hours ago
David Hopkins commented on David Hopkins's photo
Thumbnail

Anti-Body Guitars 18,19 and 20

"Thanks Doug.  You know... i should have made it a lefty since I don't play either way.…"
17 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on David Hopkins's photo
Thumbnail

Anti-Body Guitars 18,19 and 20

"Very cool builds David! I favor the center one; probably because I’m a lefty, not that the…"
17 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

All You Got to do is put your Mind to it ! BCB - A .D .Eker 2024

"I like your creative take on this Roger Miller classic Andries! As for the Slingers version well…"
17 hours ago
Gary O'slide posted videos
18 hours ago
BrianQ. liked Randy S. Bretz's photo
18 hours ago
BrianQ. commented on Randy S. Bretz's photo
Thumbnail

On the Bench

"Oohh, SpectraPly! I likey Randy!!"
18 hours ago
BrianQ. liked Doug Thorsvik's video
18 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->