is it the pickups that vary with buzzing or is it my solder connection? I have 3 different pickups. all have been encased in a bottle cap with hot glue. All have a connection but 2 of them are really buzzing and take more gain from the amp ..same settings. 1 piezo is perfect no buzzing (happens to be on a cookie tin)...the other 2 that are buzzing are cigar box guitars.I also put glue on the 1/4 inch jack connections on all 3. wondering what it is thats different about the 2 that buzz? thank you.

Views: 663

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

somehow the tin can guitar conducts some sort of grounding as opposed to the wooden cigar boxes? I've checked all three pickups several times. each piezo pickup works perfectly in the tin can cbg. Can anyone tell me or guide me in the right direction about why this is happening? if it was a cold solder the piezos would not work in the tin can perfectly i'd think. is there a wire i can add or use something other than my finger at the cord where it meets the 1/4 jack to make the hum stop. there's no hum at all when each piezo is in the tin can...thank you and sorry for so many replies here..im just stumped

Your cold solder connection is acting as an antenna, the tin is working as a shield. Work on your soldering.

Yes, your are correct! The 1/4 jack soldering was a bit deceptive for me because of the prefabricated holes and easy wire wrapping ability on the actual jack .....seemingly easier but not. For anyone doing this for the first time...a very good tin of the wires while attaching the wires to the 1/4 inch jack paramount. .attention must be given to not only the piezo disc side connections as shown in videos. You might already know this as explained by others here. Thanks for bearing with my replies. Thanks to everyone.

Your still not getting it. Its your soldering job and your soldering only.

Originally i thought I had tined the wires on the 1/4 jack side more thoughly when soldering but hadn't . I do think that was the problem. Seems way better now. Unfortunately the first few piezos I also applied hot glue in haste after soldering...not sure i can salvage.. Still learning. Sounds clean now. Do you tighten wires on the jack and also solder... both or just one? Thanks.
Yes I agree it was the soldering..but do you wrap the wires also on the jack..through the holes?

Just tin the wires and hook them to stay put while soldering, its very important the wires do not move while cooling.

Ok i will....and pretty sure that made all the difference this time. The glue threw me off and made it hard to troubleshoot after the fact. Won't be doing that again until I'm sure I got the soldering down. Thank you Jim ..very much appreciated!- Jon

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Nut

Started by Bill Andy in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Taffy Evans on Sunday. 6 Replies

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

Poorness Studios liked A.D.EKER's video
36 minutes ago
Cigar Box Nation posted a status
"You're about to see a new Nation!"
38 minutes ago
Poorness Studios liked Steve Holladay's video
40 minutes ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's album
2 hours ago
A.D.EKER posted photos
2 hours ago
A.D.EKER posted photos
3 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
3 hours ago
A.D.EKER posted a video

RunAway Girl BCB 2024

Domestic Disturbance Home cruelty and mis understanding today's Problem Child, true all times leads to Runaway's Girls & boy's that run away from there see...
3 hours ago
BrianQ. commented on Cigar Box Nation's status
"Got my popcorn ready, waiting for the show! :)"
10 hours ago
BrianQ. commented on Rich's photo
Thumbnail

RTL Drawing box 1

"Defending the nation, one cbg at a time!!!"
10 hours ago
BrianQ. liked Rich's photo
10 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Six Chugger CBG Build

"Just stealing a page from your playbook Rich! Since all the boxes are vintage, I decided to place…"
12 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->