After my last video, I realized that just about everything I've posted the last couple years uses the same guitar in one way or another. Most of the content here is for showing off a new build, which is great, but I'm guessing there are plenty of CBGs that hang on the wall collecting dust while we play our favorites.

I don't name my CBG's, I simply refer to this as my guitar.  It's made from pieces found in my Grandfather's basement so it has sentimental value, but the real reason I pick it up every time is because it's a player.  It was my 7th build or so and everything just came together - scarfed headstock, zero fret and a few degree angle on the neck produced the best action I've ever had and makes it a joy to play.

It's always within reach and goes with me when I leave town.  It bounces around in the back of my truck and gets played hard and put away wet.  It's been through a couple of re-builds and never ending tweaking of the electronics. If I was stranded on a desert island, this would be the one thing I would take with me. 

This is the guitar that taught me how to play on 3 strings, and every time I get in a rut and think it's time to move on, my guitar will reveal another lick or chord or song. It won't be long before I've logged more hours on this than any other single instrument I have. It damn near plays itself at this point.

I could go on for days about my guitar, but what I really want to see is your guitar.

Show us your go to, #1 main axe Nation.  There's an endless stream of wonderful creations here, but I want to see which ones get played and why.  Post pics and videos and wax poetic...

Views: 1386

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I like your fave.   I don't really have any go to guitars.   My guitars kind of go in and out of favor.   I have a bunch ready for GDg, and I like every one.   I have one for EBe or DAd, two for CGc, one for ADF# and my beat up old White Owl for DGB.  That's a fave for sure. 

I have two in the bathroom, one at work, one in the shop, one at my moms.   Gees, some of you drop by and maybe I can part with a few.

This is Lizzy my main guitar for jamming.
She has a maple neck with red oak fretboard with jumbo frets / brass fret dots and brass side dots and has a brass nut
A Purple Heart bridge with brass saddle/ 1 neck pickup /1 volume /1 tone and a killswitch mounted in a Purple Heart wood plate.
She has add on wings made of maple and all stuffed into an Acid box.

I first called her Acid Rock but after playing her in a band for 3 months she has gotten the nickname Lizzy because she's such a great Ax
Attachments:
Here is Lizzy
Attachments:
Close up of Lizzy
Attachments:

Fine looking geetar Shawn.  Headstock is pro style.

Thanks turtlehead she's built to play

Are we allowed to change our mind on choice? Cause I'm gonna. I started noodlin' around with "F-clops" reso again and had forgotten how versatile was (standard and open tuning)

Lots of good stuff here in all flavors.  Thanks for sharing everybody. Kind of a loaded question to this crowd, who by my estimation will have built a CBG for every man, woman and child on the planet by 2016 ;) Thumper already changed his mind!  Love the Dixie Maid Thump.

I like how these guitars fit with each of you nicely.  Vinyl with the big box 6, Bad Finger and the sawzall, Oily is working his way through the stack..

My "go to" guitars have to meet certain criteria, for some reason some have songs in that have to come out, and/or sound good live :-)

Slowpawcaster revised...    New Slowpaw Punch guitar

Good point Steve.  My go-to is tailored for me at home recording and it doesn't really work as well live (just yet).

Not long ago a Strat and D-28 lived here now its the land of misfit guitars and other rejects and one orphan. I been playing  the 4 string in the middle, it's the last one I built and I'm  still tweakin' it and I need to set the fret and side markers and seal and clear it. But the round reso has done the most recording. A lot of different sound right there.

That's a clean group of boxes right there.  The lack of soundholes jumps out - I've been toying with plugging the hole in mine to help with feedback.  Based on your recordings and a recent Jim Morris uke, I think I'll go without a hole next time.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Copper Hardware

Started by Bill Andy in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Carl Floyd 32 minutes ago. 3 Replies

Nut

Started by Bill Andy in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Bill Andy yesterday. 5 Replies

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

Carl Floyd replied to Bill Andy's discussion Copper Hardware
32 minutes ago
Glenn Kaiser commented on Glenn Kaiser's photo
Thumbnail

MAY 2024 Take Down Diddley

"Thanks Doug, will do :) -Glenn"
1 hour ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Poorness Studios's video
Thumbnail

Rainbow Stew (low budget cover on cigar box guitar) | Merle Haggard

"A new one for me Kale, and I like it! I always enjoy your CBG covers. Happy Sunday!"
2 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Glenn Kaiser's photo
Thumbnail

MAY 2024 Take Down Diddley

"Clean and simple! Ready for a little Jailhouse Rock. Go for it Glenn!"
2 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #533 - ''Beware of Wife''

"This one is definitely an attention getter Alan! I’m not brave enough to build one like this.…"
2 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on A.D.EKER's photo
Thumbnail

Decoration on the Spider & Frog

"I like it Andries! "
2 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Mick Tickner's photo
Thumbnail

cbg2.4

"Me too! It’s a challenge to nail everything right out of the gate, so tweak them when you…"
2 hours ago
Poorness Studios posted a video

Rainbow Stew (low budget cover on cigar box guitar) | Merle Haggard

Happy Sunday folks. I've wanted to cover this 1981 Merle Haggard tune for a while and I decided today is the day. Here's a stripped down cover with nothing b...
2 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

On Top of Spaghetti: 3D Printed Cigar Box Guitar

"Thanks and glad you enjoyed this one Alan! Another Slinger requested song and fun to do. I really…"
2 hours ago
Uncle John commented on Mick Tickner's photo
Thumbnail

cbg1

"Very nice!"
3 hours ago
Thumbnail

cbg2.4

"Yup.  I get it.  A bit ratty, funky much played and much enjoyed."
3 hours ago
Thumbnail

cbg3.2

"Very handsome."
3 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->