Howdy,

My home built amp has been fun but....looking to get a 'store bought' amp to plug my cigar boxes into. I'm pretty sold on the Micro Cube and I keep reading here on 'the Nation', folks urging others to get themselves one for under a 100 bucks.

Okay, I'm game. But I can't seem to find one new anywhere for under about 130 bucks. Anybody out there know of any sales any where on the aforementioned item?

Scott

Views: 4045

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had a micro cube, but went to a Vox DA5, it has a much better speaker and power settings that switch from 1.5watt,2.5, and full 5 watt. Also you can control the effects with 2 tweeking knobs also a better range of model amp settings. Runs 20hrs on batteries at 1.5 watts and still 15hrs on the higher settings-used by Seasick Steve too.

I use my MicroCube all the time for gigs. 95% of the time we just run it direct using the line out. Blow people away. 

I do love the bejesus out of my Honeytone though for playing with a resonator. It is nastier than hell. We'll be using if for a couple of track on my cd. 

i have  a roland micro cube rx that i use at blues festivals to let people try my guitars.the spec book says 13 hrs of play on 6 double a's,mine has been going for almost a year! 4 4" speakers onboard tuner and a host of effects,its the best $259 i ever spent.it also works on 120v.
vox da5 is a good amp  you can change the wattage to save battery power goes up to 5 watts has built in effects,i bought a ashton buskers amp has built in deep cell battery no buying batteries also run on normal plug it in power charges when  playin at home or if just plugged in it's a 15 watts has mike input aswell nice tone the only thing the overdrive button does'nt do much so i just plug in a pedal i'm happy with mine a friend bought one after he seen mine anyway good luck
I was just looking at my Roland micro Cube manual and it is listed as 2 amps. I thought it was more. It sure sounds like more, way louder than my home made ruby 1+ amp.
I love my Fender Champ 5W tube amp. And it goes to 12. $80 used at GC.

I don't know why my font is so big. What are peoples opinion of:

AY Turser Classic 10 WATT Tweed GUITAR Amplifier AMP

looks kind of cool.  The Vox looks cooler, though.
people like the sound and look of the Jay Turser classic, however the battery life and replacement seem to be an issue in the posts I've read, as well as poor customer service.
Thanks Craig! If I didn't owe money to the government I would probably get me a: Vox DA5!  Sadly I am currently poor.

Just got back from a trip last week and decided to order a micro cube from Overstock.Com. Total shipped = 112 bucks. Should get here about the same time as a 1 dollar Chinese single coil pup I ordered for one of my instruments. It'll be neat to compare that against the piezo I have in the other CBG.

Thanks for all the input. I'm still considering building an amp to go in an excellent Sandeman's Port wine box so I'm researching those further. May make one or two different amps since they're basically dirt cheap and swap them around with the speaker in the box. Should be fun to play with...

Came across these full range drivers tonight at Parts Express from one of their "buyouts". I've built a lot of [lots and lots and lots], of home audio speakers over the years and know just enough about it to be dangerous. In my defense, most of them have performed quite well.

If I'm doing my math correctly you could wire two of these 3 inch, 16 ohm full range Vifas in parallel for 8 ohms or 4 in parallel for about 4 ohms. My experience with Vifa drivers has been very clean sound quality at a good price. P/E has these drivers at 6 dollars a piece. I'm thinking of ripping the two crappy drivers out of a home built guitar amp I have now and switching to these. Much better quality than what I have in there now, 87 to 15K freq range and low power [10 watts] requirements...might be something for folks thinking of swapping muddy or poor range drivers in a practice amp. Somebody posted earlier about ripping apart a 6 dollar, 5 watt, bullhorn from HarborFreight to make a cigar box practice amp out of and it got me thinking about what could make that sound better and drivers like this might be the ticket. Anyway, here's the specs:

Specifications: *Power handling: 10 watts RMS/30 watts max *VCdia: 20 mm *Le: 1.04 mH *Impedance: 16 ohms *Re: 11.47 ohms *Frequency response: 87-15,000 Hz *Fs: 115 Hz *SPL: 83.3 dB 1W/1m *Vas: 0.05 cu.
ft. *Qms: 3.45 *Qes: 1.65 *Qts: 1.12 *Xmax: 2 mm *Dimensions: A:
3-5/16" (3-7/8" diagonally ear-to-ear), B: 3-1/16", C: 1-11/16".

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=299-223

I forgot to add that those Vifa drivers have a built in high pass filter/cap on them but they look like they have three terminals so you can bypass the filter and experiment with them to see which gives you better low end sound. Looking at the specs they should do better in bigger box than a smaller one if you care to try them for a practice amp. I'm thinking that 4 of them with the right amp, at 6 bucks a piece might give you something like a homemade/DIY micro cube R/X

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

Gary O'slide posted videos
37 minutes ago
A.D.EKER commented on Poorness Studios's video
Thumbnail

David Bowie's Space Oddity (covered on guitar & Stylophone)

"Nice ly done Kale olthow whit verry minimal typecal Space odity effects, i know it was your Bowie…"
40 minutes ago
Dogleg Steve posted a status
"Hey - I came runner up top 10 of the 2023 4th annual international CBG video playoffs!"
1 hour ago
Dogleg Steve posted videos
1 hour ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Poorness Studios's video
Thumbnail

"Wow! Well done Kale. Nailed it!!! You really captured the essence of the song and it’s…"
1 hour ago
Dogleg Steve posted a status
2 hours ago
Poorness Studios posted a video

I've been meaning to do a cover of this since I got my David Bowie Stylophone last Christmas. This song is outside my vocal range and difficult to sing, but ...
3 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

There i was Standing at the ..... BCB - A. D. Eker 2024

"Thank you Keith for standing at the crossroads whit me for a while ! appriciated !"
4 hours ago
4 hours ago
4 hours ago
BrianQ. liked Gary O'slide's video
17 hours ago
David Hopkins commented on David Hopkins's photo
Thumbnail

Anti-Body Guitars 18,19 and 20

"Thanks Doug.  You know... i should have made it a lefty since I don't play either way.…"
19 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->