So . . . ever since the advent of the CBG revolution - I have found that this is the demarcation line.

"Player" or "Builder"

The nation (God love it) has plenty of the latter, but notsomuch of the former.

The cigar box guitar is such a perfectly primitive instrument. It epitomizes "simplicity" and the raw joy of music. Music to the lowest common denominator. We all embrace the beauty of the instrument in that regard . . .

I suppose the nature of any "internet community" is that it can become SOooo specialized and sooo very deep in the particular interest . . . The trouble is: the case of CBG's, it makes for a bit of philosophical disconnect, doesnt it?

The nation is a GREAT collection point for ideas and a great gathering place where hobbyists can congregate. But when we delve, ad nauseum into the complete minutia of things like what-is-the-best-angle-for-a-scarf-joint and what-material-is-best-for-sound-hole-grommets - and analyze every aspect to the enth degree - do we lose a little bit of the raw "stick-in-the-box charm" of the cbg??

I've noticed that many of the early crowd of "players" have drifted away. Maybe what I feel is missing is not the role of "the nation", but I'd like to think there was *someplace* online that could focus on :the player: side . . . a place where the average curious Joe Citizen who doesn't want to launch into a "DIY hobby" could click and and simply find out where to go to experience the raw joy of people playing (I'll use Mr. Speal's word:) "Primal" music - locate cigar box guitar festivals, local bands playing this stuff etc. etc etc.

When we get THAT, the cbg movement becomes something akin to a musical genre,

am I alone in this thought?

Views: 4023

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sam is onto something with the performance anxiety.   Many not performers low rate their playing.   Then I get them to play and WOW, they are pretty good.  

Agreed. It takes balls to do your thing in front of yourself, your family, your friends, strangers, and then film yourself and put it on the Internet for the world to see and criticize.

But if you can get past all that, there are some wonderful friendships to be made.

Best way to get inspired is to go to any of the regional CBG festivals.  One of the things that kick started my playing was going to the big festival in Huntsville AL.  It was a 1000 mile trip for me, because it was the only festival going on at that time.  I got to see the variety of music being performed, got to meet players and talk craft....and discover that the gap between where I was and some of the known performers wasn't that great. (although some were pure genius)

WHile I will never be a great player (talent and commitment in short supply), never the less, I am now playing more than I build.  With all the regional festivals now going on, many more of us have a chance to plug in and experience that same thing I did.

Sam, I heard you play at KC fest.   I won't judge whether you are a great player or not.  But what you are is a good entertainer and performer.   

Pat (Maddog) you fit big time into the category of being a far better player than you think you are.  

Wes, yup.   You get a lot out of playing locally, making friends and enjoying a cold one.   Plus you get the huge bonus of doing those with your pretty and loving wife.

Matthew, you bring up a lot of good points.   Some of us have a lot of time for the nation and some only a little.   We should prioritize our have tos, should dos, and want tos.   And this is a seasonal thing for a lot of us.   I build more in the winter and some build more in the summer.   Jim Morris and  Nighthawk get involved in bluegrass and old timey fests so CBG playing is a seasonal thing too,.

John,

Thanks for the kind review... It was a lot of fun to be there.  my son was along, to drive me as I was to have some medical stuff the following Monday (everything OK).  Anyway, the KC Festival shows the impact that one guy (Kevin Kraft) can have.  Sounds like St. Louis has a good thing going (I've spoken for time off so that I can get there this year.).  IN 2015 I'll be fully retired and hope to host a "Fest" in Springfield MO where I now live.  Wouldn't it be a gas if good ole' Missouri had three annual Festivals to "infect" the general population with our disease?

The point?  Build, play, or just hang out.  We've got a cool thing going.  I hope I get to do this for years to come.

Everyone's different - that's a good thing.

Music that you make on a cigar box guitar doesn't have to be primal, it doesn't have to be elitist, it doesn't have to be a genre or a lowest common denominator or anything else. Hopefully it's just great a way for people to make music, isn't that enough?

Cue in "Cain't Be Satisfied." >:-E

Ok I have only read the first page of comments here so If I only re say something someone else has expressed I apologize. I seem to do both depending on the time of year, I build more in winter play more in summer, just me. I probably am more interested in the videos and songs here by players, but I do love looking at guitars built beyond my meager abilities. That all said. I think I would love to see a place here on the site where players could post vidoes and songs for honest critique and help. I think I know how to play this thing and then I hear someone do it so much better than me that I get all excited at the possibilities of what I do not know.I would also love to see us ALL support the festivals and shows posted here as best we can. The Muckland Crooners guys are making their  way to my neck of the woods soon, and I think I will be able to attend. This kind of thing helps to build our community. All of us who play shows even only occasionally should network with each other for slots to play and shows to do. I would open for you if you would open for me in my town in return. I know this is limited by distance and time, but we should look into it as a community. As for the divide, I thought the site was built with that all in mind. We have lots of space for lots of ideas here, if the group does not exist then just make it happen. I know I should take more of a lead role, but as with many, time is the enemy. I have 2 jobs a military commitment and 4 children as well as trying to record and occasionally play. It is not easy but I am sure it is not easy for any of us. Anyway, this is OUR backyard so if we do not have the right stuff for all I say lets just make the yard a little bigger and start........matt 

I am guilty of the builder first/player second syndrome as far as posting vids of myself playing (almost no vids as a matter of fact) There are a few that people have recorded and posted on Youtube and Uncle John and I did one for CBN. I fall into what Sam refered to earlier as the anxiety attack crowd, the red light on the camera goes on and I freeze up, I also fall into the catagory that John refered to (and he will say this too) in which I tend to think I am not a very good player. I have my good days when I play and it just comes to me so easy and I have other days when I fight myself, the better days are becoming more frequent as I try and play/practice more.

My other problem of posting vids is I am somewhat technologically challenged :-( I did purchase a decent digital video camera in hopes that I can start posting some vids playing what I build. Uncle John has been very helpful and supportive of the video making process and I am very lucky to have him in such close proximitry as I can lean on him for help in the vid/playing department, he also has been one of my biggest boosters as far as my playing goes. What you see about John here on CBN is who he is in reality, always willing to help when he is asked. It's funny because when ever we get together he wants to do some vid footage of us playing gits and I am almost always reluctant as I know as soon as I see the red light on the cam go on I will freeze up.

I am working on that as I would like for y'all get to know me better as you have let me get to know you better, I appreciate ALL of you very much for you're support and hopefully you will be seing more "live" footage of me in the future.

YEP ,Patrick i,m much the same,i love making them,but struggle to play them to a level i,d like to hear back,some might say post it anyway,but if you don,t feel good about it,it is damn hard to share it,luckily ,we have many talented ,confident,posters who bring  pleasure and enlightenment to those of us who struggle to realise there own abilities,and those like myself who really aren,t capable at this stage to expose ourselves,1 step at a time and every guy/gal who makes the leap,paves a path for us all

Well said, Darryl.  

And we ALL struggle to play them at the level we'd like.   I vary from day to day in how well I think I am doing.  It's like harp playing ~  I seem to suck about half the time.

Well, that blows. ;-)

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->