So . . . ever since the advent of the CBG revolution - I have found that this is the demarcation line.

"Player" or "Builder"

The nation (God love it) has plenty of the latter, but notsomuch of the former.

The cigar box guitar is such a perfectly primitive instrument. It epitomizes "simplicity" and the raw joy of music. Music to the lowest common denominator. We all embrace the beauty of the instrument in that regard . . .

I suppose the nature of any "internet community" is that it can become SOooo specialized and sooo very deep in the particular interest . . . The trouble is: the case of CBG's, it makes for a bit of philosophical disconnect, doesnt it?

The nation is a GREAT collection point for ideas and a great gathering place where hobbyists can congregate. But when we delve, ad nauseum into the complete minutia of things like what-is-the-best-angle-for-a-scarf-joint and what-material-is-best-for-sound-hole-grommets - and analyze every aspect to the enth degree - do we lose a little bit of the raw "stick-in-the-box charm" of the cbg??

I've noticed that many of the early crowd of "players" have drifted away. Maybe what I feel is missing is not the role of "the nation", but I'd like to think there was *someplace* online that could focus on :the player: side . . . a place where the average curious Joe Citizen who doesn't want to launch into a "DIY hobby" could click and and simply find out where to go to experience the raw joy of people playing (I'll use Mr. Speal's word:) "Primal" music - locate cigar box guitar festivals, local bands playing this stuff etc. etc etc.

When we get THAT, the cbg movement becomes something akin to a musical genre,

am I alone in this thought?

Views: 4023

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"The nation is a GREAT collection point for ideas and a great gathering place where hobbyists can congregate."

That line says it all. The nation is a place to go to find out how to......build....play.

If it`s not on here then there`ll be a link to what you want/need. There is loads of stuff about building and, I think, equally as much about playing. Loads of tips, videos, links.

Is there a need to find somewhere that focuses on the player side only?

There are loads of sites out there that do already so what are you asking for?

I`m not sure you can have a stand alone site just for music in a  CBG genre.Why?

Well I`m not sure there is a genre as such. There are so many forms our music takes. Do you want a classical CBG style, all acoustic, or an electric, modern style?

Do you want blues,rock,bluegrass?

Before you know it there`ll be a dozen or more sites to check out because the curious Joe Citizen likes a change.

So me, I`ll stick to the Nation because I can find more than enough here to keep me happy.I just ignore stuff I`ve no interest in.Easy peasy.

By the way I`m more of a builder but I do try to play.

"I`m not sure you can have a stand alone site just for music in a  CBG genre.Why?

I think you got it there T Belly. A big part of playing these things is the fact that they're home made. The building and the playing goes hand in hand, no need to separate them :)

I guess I fall in to that 50/50 group as I enjoy Building and playing and love to listen to others. as a singer song writer I like being able to share with others on here who have the same interest we all share. As a builder I build mostly for myself have never tried selling as I seen to always spend way to much on the build to ever make a profit but I like the Challenge of trying to get it as good as possible. I play all that I build all different, I have many Guitars 4 Cigar box guitars in process of building 3 more. I also have 20 other Guitars in my Collection I play them all. Been playing over 50 years worked on Guitars for many others set up and repaired . Will be Retiring soon so I'll have more time to Enjoy This Hobby and everything I enjoy doing . Ya'll Keep on playing and Building I'll keep on looking and listening .

Real good points being made here. But I don't really like drawing lines. Especially in a folk type movement like CB instruments. I say "instruments" because I don't make just guitars out of boxes. Do we split the page for CB fiddles and another for dulcimers another yet for folks who don't play blues? That's what the Groups are for! I think we can be pretty inclusive here and I won't feel shunned for playing Appalachian fiddle tunes and not Blues, as much as I love the blues. Most musical "genres" have all kinds of sub-categories so what I play gets lumped under "Americana" but it's quite different from other music in that group! OK - enough pontificating. I'm gonna go make an instrument and then play it. Or maybe I'll play one I got from Uncle John but then I'd be in another sub-category! By the way - I love your playing Knotlenny.

Yup.  It's a folk movement and still in it's infancy. You might call it a revival, just like the 60's folk/blues movement.  That led us to rock, pop, disco, new wave, metal, grunge and hip-hop.  Now here we all are back at the beginning again.

I love the building aspect, but playing is the most important part of all this.  I will only play my builds and wouldn't consider buying CBG from anyone no matter how great it is.  That is the point for me - build it and play it.  Playing informs building and vice versa.  It allows you to create your own niche, sound and style.

It seems like we have the infrastructure and the audience here to do what you're saying Knotlenny, and it would be nice to see a little more diversity on the video page, but that means the folks who don't post need to start posting some songs and some of our prolific members could dial it back just a bit.  I usually do a couple a month at best and that seems to work for me. 

The genre thing is most intriguing and I think we are seeing more interest in theory and playing here lately.  I really believe that as a group we are just scratching the surface of what's possible on 3 or so strings. We run the gamut from the Civil War era to modern day, but the primal sound still carries through. 

I'd like to see what happens in about 5-10 years when some young blood gets there hands on these kinds of instruments.  I just turned 40 and feel like I'm on the young end of the spectrum here.  If this revolution is going to last, we need another generation to come up and show us something new. 

I really think this forum has already answered your query. We have a Performance section and a Builders section in the forum. And to even farther divide things up we have Groups. The best part about groups is you can add one if what your looking for isn't there. Doesn't get any better than that. Media is also provided for both players and builders. Video and Pictures. And just like the rest of the forum you can mix and match there too. Take a pic of you playing and a vid of your building technique. This place is a one stop for all things around the idea of no rules guitar, banjo, violin, dulcimer , ukulele, bass and what ever else you can make and play by hand. You choice to make an instrument as ruff or engineered perfect as you like.

The true spirit of the original cigar box instruments was to take what you have and make the best you can out of it. If you look closely at these old instruments they were crafted. Some ruffly. But the heart of it is still the best effort that person could do. Even if it was just a stick in a box. It was never meant to be primal. They were trying to achieve by hand what they couldn't afford to buy. Primal was never the goal. That good parlor guitar or Marten they heard. That fancy banjo or violin. If someone came up with a great sounding instrument people would copy it. Even try to make it better. A primal sound is an option for us. The best sound they could get was the goal of our predecessors.

I'm not sure you would be able to classify a genre based on a set of instruments. A sub classification of a genre platform perhaps. Huge diversity in every music genre. Way to much overlapping. The Hindu inspired plutonic blues played on an electric guitar is just as 'blues' as Sun House on an acoustic. Folk or blues played on a box and a stick or a piano is still folk and blues. i do understand where your coming from. It's the sound of the instruments being played. However in truth is just a different sounding guitar.

Love to build, love to play, love both. It's all art.

Forgive my ignorance... How would one go about adding a group?

Hey Knotlenny, I think that the inbalance between builders and players has to do with performance anxiety. It is easier to build a CBG that looks passible enough, and that will draw positive comments than it is for most to play something that sounds passible to our media conditioned ears. I have built scores of CBGs before I got the nerve up to play before another person.

I think that builders measure their work by NOT comparing them to commercial , widely accepted instruments. We are proud to be different. And we can do the box, stick and string with minimal technology. But, players often feel like they could never measure up. And, at least to me, the technology needed to record anything that sounds decent seemed impossible to grasp.

Maybe what would help is those who have the technology of music recording and production mastered to do a series of how to tutorials like the how to build tutorials or Shane's playing tutorials.

For a builder to become a player is a longer evolution. Even if you have playing potential, it seems to me that the journey from the basement to the street is a long and often intimitading one.

Sam,

I will try, on my next original song, to document the process of:

1) Song creating - from scratch: structure, tempo, rhythm, playing technique, key, fingering, tuning, guitar choice, amp selection...whew, this is gonna take hours!
2) Lyric writing - this is gonna be tough, cramming the camera inside my head. And replaying all the books, poems, movies, conversations, relationships, etc. in my life.
3) Recording, both audio and video, the way I do it
4) Post production - editing, tweaking, re-editing, file saving, uploading, self-promotion

Should provide weeks of fun.

Ron, thanks for your taking up the task.  Right now, I am totally "Low-fi" in that anything I record comes of the computer's camera and mic.  I know that I have some gear to do better.  I am a point and grunt learner.  What you are offering should be a big boost.

In a way, what we are talking about is "kitting" for sound/video.  From the early days when Darren Duke and others started selling kits, up to today with Gitty doing the same, this has been a way for many to get their foot in the door for bullding.  In a way that is what you are offering on the performance side.

Ok, so in a few minutes, I'm gonna sit down with my iPhone, and attempt to vid myself writing lyrics to a phrase that popped into my head in the shower this morning, based on the idea that it was time I try to write a country CBG song about drinking. More to come later this afternoon / evening.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->