Looking forward to being able to send messages. Post pictures! Join chat! and all the other things that don't work on this ancient stone tablet of a computer. I might add this ancient computer still works flawlessly. Just to old to update anything anymore.

Views: 598

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And the nightmare began when I turned this new box on..... To make a very long story short I spent 4 hours at an iMac store today. The good news is it wasn't my fault. Charter decided to have service  problems will I was setting up my new toy. Lots of things went wrong. Well It's up and running now and there is a BIG difference! I have all the buttons on top of each post box! I can view and join in chat! Looking forward to being able to not only receive messages. But send them as well. 

As far as migrating files. Looks like I'll be on two computers for a bit. Problem is everything is so out of date on my old mac the new one won't  open things. I tried burning all my passwords from my old version of Pages. Dropped the CD in and uploaded the single page to this new mac. I get this wonderful message. Something about the new version can't read the old version. Hoping to have better luck with Open Office. Will have to get security software uploaded before I start customizing my new toy!  Now as far as all the videos of me playing new and parts of songs. If I can't get these two toys to talk? I'll turn em face to face. Press play on one. Record on the other. I'm not loosing my music. 

Me and technology. I love technology, but we don't get along.... : ).

Spent most of the day on the phone with mac. Pages program keeps freezing. With their help I've dumped it and got a new version, got the latest op system. Did all kinds of interesting things. But it still freezes. So now I'm going to have to get an external hard drive. Save all my files and added programs. Might end up having to erase this computer and start over. Like one tech said. It's a defected file that doesn't want to be fixed. 

Go into your applications -> utilites and start up disk utility. Let it do a diagnosis on your hard drive and on your permissions and see if it turns up anything. Macs and associated software are usually pretty good right out of the box unless something is dead on arrival.

Per your old files, if they are word processing files, go back into your old machine and try saving them out as RTF format. Your new word processor should be able to read the files. RTF stands for Rich Text Format, basically text but preserving things like bold and italic.

Hth

David, two of the three techs went threw my computer with a fine tooth comb. Almost three hours of diagnostics and going places I'd never seen before in this box. One guy had me shut the computer down. Then press a few keys will it was booting back up. Went threw four different and separate diagnostics. Everything checked out. Checked out the path you wrote for me. They had me go there after I restarted my computer. There were a few more options to choose from to the left. And a lot more things happening to the right in that small pop up window. I'll give the RTF file change a try. Thanks for the tip! 

Now I heard today from a techy guy at work that Pages was released with a bug. Going to check around the web and see what I can come up with on that. Really don't want to go threw another three hours of this stuff for a bad program. 

Wow ... Too much fun. My last mac is 2010. Just wondering what I will run into when I finally bite the bullet. Good luck.

I think this box was born with this problem. My old mac is still 100% awesome. Couldn't find anything in any forum about bugs in Pages. So if there is any I'll let the techs on mac's side bring it up. Got my external hard drive. Haven't got it together yet. It'll  be my date for Friday night. Just me, an unresponsive date that does her own thing. And hours of frustration. Just like a real date. : ) 

David, I tried RTF. Found out it doesn't work well with graphic loaded documents. PDF did wonders. I have plenty of regular text documents that will to go RTF. Hundreds of them..... hundreds.... 

Yup ... RTF will only preserve text formatting. You need better than that for mixed text and graphics.
Hmmm ... If you get no joy from the techs, try loading the operating system on the external HD and see if the bugs persist. No sure how you would do that now as it is my understanding there is no dvd. All is done over the net.

Ya, this whole storage on the net thing is something I'm totally against. The first thing the techs would ask about is my iCloud. They weren't pushy about it, but weren't happy with my decision not to use iCloud. Personally I don't think any out of your control storage system is a good idea. If your computer crashes it only effects you. If a 'cloud' crashes it'll rain down on everyone that uses it. Their first idea was to have me back everything up to iCloud. That's why I ended up getting a 2T external hard drive. Was going to need one anyway so that was no big deal. The idea is for me to backup all the data, programs and applications I've got on this box. That includes all my DAWs, publisher programs and the like. Then if they have to, they will wipe my computer clean and start over. The problem I'm having with Pages is actually cascading and getting worst within that program. Nothing else is being effected. As far as I can tell anyway. Going to wait till Monday to get back with them.

Yes, my comment was not directed to clouds, but I am in agreement. I write database systmes for small compamies and I do my best for the most part to keep them off clouds. What I was referring to was the fact that there is no longer an operating system DVD that you can keep in a drawer somewhere. It has to be downloaded/streamed from the app store and installed.

Guess the only good thing is nothing to get lost or damaged......... but still. 

It's a step backward as far as I'm concerned. A computer without a CD/DVD player.  I  got the external drive. Apple is doing a lot of backwards things lately. Their getting rid of iPhoto. Replacing it with this crappy, featureless thing called "Photos". I replaced 'Photos' with iPhoto. I've read a lot of complaints about iMovie. Final cut pro has people pulling their hair out. Apple is releasing stuff with bugs. Replacing working programs with toys. Releasing half ass programs that need countless updates to work right. Wonder of Apple is taking a page from Windows. : ( 

Hooked up the external drive. Got all almost 80gigs of stuff on it. Now good to go. it amazes me. My first computer had a 4 gig hard drive...I have almost 80 gigs on this box. And still have all my music and videos that are still on the old box. When we got our first computer the sales mans told us. "You'll never fill that hard drive up." : )

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

Southern Ray commented on Dogleg Steve's video
Thumbnail

Fiddly Rag from the book Cigar Box Picking by Dogleg Steve

" Sitting here with a silly grin... Thanks, that was well played and fun!"
1 hour ago
Rich commented on Rich's photo
Thumbnail

Retro Radio Tin Whole view

"Thanks, Brian. UJ - appreciate the good review. Doug, this one sat for a while partly done, and…"
5 hours ago
AGP # commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #530 - ''Pink Floyd''

""Thanx A.D." Yep!, Messrs Waters & Gilmore don't seem to be friends anymore :-D"
7 hours ago
7 hours ago
Thumbnail

AGP #532 - '' Black Sabbath''

""Thanks Doug", One more to go, a bit smaller Sign 6" x 12", and not Band…"
7 hours ago
Thumbnail

AGP 8 Stand Carousels

""Thanks  'UJ' & Doug", now have Eleven 8 Stand Carousels, all on…"
7 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Uncle John's photo
Thumbnail

Chugger Review 2nd from left

"Oke ! Rock Caktus ! i got Ye ! Watersavers! and still Cool !"
8 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP 8 Stand Carousels

"The Metal Corner ! fine looking stand & Gits there AGP# ,Still cranking them out like there…"
8 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Rich's photo
Thumbnail

Retro Radio Tin Whole view

"Verry Cool Rich ! real good looker ! and a fine player ! Rock&Roll Radio !"
8 hours ago
Glenn Kaiser commented on Uncle John's photo
Thumbnail

"I love Doug's work too!! -Glenn"
9 hours ago
Glenn Kaiser commented on Uncle John's photo
Thumbnail

"ALL really sweet Uncle John! Congrats! -Glenn"
9 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Dogleg Steve's video
Thumbnail

Dead Mans Rag from the book Cigar Box Picking Rags for 3&4 string Cigar Box Guitar by Dogleg Steve

"Very jaunty Steve! It’s a treat to watch you play. Thanks for sharing."
12 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->