MYSTERY INSTRUMENT: What are these antique dulcimer things?

I recently won these two instruments in an eBay auction.  The seller said that these were found in a Massachusetts house from 1900 that was being demoed.  No other information was given.

First, here's a video tour around them both:

The instruments appear to be handmade and are very similar in construction.  One is 26" long and the other (with a protruding headstock horn) is 28".  

They both feature 18.5" scale lengths, a metal "pickguard" area and body depths between 1.5" and 1.75".  Tuning is via traditional zither pins.

Each instrument features a fretted area and a drone string area.  The frets are made from bent wire that is inserted into holes in the soundboard.  The longer instrument features four strings that are fretted and four strings that are drone.  The shorter has three fretted strings and four drones.

Note the long 16 penny nail used as a bridge. 

The biggest difference between the two is the number of strings and the headstock shape:

Even the soundholes are similar, apparently made by carving an "X" into the soundboard and then adding additional flourishes.

The headstocks and butt ends are separate from the body and were glued on.  You can see the details in the picture of the instruments backs:

These instruments are inspiring me to create my own version.  Perhaps an electric version using a 2x4 and pickups?

So what is it?  Did I buy a holy grail?   Post your observations, conclusions and comments below!  

Views: 2845

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jim,

I too thought of hollowing out a 2x4 (easily done with a router, or several passes with a rotary saw, more difficult with an old school saw, hammer and chisel), but didn't think Shane would want to go to the trouble. Then I realized I have an 8' length of rough cut cedar in the garage, some of which I'll be using for another project, but I'll have about 3 ft left over. Since I mostly have hand tools available right now, except for a jigsaw and power drill, I could shave off a 1/8 soundboard top, have an integrated headstock by doing a Fender style cut-down, do the frets with glued-on Bobby pins a la my SwampWitch, the bridge and nut with available screws or nails, and chop out the soundbox with a combination of the jigsaw, hand saw, and hammer and chisel. Can get some cheapo guitar tuners instead of zither pins...

Yeah, I think I know what I'll be making this weekend. I wonder if it will qualify for the 2x4 lap steel challenge?

Doggone it Ron that's pretty close to what I had in mind for the 2x4 challenge. It would be cool to compare what we both come up with. Then again, the 2x4 upright bass I'm thinking about might be the way I go since the strings came in the mail this morning. Might have to wait and see what rules/stipulations there are for manipulating the 2x4 like cutting it into 1/4" thick planks to make into a box. We'll see.

THIS IS AWESOME!!!  Yes, go nuts on the 2x4 challenge!

I, for one, will certainly try to do that Shane!

I won't make the deadline (family stuff intervened into my build time), but will submit a finished product after the deadline anyway.

Hey Ron, the 2x4 challenge doesn't begin until May. Maybe that'll give you some time. It's the Paint Lid Reso one that ends today. I'll nudge you by saying that I've already got 3/16" planks sawn from the top and bottom so's I can hollow the body out.

Ah! In that case, I need to get busy!

Zither-like instruments with drone strings are widespread in Northern and Central Europe, but not in France, so it would be interesting to know more about Rooster Reaves' information.

Rooster Reeves is correct. These are French "Epinette des Vosges", originating from the Vosges area of France. Christophe Toussaint still makes these http://epinettes.fr/. I have built one of his kits, makes a nice very portable "dulcimer".

Convinced. Found even a photo of an «Epinette des Vosges» with the tin sheet where you pluck the strings as typical for Tennessee Music Boxes:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Épinette_des_Vosges_(1).jpg

Agreed. Gotta build one. Out to the garage...

These are known as board zithers, and come from a mostly European folk instrument tradition. As you can see they were quite influential in the development of the Appalachian dulcimer. Peter Faris

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

All You Got to do is put your Mind to it ! BCB - A .D .Eker 2024

"    You can Rollerskate in a Buffalo Herd !!"
1 hour ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
1 hour ago
A.D.EKER posted a video

All You Got to do is put your Mind to it ! BCB - A .D .Eker 2024

a Tribute to the Great lyricist Roger Miller ,a adapted version of the Tune " You cant Rollerskate in a Buffalo Herd " whit the refrein , on a four string c...
2 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's photo
Thumbnail

BCB Folding Backpacker 21,5 inch Scale

"Thank you all for the Like on the Picture ! appreciated !"
2 hours ago
A.D.EKER left a comment for Order99
"Thanks Order 99 for your take on the Tracks ! Glad you liked them ! much appreciated ! Kind…"
2 hours ago
Order99 liked Doug Thorsvik's video
6 hours ago
Order99 liked Gary O'slide's video
6 hours ago
Order99 liked Dar Stellabotta's video
6 hours ago
Order99 liked Glenn Kaiser's video
7 hours ago
7 hours ago
Order99 liked A.D.EKER's video
7 hours ago
7 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->