Hi all quick question, withe the 151 tuning its fairly straight forward to get the power chords and although I know the fingerings to get major and minor chords but as im still learning playing slide mostly I was wondering if its possible to substitute the major and minor chords with single note from top and bottom string?

For example instead of playing a G major chords I just pluck the bottom string in a GDG tuning, same applies for A major chord except this time press the second fret on bottom string? Etc

For minor chords the same as above except use the top string?

I am aware it wont sound perfect but with a bit of distortion to help was wondering if anyone else has done this starting off! 

Thing is the more I play the more I want to learn more but when things get difficult I dont play as much, so if I get a few songs done in an easy to play fashion I know ill want to progress more ie getting the major and minor chords properly!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Views: 981

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thats sounds like cool idea ive noticed him do that now that I think of it! 

Just say a song is in key of G would the only majors or minors be G also? Or is it possible to for a song to be in keyof G but have for example Amajor or Aminor etc? Or will any major or minor be in whi h ever key the song is?

Something to think about, if you change that 151 GDg tuning to a 513 ADf# tuning ( open D - same string set )  it'll be much easier to sort out major and minor chords.

Hi Robert, can you explain how andcan u still easily get the power chords?

ADf# is Dmaj; barring two frets up gives you Emaj, 3 frets Fmaj, 5th fret Gmaj and so on all based on the root of the chord being on the middle string.

Dropping back 1 fret on the high string (the 3rd of the chord) would give you the minor chord.

Example: Barring across the 5th fret you would have DGB (GMaj) dropping the high string 1 fret gives DGBb (Gm)

Power chords are the 1 and the 5 of the chord so the two low strings at any given fret position give you the power chord. Mute that high string!

7th chords would be made by moving 1 1/2 or 2 steps up on the low string depending on which type of 7th you wanted.

Again with the Gmaj at the 5th fret example, fretting the high and the middle string at the 5th fret and the low string at the 8th fret gives you the G7 chord.

Same thing but fretting the low string at the 9th fret gives you the Gmaj7 chord.

Both theses are partial chords but they sound alright because you have the 1,3, and 7 of the chord.

Once you get comfortable with these simple chord shapes you can explore other shapes for different tonal quality.

Thanks, really good explanation it makes sence to me now! All seems doable apart from G7 and Gmajor7 a bit of a stretch 3 and 4 frets!  Muting the string would that be with the palm of your left hand or finger of your right hand?

Stretching 3 or 4 frets should not be a problem unless you have extremely small hands or an injury.

In either of those cases a shorter scale instrument will help diminish the problem.

Muting can be done either way, in this case I find muting with a spare finger on the fretting hand easiest.

I look kinda funny playing a small scale instrument. I have big old paws, with my index finger on the 5th fret of a 25.5" scale guitar I can fret the 12th clean. A soprano uke pretty much disappears when I get my mitts on it. LOL

If you're playing in the key of G, your major chords are G, C, and D. Minor chords are A, B, and E. F# would be a diminished chord (rare). Lots of blues and rock songs sometimes have an F major chord also.

Of course, there are lots of exceptions. The Beatles, for example, had lots of chords outside of the key on their songs.

Hope this helps.

the blues and rock songs you are talking about actually do this through a trick called 'modulation' ...

in order to deliver that F chord we must temporarily LEAVE the key of G..

Good response, Muddy.

(I erased most of this entry because the software jumbles up the responses...)

Oh well, lotsa' good ideas anyway.

TN

This issue of major/minor comes up a lot on the 3 string and without knowing your fretboard and understanding chord theory there is simply no straightforward solution.

The 3 string is not well suited to chord playing if you're aim is to strum along like a 6 string player would. If on the other hand you treat it like a non-chordal player, say a violinist, there are ways to make it work.

Patrick, I know we had discussions before about incomplete chords (and why J.S. Bach used 'em.)

Robert Jones's suggested tuning above will give you complete major triads on an unfretted 3-string. He also shows how to get 7th chords with root, 3rd and 7th--which is the most popular way to render an "incomplete" 4-note chord with only 3 pitches.

For another alternative, I'm still pretty happy tuning the top 3 strings of "Open E" (G# b e) or "Open D" (F# a d)  tuning. I can get all 3 notes of my triads, but I'll admit it takes some work and flexibility to dig the 7th out of the middle string. (Usually, I strum the triad and then slide up 3 or 4 frets to pick the 7th on just the middle string.)

Either tuning, I usually pick one note at a time because I like the finger-picking sound better, but all of the chord tones are there for the strumming whenever I need 'em.

I wondered about that if you fingerpick one string at a time as opposed to strum is it still technically a chord?

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Copper Hardware

Started by Bill Andy in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Southern Ray 15 hours ago. 11 Replies

Nut

Started by Bill Andy in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Taffy Evans on Sunday. 6 Replies

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

BrianQ. left a comment for Timothy Peter Cooper
1 hour ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

California Dreaming: 3D Printed Cigar Box Guitar

"I agree Alan; she had some serious pipes! Glad you enjoyed this one; it was fun to learn."
8 hours ago
AGP # commented on Wanhavihtahousu's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_5132

"Nice Tins, I'm presuming they all have one of those 3 Pole Magnetic Pickups in them ?? :-)"
10 hours ago
AGP # liked Wanhavihtahousu's photo
10 hours ago
AGP # liked Ghostbuttons's photo
10 hours ago
AGP # commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

California Dreaming: 3D Printed Cigar Box Guitar

"Another Great Choice of Songs Slingers, "Mama Cass" what a Voice! :-)"
10 hours ago
AGP # liked Doug Thorsvik's video
10 hours ago
AGP # commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #533 - ''Beware of Wife''

""Thanks A.D." for the very generous comment :-)"
10 hours ago
Profile IconTimothy Peter Cooper and Sam Tringali joined Cigar Box Nation
13 hours ago
BrianQ. left a comment for Sam Tringali
15 hours ago
BrianQ. liked Doug Thorsvik's video
15 hours ago
Southern Ray replied to Bill Andy's discussion Copper Hardware
"Taffy makes good points. I have no experience either with the paint, but I have a bunch of 50+ year…"
15 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->